Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valencia v Manchester United Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

VDS had only one save to make all game.

Utd scored a tidy goal, hit the post and berba could have scored earlier on.

Sounds like Utd deserved at least a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He was great during the summer though ;)
    I know but you know during the summer people on boards were bigging them up and I knew as soon as the CL started people would call them clueless, it is either one or the other
    Roll on the nxt Euro Championships/world cup when Dunphy and co will be the pundits that tell it like it is unlike ITV and co
    I just find that really annoying, people claim during the summer it has nothing to do with England bashing but that they tell it like it is and now they are clueless, as you say though we are all talking about them so result for RTE

What exactly are you trying to say ????:D:pac::D

On topic ,Was very happy with Anderson and Rafeal tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

flahavaj wrote: »
    Hi Eamonn.

Evans is a liability and you are blinkered in the highest order if you can't see it. He should be nowhere near that United team. Say what you want about Ferdinand losing pace due to his injuries, but he is leagues ahead. Hell, O'Shea is leagues ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Dunphy is an absolute legendary analyst. Enjoy him while he is still around as he wont be around forever. When he is gone, RTE's CL nights just wont be the same. It is great when he hates a player as he does Nani and Berbatov. To see him bash a player on air is great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

flahavaj wrote: »
    While the Europa League is on more like.;)

:o
    I was making the same joke as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That joke only works if the person you are mocking supports a team in the Europa league.

Warper wrote: »
    Dunphy is an absolute legendary analyst entertainer.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

mars bar wrote: »
    I think the lies he told tonight far out weighted any truths that were hidden in there.

Well yes, he was the same with liverpool, he would always throw an extra dig in there or make up some ****e for a reaction, i thought the truth outweighed the lies IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Kirby wrote: »
    That joke only works if the person you are mocking supports a team in the Europa league.

I didn't mention the europa league, or any team in it. I was referring to the professional trolls on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fell asleep after 60 minutes.What I saw of the match was not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Somebody email this pic to Eamon!!

RonAndNaniRaf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

My mom vote:

1) Vidic

2) Nani

3) Rafael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

MOTM vote:

1. Vidic
    2. Ferdinand
    3. Nani

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

MOTM Vote:

1). Rafael
    2). Vidic
    3). Ferdinand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Jaysis I cant even remember my man of the match vote. I know I threw Hernandez in there for the goal alone at #3. Think it was ;

1 Vidic
    2 Rio
    3 Chico

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Eamon can sometimes be entertaining in his analysis, but tonight there was way too much inaccurate BS...

"Anderson cost 30 million".
    "Berbatov is a disgrace".
    "United bought BEBO"...
    "United are going nowhere... except into the knock out stages..."
    "Nani is a waste of space" - he says this about two minutes after begrudgingly giving him credit for the goal assist.
    "Macheda went on loan to Preston" - was he getting confused with Beckham?

And on and on... he's having a laugh, gone past what can be called entertainment at this stage.

You lost the guile Eamon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Eamo;

"This team aren't going anywhere... except into the knock-out stages of the Champions League"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Poor ol Eamo, not the result he wanted tonight. The face on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh f**k! is that the sight of the shoe being on the other foot? to be fair, utd arent nearly the team they were 2/3 years ago going by their play so far this season. yes, minimal changes in personel (i suppose Ronaldo leaving is still a massive blow though) but there hasnt been anyone good brought in, especially in midfield. hernandez looks great and berba is finally justifying himself (mostly) and if rooney gets back to his best then i think there will be a difference, but i will not be surprised to see them finish 4th this season (unlikely, but a very real possibility on what we have seen so far). they were uninspiring tonight against a valencia side that were poor, they will get through but i dont see them threatening the likes of barca, inter, madrid & chelsea.

and then you read things like:
    Poor ol Eamo, not the result he wanted tonight. The face on him.

and cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Most people haven't been reacting to Dunphy's statement that United are in decline as much as his hilarious factual inacuracies, Jazzy. Also I don't think anyone is taking any of his trolling in any way to heart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Jazzy wrote: »
    oh f**k! is that the sight of the shoe being on the other foot? to be fair, utd arent nearly the team they were 2/3 years ago going by their play so far this season. yes, minimal changes in personel (i suppose Ronaldo leaving is still a massive blow though) but there hasnt been anyone good brought in, especially in midfield. hernandez looks great and berba is finally justifying himself (mostly) and if rooney gets back to his best then i think there will be a difference, but i will not be surprised to see them finish 4th this season (unlikely, but a very real possibility on what we have seen so far). they were uninspiring tonight against a valencia side that were poor, they will get through but i dont see them threatening the likes of barca, inter, madrid & chelsea.

and cringe

United are practically the same team they were 2/3 seasons ago. They always start off slow in the league & are usually painfully boring to watch in away games in Europe in the group stages.

