Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you walk your dog?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how often do you all walk your dogs?

I was reading a thread earlier and was shocked to see that someone admitted to never walking their dogs. I was thinking about it and realised that alot of my neighbours have dogs but you never see them being walked at all.

My dog is only 7months old so she can only be walked for 35mins per day. She gets a least one walk every single day for 35mins (rain,hail or shine) and if I am going to be gone for a few hours I split this into two walks to tire her out when I am gone. If I left her for a day without being walked she would be mental.
    She got spayed last Friday (walked her in the morning before I brought her in) and thought she wouldn't be able for it for a few days but Saturday morning she was bouncing so brought her out that evening.

Now I don't think I deserve a medal for this as this is what I signed up to when I got her and is as much part of my daily rountine as brushing my teeth so just wondering what all you guys think??

wanted to put up a poll but don't know how!!

edit: just to say I don't want to offend anyone or come across as patronising am genuinely just interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

45-60 minutes every day, barring apocalyptic weather. If they're not walked by 8pm one of them goes completely bonkers; running around the living room, making 'raaaarrrraaaa' noises, pawing you, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll be honest about it, at the moment - hardly ever.

I dislocated my ankle in June and still can't walk properly myself, so they're brought out for a spin and exercised in fields.

I used to bring them to Portmarnock beach and walk them two miles up the beach and let them free free, but because people are terrified of their breed I can no longer do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

About 30-60 mins a day, usually more at the weekends. We have two dogs with very different energy requirements though so our pug runs/trots along at his leisure and our staffy chases a ball like a mad thing for the same time.

So the pug gets a good leisurely stroll and the staffy gets some non-stop mental sprinting after a tennis ball for that period :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

3 times a day - for differing lengths but at least one run off the lead, but for my dogs mental health there has to be a routine of getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Twice a day.

Free running in fields at work for about 30 mins at lunchtime then a big walk for 45mins - hour in evening somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Normally once a day straight after work, actually need to get going shortly, for an hour, including about 10 - 15 minutes off lead in a nearby field where a lot of locals let their dogs off, so they have a good play together.
    Plus she gets good play time with my hubbie most nights with the ball in the back garden, running after him and generally just enjoying herself.
    In truth occasionally she's gone a night without her walk and she's normally fine until the following night when she's mental til she gets out. Plus she hates heavy rain and getting wet so that sometimes stops us too. But only very occassionally. I signed on for daily walks so it's what she gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Usually twice a day.
    About 20 mins in the morning and then about 45 mins in the evening(which would include about 10 mins off lead).

Was funny during the summer used to meet the same people out walking in the evening but dont see half of them anymore now that the evenings are a bit colder and wetter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I guess anyone who cares enough about their dogs to post on here would be walking them :D:D

Totally agree barbiegirl - that is my mentality towards it aswell.

I am lucky in that myself and the OH split the doggie care so on the odd day that one of us is sick/busy/whatever the other does the walking. Most evenings it is both of us though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Usually 3 times a day, varies but around 50 minutes per day. Dog comes to work with me so it's handy enough to give him plenty of exercise:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Our one is a tiny whippet mix, about the size of a jack russell. Himself takes her for 15/20 mins in the morning, dog walker has her for 3 hours from 12 to 3 where the lets her off with the other dogs (she has 6000 sq. m. in a forest close by) and I take her for an hour in the evening.

She takes ages to wear out which is surprising because I walk quite fast so we cover quite alot of ground on our walks- the odd time we take her to a forest park and we let her off the lead, but we don't really need to do this as she gets it with the dog walker.

I see it as absolute routine though- we really love the time we spend out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

my boy usually gets 20- 30 minutes before work and about 45 minutes in the evening around twice a week he gets to go for off lead walks on my family farm or in a forest I really cant imagine why you would get a dog and not walk and for the record anyone who tells you bassets are lazy are lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Anything from 2 to 5 or more times a day, but it varies. I try to give them one off lead run everyday, couple of 10 min walks to the shop/round the block type walks, maybe a longer one if I'm up to it.
    I'd say we average 40mins to 1 hr most days. We sometimes do the beach at the weekend, and we live near a river with great walks through the woods. If its really wet all day they may get 2 short walks, but I try to make up for that by playing games and training them indoors.
    I have to admit this week its been off lead runs and short walks due to a mix of rain and illness. I'd have to be REALLY sick or in serious pain not to walk them, and it has happened, but they are pretty good and my daughter plays with them, teaching them tricks to tire them out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

I'd say about 45 mins, 5 times a week. My dog is not a particularly large breed and seems more than satisfied with a brisk walk on a flexi lead. We have a large garden that she loves playing in, and she never pesters us to walk her, but it's obviously important to keep her active and social. During the summer months, or when my schedule isn't particularly busy, she'll get 45 mins every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Very minimum 2 times every day morning and evening but usually 3-4 times a day all free running in fields. we dont lead walk much at all any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I take all of mine out for about 20 mins in the morning, most of which is off lead. Then I will take each of them out on their own for about 20/30 mins during the day except the oldest girl who doesn't need anymore then the morning walk. She's 10 and suffering a bit with her joints.

