Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect fees for extension

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

archtech wrote: »
    I would agree with sinnerboy in allowing the best part of a date for all of the above. Whether the planning is a large one or a small one, with possibly the exception of folding a smaller number of drawings for an extension, the length of time to fill out a form, site notice etc/word the newspaper notice , mark the os map etc is much the same. Because it is normally spread over a number of days, it is quiet easy to loose track of the actual time involved.

I respectfully disagree and again state that it does not take a day to perform the tasks mentioned. 3 hours maximum.
    site notice 10 minutes
    maps 10 minutes
    application form 20 minutes
    newspaper 20 minutes (most of which is spent having to buy it)
    photocoping & printing 1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭mobby

William72 wrote: »
    also looking for some opinions here

we're getting some work done - essentially
    • knocking 2 internal walls
    • changing aspect of existing sunroom roof
    • this will create one space from previous kitchen/dining room/sunroom, so obviously there will be some levelling of floors etc involved
    had an architect around to take a look, there is no planning req'd as extension is already in place but architect said his fees would be a "couple of grand anyway". So assuming he means 2k - what do folks think? Pricey or no? Estimate of work from builder is 20k

In my opinion thats pricey, had a similer job done and paid €1k and it was a handy €1k for the architect i thought for what he did. also wanted to be paid in cash had to make him sign for it in the end, which he was not to happy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A little comment on the word perceived or perception.

I recall doing a job for my cousin a long number of years ago - bit of renovation and a couple of bedrooms being added on to the house. As I was quite friendly with her and our respective families visited each other etc I charged her very little for the work. In fairness I just did the odd hour here and there at random until I had it completed after about 6 or 7 weeks.

I dont recall exactly how much I charged her at the time (it was punts then) but it was probably the equivalent of around €8 - €10/hour in present day rates. This was a nixer btw as I was working for the local council at that time.

Anyhow a few weeks later I heard (through the family grapevine) how she had said that there must have been something wrong with the plans as I didnt charge her much :eek: So much for "family rates"

The point I'm making is that some people perceive the fee charged as being a reflection of the standard of work - the more you charge the more the client thinks its an excellent job. As we all know this is seldom the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Im actually right now thinking of my boss.
    He went to college before the age of computers and CAD and id imagine if he was left to take care of a job from start to finish it just might take as long as you say but it really would be pushing it! Although it really should be noted that he's tediously slow and borderline incompetent .

From my own point of view as an architectural technician i just know i wouldnt have a job if i was that inefficient!

Safe to say we are unlikely to see eye to eye here .

And as for your boss . I assume he is the man keeping you in paid employment during this turbulent time . Hardly incompetent .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

muffler wrote: »
    Brian Cowan earns more that Barak Obama. Using the peanut and monkey analogy does it mean that Obama couldn't even tie Cowan's shoe laces?

Forgive the off-topic comment Muffler,
    But the above isn't true. The so-called fact used by people to complain about the government and their wages, and it's been flung about so much that it is now assume as gospel.

It's nonsense, the two "earnings" aren't even comparable in the slightest.

Anyway, it always bugs me. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

This is really helping out the OP,isnt it???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

As is that comment Paddy.....:rolleyes:

As is that comment Paddy.....:rolleyes:

Well what the hell are you all babbling on about then when its nothing to do with the OP and his/her post.

WTF has Barack Obama or Brian Cowan got to do with this like????:rolleyes:

It's called development of a thread, Paddy. The Opening Post regarding a percentage of the building costs is being expanded upon into an hours per job figure and comparisons of different persons working speeds and the concept of value for money.

Whereas what you are doing could be called Back Seat Modding, Paddy. And guess what, it's against the forum charter, Paddy.

It's called development of a thread, Paddy. The Opening Post regarding a percentage of the building costs is being expanded upon into an hours per job figure and comparisons of different persons working speeds and the concept of value for money.

Whereas what you are doing could be called Back Seat Modding, Paddy. And guess what, it's against the forum charter, Paddy.

Sorry your royal highness.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

God forbid a lesser mere mortal like me give any advice to the OP,like getting a 2nd architects quoattion as a comparrison or that the 1st architect might be trying to make a load more money out of him/her with his way of pricing up things.

Pardon me for daring to even open my mouth,even though posts about Barack Obama and Brian Cowan have nothing to do with the OPs original post about an architects fees.

Starting to get sick of this high and mighty attitude around here.:(

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Starting to get sick of this high and mighty attitude around here.:(

Time you had a break so...
    Have a two week ban to cool off....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,038 ✭✭✭✭muffler

paddy147 wrote: »
    Pardon me for daring to even open my mouth
    Its just that you dont know when to close it again.

Advertisement