Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Balbriggan

Options
  • 29-09-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

With all the hype and offer of "up to" 8Mb, I've finally decided to get a landline installed for broadband.

Can anyone in Balbriggan give me their views on their current speeds? I've been told Balbriggan has recently been NGB enabled, with speeds of up to 8mb if the line can handle it.

I am considering using Vodafone, but have been reading terrible reviews. Anyone got any experience?

Also, I would consider using UTV, again anyone in Balbriggan area got speeds experience etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I'm with vodafone (transferred over to them from BT). NGB is enabled for my line and I usually get 7mb down and 0.5mb up. No drop in speeds at all during the day even at peak times during the evening. Can't say I have any complaints for Vodafone. Any changes I've wanted have been promptly answered on the Talk to forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Wimax are knocking on doors too. Ging live in Balbriggan in 4 weeks. Very mixed reviews about the service, (so does voda) but they have no download limits...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

With Vodafone myself (transferred from BT) and previously had major issues with them regarding speed and conectivity.

On a 8mb line I was lucky to get 0.5mb between 5pm and 12am and had regular dropouts. Recently these issues seem to be gone and the speed and connectivity seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm just after organizing eircom to enable a line in my apartment. 130 euro :(

But I don't mind spending money as long as I've a solid connection.

I just saw those wimax things too come into my apartment. Any one actually have it? - it seems cheap but I'm worried that the service will be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dmcgrath

UPC is by far the best ISP in Balbriggan,
    It's not available all over balbriggan,
    Most of Moylaragh and that end has it.

I pay for 30megabits and get 28.9megabits

• Advertisement

Do you know if it's available @ Spicers Building at the Supervalue shop? I was told it wasn't :( - I'd def get UPC though, had it in Cork and was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dmcgrath

I checked the website and it doesnt seem to be but you should never take that for granted, your best bet is to ring them as there online database is often out of date

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just got on the Eircom 8mb NextGen package in Balbriggan, not that impressed with it. Was getting 0.5mb the other morning, at like 10am - hardly peak, but it has been ok 6-7mb at other times.

Used to have 30mb UPC in the last place I lived but the part of Balbriggan I'm in doesnt have UPC broadband available.

Sickened really that I have to pay so much for a crappy service, first bill for two months (in advance) came in there for €130. Ridiculous.

I was on Irish Broadband Ripwave years ago which I think is a similiar set up to WiMax, obviously WiMax speeds are better at up to 7mb than what Ripwave was offering, 2mb iirc. The wireless broadband set up is fine, but if you're online gaming my opinion is that you need a fixed line, DSL/Cable if you want a solid connection with decent pings. Havent tried the WiMax though so can't speak for definite.

That sounds bad alright. Though I have eircom back home, the 3mb and it is quite good and stable.

I'll be getting 3mb again I think.

I'll have to let wimax go I think, 6 weeks is too far for me :(

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote: »
    That sounds bad alright. Though I have eircom back home, the 3mb and it is quite good and stable.

I'll be getting 3mb again I think.

I'll have to let wimax go I think, 6 weeks is too far for me :(

Who told you 6 weeks? I ordered 4 weeks ago and was told it would be 4 weeks??

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Who told you 6 weeks? I ordered 4 weeks ago and was told it would be 4 weeks??

Middle of January now and I just cancelled as Imagine still are only in discussion about Balbriggan going live. Lots of excuses up to now, but the mast is still not built, nor is there a sign of it.

I live near the Garda station, so no UPC for me (typical). Whats the recomendation? Thinking of the Voda 8Mb. Voda has some good reviews above.

Middle of January now and I just cancelled as Imagine still are only in discussion about Balbriggan going live. Lots of excuses up to now, but the mast is still not built, nor is there a sign of it.

I live near the Garda station, so no UPC for me (typical). Whats the recomendation? Thinking of the Voda 8Mb. Voda has some good reviews above.
    You serious! It still not there?

Wow thank **** I ordered DSL then. They told me it would be there 2 weeks. I told them, I can't wait two weeks. It's a bit more than even 2 weeks now!

Webmonkey wrote: »
    You serious! It still not there?

Wow thank **** I ordered DSL then. They told me it would be there 2 weeks. I told them, I can't wait two weeks. It's a bit more than even 2 weeks now!

I know. I have been holding off with a mobile dongle, and have lost the will to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Couple of friends live down near the Garda station (Westbrook and Ashfield), both get 8MB with Vodafone. I have it myself, but I'm on the older exchange in the town so you don't get the full 8MB. Until recently it was only 4MB, but something happened the last time they reset the line and I get about 6MB now, which isn't too bad.

