Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leds and dimmers

Options
  • 29-09-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

is there anything dimmable in gu-10 led

i'm paying about 7euro for standard gu-10 led at the moment

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »

thanks

Theres warm white dimmable LED GU10 down in Rathnew Wicklow,but tthe electrical wholesalers down there are looking for 20 euro including vat for 1.:eek:

can I ask where you are getting the leds for 7 euro,as Im looking around for some for kitchen and bathroom area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

cef

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Philips do dimmable led iirc, not cheap though. Think eurosales stock them

Davy wrote: »
    Philips do dimmable led iirc, not cheap though. Think eurosales stock them

Those Philips are seriously expensive though.:eek:

Was looking at them in T O'Rielys wholesalers earlier on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

philips are about 35 euro a pop,not really tailored for the domestic market yet,they are more suited for large companys,hospitals etc!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I have many many gu10s, and I wanna get shot of 'em for leds.

But most of my lighting is on dimmers, and I'd be a long time making back the bones of a grand on a mass replace of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

we just got in some dimmable 8 watt gu-10 lamps made by a company called cree,distributed by aurora,
    i powered one up and there is a good spread and a nice warm incandesant colour to them.not sure on the price but they look pretty cool, not like any other gu10 ive seen. i powered it up beside a robus 9 watt led non dimmable and it gave better light spread where as the robus was more like a spot.

we just got in some dimmable 8 watt gu-10 lamps made by a company called cree,distributed by aurora,
    i powered one up and there is a good spread and a nice warm incandesant colour to them.not sure on the price but they look pretty cool, not like any other gu10 ive seen. i powered it up beside a robus 9 watt led non dimmable and it gave better light spread where as the robus was more like a spot.

Can I ask where you got them and any idea on price?

Also are they warm white too and are they reliable so far?

Thanks.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got them and any idea on price?

Also are they warm white too and are they reliable so far?

Thanks.:)

we get them from aurora who are distributing them for cree. they are very close in colour to a regular gu-10 and ive a habit of setting up about 4 differant lamps at once to compare them side by side and there one of the best ive seen, along with robus and lumilux.
    we just got them in so not sure on their reliabillity but aurora will gaurentee the for 35000 hours or three years. waiting on the rep to give me a price and any aurora stockest should have them in shortly.
    if anyone is buying led ied urge them to ask their wholesaler for about 4 samples and try them where they will be used, and if a wholesaler wont do this or set up a few for you in the shop go somewhere else.
    ps....dont go in 5 mins to closing or you will just p**s them off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cakedeco

Cree are the people who make chips for led manufacturers, in the same way as Intel make chips for computer manufacturers. Aurora do not supply LEDs for Cree
    You wont get a decent LED for less than €20. You might get an LED for less than this but it will blow or dim within a short time.
    The whole reason for buying an LED is that they are more reliable and last far longer than previous technologies, as well as using less energy. So there is no point in buying cheap LEDs - it is a false economy.
    Dimmable GU10 LEDs are also extremely hard to come by. I've never seen one that works on all dimmer systems and Ive worked in the industry for quite a while

• Advertisement

cakedeco wrote: »
    Cree are the people who make chips for led manufacturers, in the same way as Intel make chips for computer manufacturers. Aurora do not supply LEDs for Cree
    You wont get a decent LED for less than €20. You might get an LED for less than this but it will blow or dim within a short time.
    The whole reason for buying an LED is that they are more reliable and last far longer than previous technologies, as well as using less energy. So there is no point in buying cheap LEDs - it is a false economy.
    Dimmable GU10 LEDs are also extremely hard to come by. I've never seen one that works on all dimmer systems and Ive worked in the industry for quite a while

i did not say aurora are supplying cree.
    the box the lamp comes in says ''cree led as distributed by aurora'' or something to that effect so i would assume that cree are supplying the componants for aurora's lamps.
    this is a link to the lamp im talking about.
    http://www.aurora.eu.com/ProductPages/LampProductDetails.aspx?g=7274&c=724&b=103&oc=725

there is a lot of junk out there and it seems every manufacturer is jumping on the bandwagon with their led version of what they think will sell the most, ie 12v mr16 and gu10. everyday we get emails and ppl calling into us with the ''latest in led tecnology'' but the well known exspensive brands still seem to be the best buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

M cebee wrote: »

thanks

Hi, Mcebee,

Could you PM me details of where you get the €7 standard gu-10 leds?

Thanks

Advertisement