It's all par for the course at the moment.

they were uninspiring tonight against a valencia side that were poor,

Poor? LIES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

and cringe

What a stupid, stupid post.

Here, have your very own cringeworthy "Jazzy's derp of the day award"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Right, great thread, two people popped onto ignore for the shítetalk coming out of them.

Hold up now king, I think both OPENROAD and Jazzy both deserve a piece of that award each.

Enough shíte out of them to fertilise all of mayo.

For United, the perfect away win in Europe. Carrick looked slightly unfit but generally did a decent job, and Anderson was in his element. His best position has been debated at length, but he often seems to turn in good performances in games where United are playing defensively as a whole, and therefore the attacking midfield role (his) is still broadly defensive-minded. Whether United need a player like that in the majority of Premier League games is doubtful, but like Fletcher and Park before him, Anderson might be able to make a name for himself as a ‘big game player’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

and cringe

And I cringe back at your waffle.

Le King wrote: »
    What a stupid, stupid post.

Here, have your very own cringeworthy "Jazzy's derp of the day award"

OH SORRY UTD ARE THE BESTEST TEAM THERE EVER IS AND WILL WIN FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM ASIDE FROM THOSE STOOPID AMERIKUNS

850mil in debt, 2 of your best players leaving in 2~ years, another 1 or 2 getting on (rio and brown) and not much happening transfer wise. again, poor results vs. everton, bolton & fulham, beating a terrible liverpool and a valencia side that were lackluster in front of goal does not say to me that this is the utd of 2 years ago.
    it was a good win tonight, but not one they really should have gotten. vidic, rafa & rio were great tonight but I see nothing beyond fletcher in midfield, anderson is not good enough and carrick is the invisible man against any team that get on him.
    le king, doc0808790789 and that other bloke are the epitome of poorly informed blinkered fans who truly know fuk all about the sport, the clubs and the way it all works. i dared mention the slightest (i dared to say that coming 4th is a possibility and they werent as good as 2 years ago) bit of criticism and they are all over me like a dribbler on a bandwagon. here lads, you have your little victory today, surely thats enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Right, great thread, two people popped onto ignore for the shítetalk coming out of them.

Hold up now king, I think both OPENROAD and Jazzy both deserve a piece of that award each.

Enough shíte out of them to fertilise all of mayo.

:eek::eek: I thought I was making a pretty valid point regarding peoples attitudes to the RTE Pundits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Internet at its best jazzy. I'm off to make some toast now. good win for united

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

OH SORRY UTD ARE THE BESTEST TEAM THERE EVER IS AND WILL WIN FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM ASIDE FROM THOSE STOOPID AMERIKUNS

850mil in debt, 2 of your best players leaving in 2~ years, another 1 or 2 getting on (rio and brown) and not much happening transfer wise. again, poor results vs. everton, bolton & fulham, beating a terrible liverpool and a valencia side that were lackluster in front of goal does not say to me that this is the utd of 2 years ago.
    it was a good win tonight, but not one they really should have gotten. vidic, rafa & rio were great tonight but I see nothing beyond fletcher in midfield, anderson is not good enough and carrick is the invisible man against any team that get on him.
    le king, doc0808790789 and that other bloke are the epitome of poorly informed blinkered fans who truly know fuk all about the sport, the clubs and the way it all works. i dared mention the slightest (i dared to say that coming 4th is a possibility and they werent as good as 2 years ago) bit of criticism and they are all over me like a dribbler on a bandwagon. here lads, you have your little victory today, surely thats enough ;)

We're dooooomed!

To be honest, I don't know how these arguments start - especially after we're just after beating the top side in La Liga in the Champions League.