The terriers spend most of their day playing with each other in the garden and chasing each other around. I also spend some time doing some training with the youngest one.

If I don't spend that much time with them our house would be chaos, as it is I have 2 terriers on the couch with me, one sitting on my daughters lap and the big guy is curled up in his cardboard box and they are all snoring away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

She gets walked on lead every morning for 10 - 15 mins. Most afternoons or evenings she gets an off lead run for an hour and sometimes more.

I am aware of the 5 min rule for puppies but this does not satisfy her one bit and we would have a grumpy wee thing for the evening if we limited her to 20 mins.

There have been days where she didn't get the run in the evening as we were at a dog show or obedience class and we were all too tired on return. This is rare.

Having a dog is a great way of promoting family fitness! It used to be a nightmare trying to get my other half out for a walk. Now he is nearly as keen as the pup! ;) Daughter is benefiting also and learning lots about nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

An hour a day on the weekdays (plus some agility work), on Saturday there's an hour walk then my Rottie does Agility Training, on Sunday it's usually a couple of hours up a moutain or at a beach or somewhere that is different to the 'normal' walk just to keep things interesting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

My little 8 month old shih tzu gets 15 mins morning then evening with a trip out to park during day most times. If i let her off lead, she tires herself out in 20 mins running around in circles at warp speed.;) BTW she went into heat yesterday for the first time................... My poor little girl doesn't know what's happening to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

i have a bichon frise, hes only a year old, and he acts like clock work
    he gets 3 walks a day, thats what he wants...lol...one in morning one in evening an 3rd before bed time, he actually knows when its time an when he wants to go out, he stares an barks at you, he loves been out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

30 min walk to park, 30-60 mins (depending on the weather) off lead chasing balls then 30 min walk home 6 days a week. If it's raining really heavily then I'm afraid it's just a swift 30-40 min walk round the neighbourhood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My fella gets at least 2 mile walk every day with my husband. Most of it's off-lead in the park, with the occasional brisk walk around the streets.

It doesn't sound like much, but as he's a Shih Tzu, that's more than enough. He then spends the afternoon having a snooze. Sets him up nicely for his lunch, then more snoozing until dinner time!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

5 times a day:
    1h in the morning
    15 mins- just before work
    15 mins just after work
    2h evening walk
    15mins - just before going to sleep.

I have westie, and he loves to spent time outside, I don have back yard:-(

My neighbors dont walk their dogs as well. Their dogs are walking themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

planetX wrote: »
    3 times a day - for differing lengths but at least one run off the lead, but for my dogs mental health there has to be a routine of getting out.
    same as

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I walk my dog three to five days a week. I bring her to Abbeyside park and leave her off the lead for twenty minutes. She gets out for an hour each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Steve30x wrote: »
    I walk my dog three to five days a week. I bring her to Abbeyside park and leave her off the lead for twenty minutes. She gets out for an hour each time.

Steve if you are in Dungarvan do you ever go out to the cunnigar beach for a walk? I used to bring our lot down there and they loved it. When the tide is out it is a great walk down the dunes and back the beach:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Most days we bring them down by the lake and walk/jog about 2k, they are only small and this seems to be enough for them. At the weekend it would usually be longer and mostly offlead (for one of them) in a field near my Mam's house.

When we were moving into our house we didnt bring them everyday for a few weeks and the difference in them was crazy. They were so hyper and when they did get out going mad on the lead. Just too much pent up energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

ppink wrote: »
    Steve if you are in Dungarvan do you ever go out to the cunnigar beach for a walk? I used to bring our lot down there and they loved it. When the tide is out it is a great walk down the dunes and back the beach:)
    Thats a bit too far to walk and I cant drive because I dont have a car. If I had a car I would go to the cunnigar , goat Island and on a forest walk with her more often. I just dont go walking every day because after living in this town for 37 years I am fed up of looking at the same sights each timne I want to bring my dog for a walk.

My guy gets walked 3 times a day on the weekdays - short one in the morning, usually an hour or two in the middle of the day (a friend walks them for a bit of cash), and a short one in the evening. He's a greyhound so doesn't need a lot of walking time anyways.

Weekends though, often it could just be a long one each day in Bushy Park and that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

30min Monday to Thursday (road walks). 60min Friday to Sunday either beach or Forest walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Only 15 mins per day and thats not every day. 3month old and every day he's outside tearing around the fields. Have to keep him in order for him not to do too much. Difficult.

Advertisement