Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem neighbours!!!

Options
  • 29-09-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    First time post. I moved to a quiet housing estate near portlaoise a few years ago. All nice and quiet and lovely estate.

That was until 9 months ago when a family moved in right across the road from us. This family are absolute hell. They are a mother and father and they have 11 (!) kids, all under 16. So far since they moved in we have had: My car window broken into twice, tyres slashed twiced, kids out playing until 3 or 4 in the morning (EVEN THE 2/3 year old), Parents out at 2/3/4 shouting at them etc....

Its driving me and a few neighbours mental. Now I have a young family and new born baby and trying to get him off to sleep with this noise is hell. I would LOVE to move but unfortunately no one would buy here.

Today, I awoke to find my car tyres slashed. I went to the Garda station to report it and said enough is enough what are you doing about it. I have no proof that it is this family - it may be coincidence that all this happened since they moved. I have seen them around my car the night the window got smashed and another neighbour had them open her front door at 3 in the morning.

The Gardai today told me that there is nothing they can do. The HSE has their back. That they have got 1000s of compaints about them, even witnessed them breaking the law, but all they get from the parents is "My your own business". They Gardai said that there hands are tied as they are under 18 and that they have been to court, they have been told they are not allowed out after 11, but like the Gardai said "We know when we drive into the estate they run and come straight back out again".

I asked them who can I contact in the HSE and they told me they don't know as they can't find out which HSE it is.

They told me to ring the landlord. Now the landlord is an obnoxious wagon at the best of times (my wifes sister rented from him years ago) and I can't see him wanting to remove tenants who are paying him every month, well the HSE.

Im at my wits end. Cant sleep with the noise and cant move house either.

Any advice before I go mental?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Erect CCTV to have evidence of car damage for starters. Maybe get onto a local councillor/TD to push the issue as you have other neighbours on your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 matt76

thanks, the gardai suggested the CCTV but also told me that if I do install it and they do something, I could press charges but then I would have to live with the consiquences. He said the family have no morals and would be liable to do anything.

I do have some neighbours on my side but bar one, I think the others would be too afraid to do anything. Maybe I am wrong but I get that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

matt76 wrote: »
    The Gardai today told me that there is nothing they can do. The HSE has their back.
    Are these poeple travellers, refugees, or roma? If they're not, and they are Irish, they were probably moved from another location after giving them hell. My advice: google their names, and see if the parents names come up under any court cases, etc. Find out how they were removed from the last place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leshogan

petrol, matches....poof

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

leshogan wrote: »
    petrol, matches....poof

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I saw a documentary on rte ,anti social behavior, person was getting hassled by kids, they got camera ,filmed the kids breaking the law, .
    They went to council,complained, with videotape evidence, also complain to hse, the problem was solved.
    You can buy a camera 70 euro, place in a high window, connect to vcr, press record, use lp,mode ,longplay tape= 8 hours.
    With 11 kids ,the chances are your neighbours are effected too,talk to them, if 3 or 4 familys complain to hse,council they,ll take notice, also see your local td.
    They council may not have time to collect edvidence against kids, but its hard to deny a video of someone committing vandalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

that's terrible op, you must feel so trapped in that sort of situation.
    DEFINITELY get on to the HSE. if you know their names, then just demand that they do something about it. Get onto the landlord and tell him that you've had enough and that if HE doesnt do something about it, you will be contacting your local TD and the HSE to have the family removed.

you should DEFINITELY do up a petition, get your neighbours to sign it, then hand it in to HSE, local TD, councillors, etc...

contact the housing department of your local council too. They would be VERY interested to know what their tenants are up to, as they are essentially the ones who can cut them off, or at the least, move them on to somewhere else more suitable for a family like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 matt76

Hi,

haha lea im sorry you got banned over that comment:)

I got on to my TD and I have forwarded him the information. If the guards cant find out which HSE area they belong too i doubt i can. Or is it a case they just told me that? They moved from Dublin so the guards don't know if its Dublin or down here.

I know the neighbours won't sign a petition due to fear and I don't want to go around asking. I wouldn't mind doing it at all only for the fact I have to live here with them until/if they get moved.

I found out the landlord is NOT registered with the PRTB (Do they have to be?). I wonder if he is paying tax.

I like the sound of the camera but you know what - I since found out that 2 of the kids smashed up the windows in the school. And apparently they got off with it because of their age. I heard as well that the HSE footed the bill. How true that is i don't know. That makes my blood boil.