Cheers, you wouldn't know where the actual exchanges are, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Cheers, you wouldn't know where the actual exchanges are, would you?

One is behind the old Garda station which is opposite the Combined Clubs building (that's the old exchange). The other is near the petrol station (was the Shell garage, I'm not sure who supplies the petrol now), not on the new Garda station side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

To the best of my knowledge there is only now 1 exchange serving the greater Balbriggan area and it is located beside McLoughlins, just opposite the SVP shop. I may be wrong here but I think both Vodafone and B.T. (and ex-Perlico) customers are served by the same exchange which has been upgraded to the basic 8meg.

To continue from my posts earlier in this very old thread. Imagine finally went live about 2 months ago. Has anyone gone with them in Balbriggan? I am looking for reports. A friend on mine has it in Drogheda and swears by it, but I have heard a lot of bad reports too. I ended up re-ordering off them after cancelling my first order when they kept extending the launch date, and the exact ssame thing happened the second time I ordered too! Two cancelled orders and then it went live..... A lot of lies from customer care, so they are not a company I neccesarily trus, but if the service is good nothing else really matters.

So..... Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is UPC not an option for you Jim? I had been living in the city centre and was with them for several years. I had thought moving out to Balbriggan I wouldn't be able to avail of the service but no, they are slowly rolling it out in the area.

• Advertisement

Signed up for 25MB UPC and got it installed last Tuesday. Have had a lot of issues with the wireless router/modem but when it does work the speed is very good

Is UPC not an option for you Jim? I had been living in the city centre and was with them for several years. I had thought moving out to Balbriggan I wouldn't be able to avail of the service but no, they are slowly rolling it out in the area.

I wish! Sadly UPC does not service my estate. They have told me over the phone that they dont know when they will, but it certainly wont be this year. I am on a Meteor dongle atm but am starting online college in september and need a lot more stability. UPC would be a dream. Eircom and Voda are just soooo dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I've been told by their staff that Imagine have 2 masts in Balbriggan BUT that they are both located in the carpark of Lidl. The further up the hills out of the town you go the more difficult it is to get a consistent signal.

In saying all that we're with another landline supplier and I'd be open to trying them out if I found someone in the immediate area who was happy.

Eoineo wrote: »
    I've been told by their staff that Imagine have 2 masts in Balbriggan BUT that they are both located in the carpark of Lidl. The further up the hills out of the town you go the more difficult it is to get a consistent signal.

In saying all that we're with another landline supplier and I'd be open to trying them out if I found someone in the immediate area who was happy.

That's interesting, 2 separate representatives told me that the one mast they had was in millfield, but like I said, I have no trust for the company. The friend of mine in drogheda is with it a year and swears by it, but over in the midband forum there is an imagine complaints thread that must be 100 pages. With the site being so new in Balbriggan, it should be a top notch service immediately with a drop off in quality as the number of users grow, but I'm still waiting for any specifically local feedback.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Up in chieftains way in balbriggan with 8mb Vodafone wireless home broadband. drops consistently every evening betweek 8pm and 12am. VERY frustrating TBH and am now considering switching elsewhere. pain in my face trooping up and down stairs to reset the modem in the vain hope that it will reconnect. Would love to know if anyone else in the area close by has similiar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Morphéus wrote: »
    Up in chieftains way in balbriggan with 8mb Vodafone wireless home broadband. drops consistently every evening betweek 8pm and 12am. VERY frustrating TBH and am now considering switching elsewhere. pain in my face trooping up and down stairs to reset the modem in the vain hope that it will reconnect. Would love to know if anyone else in the area close by has similiar issues?
    Yes!
    If I ring to complain I get told my splitter is broken (it's not), my router is at fault (not that either), that somebody else in the area has a stronger router signal etc, etc. NEVER their fault which drives me loopy. If I do a speedtest the "ping" is through the roof when the speed is down.

As far as I know if you are using DSL all the companys are just reselling Eircom. If you switch around you will still have the same issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

This is sh*te. was seriously considering changing to a different provider.... now not so sure. Anybody from the area of chieftains way balbriggan, please let us know if you have good Broadband service and who your provider is?!?

I have UPC 25mb broadband and it is fine now. Had issues with the modem they provided initially but have a different one now and it is fine.

Go to their website and you can input your address and see if you can get BB from them

• Advertisement
Advertisement