Maybe after Everton or Fulham I could understand the pessimistic posts (I'll include myself in that).

Call it blinkered, but we're second in the league at the minute playing badly.. that ain't bad. I'll leave all the financial stuff for the thread marked 'Manchester United financial thread'.

Yes I'm the "poorly informed blinkered fan who truly knows fuk all about the sport".

Your post was waffle, you should attack the post not the poster.

I don't really know where to start with you. We are 3 points behind Chelsea, after Chelsea having an easy opening 5 games, we are level top of our Champions League group and we won today while playing shíte. Things aren't that bad. We should of beat Everton and Fulham.

I also like the way you changed your negativity towards United from performances to results.

Serious fail there, you seem to be quite upset over this whole thing.

Best wishes,
    Le King x

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

OH SORRY UTD ARE THE BESTEST TEAM THERE EVER IS AND WILL WIN FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER ;)

Excellent, good to have your full support.

Great result tonight. I'll take a couple more of those scrappy 1-0 wins please. For all the talk of robbing Valencia, i don't really remember VDS having too much trouble, apart from missing that cross in the first half I think the defence was solid and coped pretty well.

Park terrible, the worse player out there by a long way. Nani far too wasteful. Anderson, Rio, Carrick, Raf all had very good showings for the amount of football they played.

MOTM.
    Vidic
    Raf
    Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Tonights performance wasn't what we've come to expect of united but in the end it brought a valuable result.

I felt had we attacked Valencia we would have won quite easily.
    Possibly the weight of past failures in Spain were heavy on Fergies mind when he set the side up the way he did.
    I felt we showed a really average side far too much respect and played a system that was alien to our players which resulted in sloppy passing and a general lack of creativity and class.

With the chances presented to valencia by our dreadful performance in midfield they really should have won by a landslide, that they didn't show's how limited they are.
    The few times we got forward with an real intent we had them rattled.
    At the back we were for the most part fantastic save for a few mistakes by Evra. Rafael gave a very good account of himself and Rio and Vidic were if ot at their best at least a good match for Valencia.

As for the points being made by Dunphy et al about United's "bleak" future, you can only take these things with a pinch of salt as only time will tell.
    I felt Dunphy was overly harsh and tried to paint United in a bad light even going as far as saying Evra was feigning injury when he had been fouled.
    It's true that we need to replace Schole and Giggs, but it wont have been the first time we've been in that position and we may have to accept that it will take time to blood players fully after those legends are gone.

As for United selling off the likes of Rooeny etc, I can't see that happening although it has happened at other clubs it hasn't happened at every club in finacnial difficulty.

It's something you have to live with when you're one of the top clubs, everyone has their daggers drawn waiting for your downfall.

Glazers Out!

the flah is right, i am better then this :(

°°°°°

lordgoat wrote: »
    Excellent, good to have your full support.

Great result tonight. I'll take a couple more of those scrappy 1-0 wins please. For all the talk of robbing Valencia, i don't really remember VDS having too much trouble, apart from missing that cross in the first half I think the defence was solid and coped pretty well.

Park terrible, the worse player out there by a long way. Nani far too wasteful. Anderson, Rio, Carrick, Raf all had very good showings for the amount of football they played.

MOTM.
    Vidic
    Raf
    Carrick

Whatever happened to Park's pace?
    He was never lightening fast but he wasn't notably slow like tonight.
    Nani's inability to cross the fupping ball is really starting to grate on my nerves. I'd love for him to come good and make Eamo and Gilesy eat their words a la Ronaldo, but right now it's hard to see that happening:(

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

adox wrote: »
    My mom vote:

1) Vidic

2) Nani

3) Rafael

What did your dad vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ah Jazzy you're better than this lad.:(

lordgoat wrote: »

MOTM.
    Vidic
    Raf
    Carrick

I actually thought, maybe being blinkered, that Carrick wasn't great. He intercepted well at times but some of the possession he coughed up was very poor - like the shot they had from distance in the first half.

Thought Anderson was very good in terms of retaining possession which is pivotal in these games and if only he could be more in the game instead of drifting in and out at times, then he'd be brilliant.

Nani was wasteful but he covered a hell of a lot of miles and wasn't near as bad as Park. The little Korean looked out of his depth tonight unfortunately.