These people have no respect for anyone, anything or even the house they are living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They told me to ring the landlord. Now the landlord is an obnoxious wagon at the best of times (my wifes sister rented from him years ago) and I can't see him wanting to remove tenants who are paying him every month, well the HSE.

The landlord is responsible to you for the behaviour of their tenants. A direct, factual letter to her, putting her on notice may get you somewhere. Check out www.prtb.ie - I think there is a sample letter there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

reading this, I'm just speechless, or more furious close to exploding. can anybody answer me for what the garda is there for?

for what do they get their money??????? sitting in their offices, drive around in their cars doing nothing, obviously.
    these people/kids are committing crimes and terrorising the neighbours and the garda is doing NOTHING? it's beyond any comprehension. and it is a common problem, not the first thread about it.

these people are allowed to terrorise because garda is afraid to do anything as they are in fear of revenge, as everybody else around. where should this lead? it's a kind of anarchy. why are people accepting this? why is there no protection for civilized, taxpaying people?

as well I can't get why nobody knows which hse is responsible. why it is not the hse of the area they(you) live in??? thought that's the way it is managed.

op, I feel for you, it's a horrible situation, is there no way to get all the neighbours together, organise yourself, so there's a group which can put pressure on hse/garda/td and whoever else. you mentioned the landlord is not registered with the prtb. that's a point, for sure he has to be registered.

you might contact the media/tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

it sure seems like a tricky situation to be in. are any of the other neighbours being targeted by this family? if so, would they not be interested in signing a petition?

the best bet, would seem to be just KEEP ON at the Gardaí because eventually, they will HAVE to do something about it. there's only so much that they can ignore comfortably.

seriously, just keep on ringing them, call into the station, do not rely solely on the "community garda" because they may not be bothered.

if it doesnt work out, start taking a different route. try and find out ways to make life difficult for the family themselves. complain to social welfare about them, ring up confidential garda line and complain about them again and again, and keep a record of ALL incidents that occur.

they're bullies, and the best way sometimes (as scary as it sounds) to deal with people like this is to bully them back because that's all they understand.

i know theyre just "kids" but i've seen their type before and it's like dealing with wild animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

they're bullies, and the best way sometimes (as scary as it sounds) to deal with people like this is to bully them back because that's all they understand.

i know theyre just "kids" but i've seen their type before and it's like dealing with wild animals.

totally agree. Im not going to say what I would do if Im in the OP's situation or Id be banned but these people only respond to one thing. They prey on the fact people are too scared to stand up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Seabreeze

I would go down the route first of kicking ass with the landlord.
    A good friend of mine bought his own house on a nice new respectable estate in a small Irish town not to far away from you OP!
    After a few months the witch from hell and her spawn moved in. Wasn't long before there was drug fuelled parties etc going on and then all the houses were broken into! gardai were called and they told my friend they had their "suspicions" who it was but "No Evidence"!!!!!
    My friend tried the diplomatic approach with this person but it got worse so he found out the landlords details (not sure if it was from the HSE) and rang the landlord (a well heeled gentleman) to explain what the problem was. landlord said he would look into it but nothing happened.
    The next night my friend was kept awake with thumping music from this HSE sponging lowlife he decided to ring the landlord at 3.30 am :D Landlord screamed down the phone to him "what did he think he was doing ringing him at this hour of the morning" and my friend just replied that this is what he was been subjected to by his tenant at 3 am every morning and was now listening to thumping music from nextdoor!
    Landlord moved pretty promptly when he heard all about his HSE Tenant who came to him "with glowing references".
    Try the landlord route first and kick ass!
    My friend I hasten to add had all his neighbours behind him. Tenant was moved unfortunately on to somewhere else to reek trouble and havoc.

Seabreeze wrote: »
    I would go down the route first of kicking ass with the landlord.
    Perhaps better phrasing might be in order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Seabreeze

Victor wrote: »
    Perhaps better phrasing might be in order?
    Apologies if you, landlords or others were offended by my "phraseology" 031.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

thanks, the gardai suggested the CCTV but also told me that if I do install it and they do something, I could press charges but then I would have to live with the consiquences. He said the family have no morals and would be liable to do anything.

I do have some neighbours on my side but bar one, I think the others would be too afraid to do anything. Maybe I am wrong but I get that feeling.

And these are our protectors? Go over the local garda heads. This is not about morals; it is about the law.

Thread split.

Old thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement