Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Comeback??

Options
  • 29-09-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I own an apartment, which i had rented out to someone for the last 2 and a half years. She was renting one room from me and at times there was others also living in the apt. At time I was not registered at with the prtb and it was a verbal agreement we had.

She moved out last month and left the place in a right state. I had given her 3 months notice to move out as i wanted to lease the apt out fully as one property.She never met me to give back the keys but left them in the post box and on my arrival into the apt i could see why.

The place was an absolute dump. She hadnt hoovered, polished or cleaned in weeks. She'd left food in the firdge, freezer and presses. It took me 4 days of hard work to get the place looking presentable, as well as having to throw out duvets, sheets etc.

She left me with an electricity bill for over €300 and didnt inform me the shower wasnt working and its just cost me €1000 to get a new pump and repair work done on this. ( due to water getting on the electrics - when she was the only resident of the place)

what i want to know now is, is there any way i can get som of this money back from her? yes i know i should have been registered with the prtb etctin hindsight, but at the start she was a wonderful tenant who always paid the rent etc.

any advice would be great
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Did you get a security deposit from her when she first moved in? That's normal procedure and is usually equivalent to one month's rent. It's to cover damages caused by the tenant beyond normal wear and tear and is usually only returned to the tenant when they hand back the keys and an inspection has been carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miss_bongi

yes i got a deposit from her... which i have kept, but it doesnt come near to covering the cost of the mess she left behind her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Ooh, I'm not sure then. Maybe someone here with more knowledge can tell you if there's something you can do along the legal route or maybe ask if the Legal forum if small claims court is an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You really should have been registered with the PRTB - you can not open a process against her without paying at least a late fee to the PRTB for having not been registered.

An inspection at the time that you served notice would have been a good idea as well.

Might be one to chalk up to experience, living & learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Did you inform Revenue about the rental? Would seem odd to declare to Revenue but not to the PRTB given the latter is less bothersome on the face of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Unless you can appeal to your ex tenant's sense of fair play and arrive at a reasonable figure you need to let this one go.
    The PRTB (hopelessly inept, tenant protecting bunglers as they are) is really your only port of call and they're not going to help you.

Advertisement