Vidic was great again at the back. Dominant as always and it wasn't his fault there was a ton of quality balls being flashed across the box, Raf and Evra didn't stop the crosses enough.

I'd take another 20 of these 1-0's in a row no bother, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A lot of utd fans come on the liverpool board and so on, and their opinions are listened to most of the time, but anyone dares question Utd and you lot all gang up on him, i dont utd are as good as they were 3 years ago and i think it will take an amazing effort for them to win anything.

°°°°°

niallo27 wrote: »
    A lot of utd fans come on the liverpool board and so on, and their opinions are listened to most of the time, but anyone dares question Utd and you lot all gang up on him, i dont utd are as good as they were 3 years ago and i think it will take an amazing effort for them to win anything.

Ah well, it could be worse. We could be Liverpool.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Sometimes We're listened to :o

Especially when we say he hate american owners.

you have had an easy run so far in the league and dropped points you shouldnt have dropped.

i didnt change my negativity, it remained the same. it isnt my fault you are not capeable of reading posts correctly.

i didnt say "things are really bad", more my posting was about how easily ppl like you dismiss dunphys opinion simply because you dont like it. you think utd's midfield is as good as chelseas? citeh's? arsenals?
    there is problems in utd atm both off and on the pitch. like last year, you were a very good side at putting lower teams to the sword (newcastle and west ham being of particular note this season) but will struggle against the better teams (52 points last season against the bottom half, 33 against the top half), whereas 2 years ago it almost didnt matter who you played, you were almost always favorites to win.

fuk it actually, im wasting my breath. you see things like "Serious fail there, you seem to be quite upset over this whole thing." and you just know your talking to a glory hunting little kid that needs the victories utd produce for him, plus whatever little victories he can pick up on the internet. wipe the dribble off the mousemat before you go to bed love

Love? WTF.

Come on now, your taking this a bit too personally. To call somebody a glory hunter is idiotic at best, when you know nothing of that person. Didn't you ever learn not to generalise?

I have to laugh all of your post off. "The little kid", "Internet victories" etc. That's really, really petty.

BTW when I started watching football, my first game was losing to Spurs at home 1-0, Liverpool won the league and United finished 13th but we won the FA Cup. Clearly glory hunting there Jazzy. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's the fact anyone is questioning United.. questioning United and using Dunphy as reference however..

We're not as strong as we were a few years, that's for sure. But that's moreso a) players being out of form recently/injured (Hargreaves, Evra, Carrick, Anderson, Rooney - over 70 or 80m worth of talent) and b) not having Ronaldo (but things move on).

If, and it's a big if, Ando, Rooney and Carrick hit form and the likes of Hernandez, Bebe, Obertan, Gibson progress then we're in great shape to challenge on all fronts. Such is the strength of our squad.

nullzero wrote: »
    Ah well, it could be worse. We could be Liverpool.

Yea, it sure puts things in perspective

°°°°°

I don't think it's the fact anyone is questioning United.. questioning United and using Dunphy as reference however..

We're not as strong as we were a few years, that's for sure. But that's moreso a) players being out of form recently/injured (Hargreaves, Evra, Carrick, Anderson, Rooney - over 70 or 80m worth of talent) and b) not having Ronaldo (but things move on).

If, and it's a big if, Ando, Rooney and Carrick hit form and the likes of Hernandez, Bebe, Obertan, Gibson progress then we're in great shape to challenge on all fronts. Such is the strength of our squad.

All very true, but you won't sell many copies of the Star talking sense like that will you?:pac:

Glazers Out!

I wonder while he'e in spain is ferguson planning more talks regarding that Ronaldo deal

°°°°°

I wonder while he'e in spain is ferguson planning more talks regarding that Ronaldo deal

I'm sure he's got a rubber cheque ready to go on that one.
    Part exchange for Nani wouldn't be bad though would it?

Glazers Out!

What ronaldo deal?

All very true, but you won't sell many copies of the Star talking sense like that will you?:pac:

This is very true. Who needs facts when fabrication is more exciting.

I'm sure he's got a rubber cheque ready to go on that one.
    Part exchange for Nani wouldn't be bad though would it?

might pay for his flight over to manchester:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement