Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone and Cycling

• 29-09-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi there Boardies :D

I have a nice shiny new iPhone 4. I want to bling the auld bike up and slap it on the handlebars.

Seems to be loads of options, but the questions are:

1. Should I? :confused:
    2. What is the best option for mounting it?
    3. Should I plug in the DigiFit and go for it?

Possible options so far are:

1. Tigra Bike Console
    2. Biologic Bike Mount
    3. iPhone Bike Holster on stem

Last one looks neat and just requires you to put a plastic bag over the phone to keep it waterproof.

Wadda ya think?

Mounting an iPhone 4 on a bike? 19 votes

Do it!
    0%
    Are you nuts?
    36%
    StokolanyoucancallmealmacnabbitemybangerMuller_1seeing_iepajero12 7 votes
    Use a sandwhich bag in your back pocket!
    63%
    ednwirelandPWEILumenblahblah06BlowfishPlastikTaltos-Chris-CheGuedaraKeithM89_oldCarlosKpolariz 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Get a garmin 800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Battery life is a big issue if you are planning on doing anything over a couple of hours.

More here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032661&highlight=iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Agree with Raam, I have an iphone but battery life is an issue, the phone is big on the handlebars, the mounts are not great as far as I know, and it won't do as good a job as a good cycle computer without the extra add ons which will cost reasonable money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I had my HTC Desire mounted to my handlebars, now I just throw it in the back pocket of my jersey, works just as well and feels much safer to me........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Inquitus wrote: »
    I had my HTC Desire mounted to my handlebars, now I just throw it in the back pocket of my jersey, works just as well and feels much safer to me........

Damn you, I've been after one of those for months. Stupid Vodafone.

</offtopic>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i phone 4 glass front glass back mounted on handlebars ............................

show us the pics when it falls off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Lumen wrote: »

</offtopic>
    Hi,
    I know nothing about phones but see a HTC Wildfire is on my possiable upgrade list from 3 not sure if it is worse or better model than the desire how did u find the phone never heard of them and just wondering.Sorry OP for goin g off topic but not sure if i would put in on the bars but prob just as safe there as in your back pocket if u come off the bike.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Are you nuts?
    I carry my palm pre in my pocket, but I would love to be able to see my stats live as I cycle. I am only doing 40 minute cycles at the moment as I am returning to cycling after a few years off, but even so the app drains the battery. So I will have to invest in a computer long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Im not sure what the holders for the iPhones are like, but I'd take care as its an expensive piece of kit and it doesn't take knocks and bangs too well... trust me, I found out the hard way.

Anyway, one thing to consider about the software on the iPhone's is that if you're planning on using "Apps" to track your routes and progress, beware of the signal trouble with the phones. My phone in particular has real sh1tty signal, and most of the apps will depend on a decent/strong 3G signal to track your routes and speeds. Another thing to think about is that if you get a call (and even sometimes if you get a text), then your progress will stop or pause until you've dealt with the call or cancelled the text. I know this only takes a min or 2, but its hard to sort it out when you're in transit and trying to stay safe during your spin. And you may think that "Airplane Mode" will sort this out... only you need your 3G signal for everything else.

Well, there are plenty of applications out there for cycling/running etc.... and I suppose the holders aren't too pricey, so it'd probably be no harm to try one out for a bit and see how it goes for you, but you may end up opting for a Garmin or other tracker in the future, they're really reliable and robust. The iPhone's certainly aren't robust.

Let us know how it goes for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lumen wrote: »

</offtopic>

The HTC Desire HD is out in a couple of weeks, almost certainly will come to Voda, slightly more powerful, 8Gb of onboard storage, will be a bit bigger mind as it has a 4.3" screen, worth a look imo, if the size doesn't bother you it will be a smashing phone.

</offtopic>

I use Cardiotrainer on Android, bought the Pro version and find it's great. I am good for up to about 6 hours using the gps to record my exertions.

I recently got a free old iPhone 3G and was considering using it instead and purchasing this cadence / speed kit.

http://www.newpotatotech.com/LiveRider/liverider.html

Not sure its worth it though, might be better to sell the phone and buy a garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Are you nuts?
    I use the I-pod armband, no chance of it falling off. I have the runkeeper app open and listen to music and have no problem with batt life. Also I-p4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I know nothing about phones but see a HTC Wildfire is on my possiable upgrade list from 3 not sure if it is worse or better model than the desire how did u find the phone never heard of them and just wondering.Sorry OP for goin g off topic but not sure if i would put in on the bars but prob just as safe there as in your back pocket if u come off the bike.
    Mike

The wildfire is the budget HTC offering. The screen is not the best, not OLED and pretty low resolution. Hardware isn't the most powerful either. The desire is light years ahead of it.

Having said that, my brother has a wildfire (student, probably the target demographic) and likes it for the basic texting and occasional surfing or facebook updating.

Save your upgrade for the Desire HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

On the positive side people would say 'oh look... he has an iphone on his bike, how cool'
    however others would say 'look at that w*&ker'

It really is up to personal taste and how much you'll willing to risk your phone just to bling your bike up. There is a large chance you will damage your phone either from falling, vibrations, rain, being nicked when you stop at traffic lights etc etc.
    Personally I'd bag it and keep it in your pocket or use an arm strap. I use the strap and find them great..... but thats just my own personal taste:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

I use the app "imapmyride"... Just hit the start button, throw the phone in your bag/pocket etc and cycle to your hearts content. It works while the phone is on standby mode so you don't have to panic about battery...

However if you want to mount it for navigation reasons or even just ease of access I would suggest using something different as the battery won't last with the screen constantly on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I've got then 3G equivalent of this one and it's rock solid.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Bike-Bicycle-MOUNT-HOLDER-STAND-KIT-iPhone-4-4G-4th-/260663976199?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item3cb0c8a107

needed a bit of sat nav on my spin last sunday and was glad of the handlebar mount.

My spins are 2.5 hour max so battery life isn't a huge issue for me

Advertisement