Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuseboard spec for a garage??

Options
  • 29-09-2010 6:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,can any of you electricial gurus please help me out here.

I would like 3 double sockets,2 ceiling lights and an electric roller garage door in my garage.The garage door motor is single phase and 240 volts according to the garage door company.
    I also want to have an RCB/RCD? aswell so that if the power trips out in the garage,then it doesnt trip out the house.

So can anyone please tell me what spec of fuse board I would need for my garage in order to ruin the sockets,lights and the electric garage door.

Thanks.:)

P.S-I was told that 40 meters of 3 core 10 square SWA would also be enough to handle the above with ease.Is this the case??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

how many garages are you building??:pac: i swear i've seen this question 10 times

40mts 10sq is prob fine -at a guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »
    how many garages are you building??:pac: i swear i've seen this question 10 times

40mts 10sq is prob fine -at a guess

Just 1 garage,but I want to get it right 1st time.:)

Im also shoppping around the different wholesalers to see what prices they will each give me too.Each seem to have different ideas of what I need,which is confusing me,so hense me asking here what is needed for the spec in my original post.

5 euro 40 cents per meter of 3 core 10 square SWA so far.

they prob don't know-that's why they're giving you different advice

8 or 12 way board in garage -with rcd protection in garage as you say

they prob don't know-that's why they're giving you different advice

8 or 12 way board in garage -with rcd protection in garage as you say

1 lad in a wholesalers up near Finglas hadnt a clue,and couldnt seem to give me any advice at all.
    Why is he on the counter serving the public in an electrical wholesalers then???

Oh and Thanks for the help.:)

if they were good sparkies they wouldn't be stuck behind a counter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

if they were good sparkies they wouldn't be stuck behind a counter

:D

Spoke to a mate of mine whos an electrician.

This is the spec he reccomends for my garage (3 double sockets,2 light fittings and electric roller garage door).

1 x 12 row IP rated enclosure with 2 neutrel bars and 1 earth bar
    3 x 20 amp MCB,s
    1 x 10 amp MCB
    2 x 63 amp main switch fuses (1 for garage and 1 for main fuse board)
    1 x RCD (63 amp 2 pole)

38 meters of 3 core 10 square SWA cable.

Is this right,or what does anyone think??

P.S-Garage door motor load is single phase 240 volt motor and will be 1.5 amps or 420 watts,according to the garage door company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddy147 wrote: »
    Spoke to a mate of mine whos an electrician.

This is the spec he reccomends for my garage (3 double sockets,2 light fittings and electric roller garage door).

1 x 12 row IP rated enclosure with 2 neutrel bars and 1 earth bar
    3 x 20 amp MCB,s
    1 x 10 amp MCB
    2 x 63 amp main switch fuses (1 for garage and 1 for main fuse board)
    1 x RCD (63 amp 2 pole)

38 meters of 3 core 10 square SWA cable.

Is this right,or what does anyone think??

P.S-Garage door motor load is single phase 240 volt motor and will be 1.5 amps or 420 watts,according to the garage door company.

If the garage door is only 1.5 amps, then you can bin the second 63A main fuse, and just install a socket or fused spur for the garage door, and run it on a 20A MCB

If the garage door is only 1.5 amps, then you can bin the second 63A main fuse, and just install a socket or fused spur for the garage door, and run it on a 20A MCB

Thanks for that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

No real need for 3 (20 amp m.c.b.s). One would be sufficient to cover 3*sockets
    + garage door socket depending on what appliances you plan to use

• Advertisement

i remember helping with the exact same questions previously but anyhow:cool:

if you're providing rcd protection for the door i would rcbo it-isolating switch if socket for door is out of reach

protect the sub-main at the house side and 'isolating switch' for garage on the shed side

are you going doing this yourself

Im not doing this myself,as Im not an electrician.My mate is an electrician and he advised me as to what should be in the fuse board in the garage.

The reason it was said (according to my mate) about the 2 x 63 amp main switch fuses at both ends of the SWA was/is so that incase the SWA is cut or damaged outdoors that it wouldnt blow the main fuse board in the house.

Also I will be getting a portable welder and Karsher Power Washer at some stage for the odd bit of work on anything from metal pipework for a car to just general diy.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Im not doing this myself,as Im not an electrician.My mate is an electrician and he advised me as to what should be in the fuse board in the garage.

The reason it was said (according to my mate) about the 2 x 63 amp main switch fuses at both ends of the SWA was/is so that incase the SWA is cut or damaged outdoors that it wouldnt blow the main fuse board in the house.

Also I will be getting a portable welder and Karsher Power Washer at some stage for the odd bit of work on anything from metal pipework for a car to just general diy.

it also might not be any harm to run out another smaller cable say 5x2.5mm or 5x1.5mm just in case you want to switch lights outside the garage or maybe a phone line/alarm cable also? if you are going to the trouble of burying cables may as well put in enough!

sounds like a load of waffle tbh

Right.got all the stuff listed above today.

Went to 3 different electrical wholesalers/shops,all on the northside of Dublin and all within a 2-3 mile radius of each other

Some people still think that we are still in the Celtic Tiger era,they were still charging that much.:mad:

Anyway I got all my stuff for 45 euro cheaper 3 miles down the road from my "local" electrical wholesalers.

Pays to shop around.;)

I still have to get the SWA cable,but just to give you an idea of price differences.

40 meters of 3 core 10 square SWA was 195 euro in 1 of the shops,but the shop where I got the fuse board and other fittings,was only looking for 165 euro.

30 euro of a saving just by going 3 miles further down the road.

Advertisement