Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot get computer on workgroup

Options
  • 29-09-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Everyone,
    I'm now 2 days trying tio figure this out! I have a very old (1997ish) pc and a not too old one (2001) both xp. I'm trying to connect the two for file sharing. I am using a cat5 crossover cable. The old pc didn't have a network card so i bought 1 and also an usb to ethernet adapter (in case the card didn't take). I have set up ip addresses, pinged, firewalls etc everything i can think of. The newer pc seems to be set up and ready to go and is showing in the workgroup but no matter what i do i can't get the old pc to show in a workgroup. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Ps i would list everything i've done so far but it's quite long so feel free to ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Are you sharing something (e.g. a folder) on both computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishbird01

Yes, basically i want to share the documents folder on the older pc with the newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you opened the firewall ports to allow sharing on the older PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Yes, basically i want to share the documents folder on the older pc with the newer one.

Yes but are you actually sharing it at the moment, i.e. have you already enabled sharing on that folder?

no i don't think so, although i'm not sure how to do that. I mean i've turned firewall off but i'm assuming this is different?

• Advertisement

sorry, yes i am

Actually sorry but i did get to that step of opening the ports but when i want to add a new port i don't know
    a) what name do i put in?
    b) how do get the port number
    c) is it tcp or udp and what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Right click the folder you want to share,-->Sharing and Security, choose a share name, choose if you want the other end to be able to alter files, then OK.
    Find IP of pc with that folder

On the other pc, in Explorer, Tools-->Map Network Drive, enter something like
    \\192.168.1.2\sharename
    depending on your IP scheme and sharename

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

under exceptions you will see file and printer sharing, just tick that then the ports should be open. This assumes you are using windows firewall.

ok thanks alot guys for your help, i'll give it a bash:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement