Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taste of the Sea

• 29-09-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Found this brilliant frozen seafood place in Glasnevin next to Lidl. Really strange location but they have everything. All is frozen without packaging, you select what you want and weigh it. It's large and they have everything. I even got an octopus which I haven't had in ages.

Good prices too, I thought.

Website is www.tasteofthesea.ie

If you're a lover of seafood like myself you will love this place.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks for that - i driven past it a few times and was wondering what its like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Called in on Sunday - great place. Had to stop myself buying to much! In the end settled for 2 sea bass, 2 filets Sea Trout and a big bag of frozen porcini mushrooms all and a great price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

This is very interesting, thanks, will definitely head over there. A bit nearer than Howth for me and like the idea of stocking my freezer with some good fish at a good price win/win:) I will plan my travel/journey time so I can get home fast up the M50, thats great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think this ight be the same bunch who were trying to sell door-to-door in our area from a refrigerated van a few years ago. I was tempted but the salesperson was just way too pushy which means an instant no sale for me however good the product might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

No excuse now for buying fish in Tesco, Superquinn or Dunnes now!

Slam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No excuse now for buying fish in Tesco, Superquinn or Dunnes now!
    Unless you live nowhere near Glasnevin, that is. Anyway, I have a nice friendly Chinese fishmonger here in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 arsenal

Off topic but....

+1 for the chinese guy in the Arcade in Bray too!!!

€4 for a whole seabass or bream is great value! Whole prawns and mackerel dirt cheap too!!

Hope he's doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tasteofthesea

hi there all
    I happened to stumble upon this thread and I`m glad I did as I like to dispel any rumours as to tasteofthesea operating from the back of a van door to door ....we have never approached the market in this manner .
    Our shop in glasnevin beside LIDL is our first and hopefully the first of many . Its completely Irish owned and operated . Our whole agenda is basically bringing freshly frozen fish from our own fishermen to your plate and all the while cutting out middle men and keeping our prices rock bottom .

:):):):) hope to see you`s soon .... BILL

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Welcome to the boards Bill.

Please take some time to read the T&C's that were emailed to you when you registered to avoid any confusion.

Happy posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭thecookingapple

asian market behind georges street aslo have a fantasic selection of fresh and frozen fish, will check out taste of the sea also.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the boards Bill.

Please take some time to read the T&C's that were emailed to you when you registered to avoid any confusion.

Happy posting!

thanks so much for the advice , I`ll give the terms and conditions a look over , apologies
    Bill
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

its a nice concept and well presented in your store but frozen fish is a poor substitute for fresh fish. a lot of fish lose their flavour and texture when frozen. why not do fresh fish also? im sure you would do more business if you did.
    love your king crab btw!

We may someday devote part of our shop to fresh fish but for the moment we are committed to bringing you this concept as it has really taken off in other countries where fish is more widely eaten :):)..... finally got around to trying the king crab myself ,totally worth it !!
    This concept of selling fish originated in Italy and has spread to many other countries where fish plays a major part in the diet and all because of the I.Q.F. method of freezing . This (individual quick freezing) method is the same thats used on veg farms where they freeze the veg in less than an hour after its picked , locking in nutrients . Its different in that it doesnt draw the moisture out of the product rather it locks it in giving you fish as fresh as the moment it was caught as most of the boats are equipped with the freezing equipment enabling then to fillet and freeze in the quickest time possible . ......

So ,fr:cool:zen fish for now but perhaps in the future we will work
    on the fresh end of things to satisfy this need . :):):):)
    all the best
    Bill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm looking forward to visiting your shop, Bill :)

And we all seem to have a somewhat misguided attitude to fish that has been frozen first - as not being fresh. Surely the freshest fish we think we eat is raw sushi, which by law is required to be frozen first to kill potential parasites. And I only found out last week that one of my favourite snacks, Dutch raw herring, is also required by law to be frozen for at least 24 hours before thawing and selling

Herring_shack.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This place is absolutely fantastic! Popped in tonight and we are going to be dining on scallops, prawns, tuna & a fresh-frozen haddock mornay. (a bit of a hodge podge combination but we were like kids in a sweet shop and couldn't pick what we wanted, so we bought it all). Really reasonably priced and they have a great €20 deal with about 5 different fish on it that I will be going back to pick up on Tuesday as it will feed us for a week.

They also have a great selection of fish-y cooking extras, seasonings, olive oil, maldron salt, litre bottles of lemon juice, different tinned & jarred fish & shellfish etc. All in all just fab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Went in myself on Wednesday and picked up a Shark Steak for 96c! Amazing value. Shark is awesome on a BBQ.

Also got something called Redfish, never heard of it before, but I'm having it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I've been hesitant to call in and pick up some fish as I always buy fresh.

Truthfully, I have never brought frozen fish. I accept however that there must be loads of fish on offer that can only be gotten frozen due to being exotic.

So my question is to fresh fish lovers, have they bought the frozen fish and is it worth the money?taste good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Des wrote: »
    Also got something called Redfish, never heard of it before, but I'm having it tonight.

Might it be the same as red snapper? In that case you're in luck - they taste great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Swampy wrote: »
    I've been hesitant to call in and pick up some fish as I always buy fresh.

Truthfully, I have never brought frozen fish. I accept however that there must be loads of fish on offer that can only be gotten frozen due to being exotic.

So my question is to fresh fish lovers, have they bought the frozen fish and is it worth the money?taste good?

im a big fish fan and eat it a lot. some fish freeze really well, retains most of its flavour and texture etc, like sea bass, lobster and crab.
    some fish doesnt freeze well at all and loses its flavour and texture like plaice, turbot, prawn.
    it depends on the fish family in my experience.
    i tend to avoid frozen fish, as it can disappoint and stick to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ja50n

Went up to buy some fish last week & the shop is closed. Any word on it reopening or advice on any similar shops? Big fan of the frozen salmon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement