Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where was letter posted from in ireland?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

I received an anonymous letter in the post and the postal mark was Port Laoise... anyone know where this could be posted from, or are all letter stamped Port Laoise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

posted from Port Laoise or surrounding environs most likely.

why would all letters go through port laoise? it prob just the local sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Ok... so if a letter was posted form say Wexford there's no way it would have a port Laoise frank on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Port Laoise is a major mail centre. IIRC they get in mail from all over the country, especially parcels/packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Noffles wrote: »
    Ok... so if a letter was posted form say Wexford there's no way it would have a port Laoise frank on it?

It is highly likely to have a PortLaoise stampmark on it. As previous poster said Port Laoise is now a major An Post hub not just a local office and most mail posted in regional towns in Offaly, Tipperary and also Wexford will go through the sorting system in PortLaoise which is why it is possible to find a PortLaoise stampmark on a piece of Wexford mail instead of a local postmark. Local postmarks are practically a thing of the past now so it is often difficult to pinpoint pieces of mail to exactly where they were posted.
    It more then likely was posted in Wexford!
    OP hope this answers your query :)
    P.s : I realize now that Wexford was an exsample but this would apply to other places that encompass the PortLaoise Region ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Well is does and it doesn't... as in I can't tell if it is Dublin or Wexford.. thanks for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Noffles wrote: »
    Well is does and it doesn't... as in I can't tell if it is Dublin or Wexford.. thanks for the responses.

It probably was not posted in Dublin as then it would have had a Dublin Mails Centre postmark "Baile Atha Cliath DMC".
    By the way, there are also other mail centres besides Port Laoise. Most mail from Munster counties is marked "CORK MAILS CENTRE CMC" and mail from Galway and some other western counties is marked "Baile Atha Luain Athlone Mails Centre".

Did the postmark say Post Laoise Mails Centre, or was it a circle with the name of the town and the date inside the circle? If it was the latter, then it could have actually been posted in Port Laoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Kilkenny and some of Tipperary definitely go through Port Laoise too
    I dont think theres no real way to identify where it came from unforunately..

Advertisement