Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its one year this week since Farmleigh

Options
  • 29-09-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Has a single job been created in the year since the Global Economic Forum in Farmleigh last September? The one where it cost a fortune to fly in the cream of the Irish diaspora?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Alwayson wrote: »
    Has a single job been created in the year since the Global Economic Forum in Farmleigh last September? The one where it cost a fortune to fly in the cream of the Irish diaspora?

A fortune you say. How much then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Has a single job been created in the year since the Lisbon Treaty last October?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Nolanger wrote: »
    Has a single job been created in the year since the Lisbon Treaty last October?

Yes, thousands have been created and thousands more will in the coming year because people are still getting jobs, just not en mass as before.. What you're implying is that the Lisbon Treaty resulted in no job creation at all which is a facile statement. Perhaps the Lisbon Treaty was for nothing but it's also impossible to know that it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Didn't they come at their own expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

RichardAnd wrote: »
    Yes, thousands have been created and thousands more will in the coming year because people are still getting jobs, just not en mass as before.. What you're implying is that the Lisbon Treaty resulted in no job creation at all which is a facile statement. Perhaps the Lisbon Treaty was for nothing but it's also impossible to know that it wasn't.

Can you prove that jobs have been created because of the Lisbon Treaty? That treaty was certainly no miracle cure for this economy. And no, I'm not a member of Sinn Fein. The fact that the Government came out yesterday and announced that 400,000-500,000 new jobs will be created in the next FIVE years is two years too late. They should've started to save jobs the second the recession hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

They may flown in themselves but I believe the event itself cost in the region of €300,000 to stage

More specifically how many jobs were created as a direct result of Farmleigh, not how many jobs have been created across the board in the year since Farmleigh.

By the way I don't know the answer, just curious. I followed two projects that came out of it and both seem to have stalled at the feasibility/planning stage, at least temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Can you prove that jobs have been created because of the Lisbon Treaty? That treaty was certainly no miracle cure for this economy. And no, I'm not a member of Sinn Fein. The fact that the Government came out yesterday and announced that 400,000-500,000 new jobs will be created in the next FIVE years is two years too late. They should've started to save jobs the second the recession hit.

I can't prove it, and you can't prove that jobs haven't been created which was my point. And the government announced 300k new jobs, not 4 to 5 hundred k. Either way, apply some salt to both claims.

Underpinning jobs would have been nice to see but it would have had to have been handled very carefully. Let's not forget that hundred of thousands of people were earning their wage in construction projects that were un sustainable. Keeping such things afloat with state money wouldn't have helped in the long run.

I asked a specific question about jobs created by the Farmleigh conference not the Lisbon Treaty. It may be impossible to separate these out, and it certainly looks like the thread is not going to restrict itself to answering my question. My own uninformed answer to my own question is that not very many jobs have been created that can be directly attributed to Farmleigh. Even getting information about Farmleigh projects that might one day generate jobs is very difficult. Ideally someone should do a review called "Farmleigh - One Year On" and let us know. Maybe its a job for Primetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

sure forget about Farmleigh isnt our Minister for Education Calamity Coughlan over in America sorting out lots of jobs for Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

More specifically how many jobs were created as a direct result of Farmleigh, not how many jobs have been created across the board in the year since Farmleigh.
    That's a very interesting question, and one that should be answered. Is there somewhere we can get a list of actual initiatives and projects that emerged from the Farmleigh conference? Not even a progress report, just a definite list. If not, why not, who or which department specifically was responsible for correlating the results of the conference?

Dept of Foreign Affairs organised it. www.globalirishforum.ie. There is a progress report from February on the site. I have sent them the following question:

Its just over a year since the Farmleigh event. Can the Department provide a list of projects that have started as a specific result of Farmleigh, their current status and details of any jobs created as a direct result? Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Dept of Foreign Affairs organised it. www.globalirishforum.ie. There is a progress report from February on the site. I have sent them the following question:

Its just over a year since the Farmleigh event. Can the Department provide a list of projects that have started as a specific result of Farmleigh, their current status and details of any jobs created as a direct result? Thank you.

Two months have passed since that e-mail was sent - has any reply been received from DFA yet?

(Or need I ask?)

Squatter wrote: »
    Two months have passed since that e-mail was sent - has any reply been received from DFA yet?

(Or need I ask?)

They put me on their mailing list and sent me the wrong link to an updated report which I subsequently went searching for and found here http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/IAU/farmleighoneyearon.pdf. It does not contain the words "job" or "employment" which I suppose answers my question.

Advertisement