Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valencia v Manchester United Match Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I wonder while he'e in spain is ferguson planning more talks regarding that Ronaldo deal

Viva Ronaldo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Le King wrote: »
    Viva Ronaldo!

Fat Ronaldo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What ronaldo deal?

we are buying him back for a packet of skips and a voucher for a thai massage in soho

source: the mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What ronaldo deal?

the made-up one.

after last night, i'd be both worried and heartened by last night's performance, if that makes any sense whatsoever; which it probably doesn't.

granted, i only saw extended highlights, but a lot rests on Rio gaining full fitness again. it cannot be underestimated how important that man's partnership with Vidic could be to trophy-winning.

you willl not win much with a Vidic/Evans CB partnership as your number 1 choice.

it speaks volumes that Vidic and Ferdinand were probably at least two of your 3 best players last night. my feeling is that would have to continue for Utd to win the major trophies this year. if that platform can stay in place, there's more than a good chance.

this is all because that midfield will not control games against better opposition. they didn't last night, and there are better midfields out there than Valencia's, with all due respect to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Jazzy wrote: »
    OH SORRY UTD ARE THE BESTEST TEAM THERE EVER IS AND WILL WIN FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM ASIDE FROM THOSE STOOPID AMERIKUNS

850mil in debt, 2 of your best players leaving in 2~ years, another 1 or 2 getting on (rio and brown) and not much happening transfer wise. again, poor results vs. everton, bolton & fulham, beating a terrible liverpool and a valencia side that were lackluster in front of goal does not say to me that this is the utd of 2 years ago.
    it was a good win tonight, but not one they really should have gotten. vidic, rafa & rio were great tonight but I see nothing beyond fletcher in midfield, anderson is not good enough and carrick is the invisible man against any team that get on him.
    le king, doc0808790789 and that other bloke are the epitome of poorly informed blinkered fans who truly know fuk all about the sport, the clubs and the way it all works. i dared mention the slightest (i dared to say that coming 4th is a possibility and they werent as good as 2 years ago) bit of criticism and they are all over me like a dribbler on a bandwagon. here lads, you have your little victory today, surely thats enough ;)

Coming 4th for Liverpool is a possibility too, but do you dare to dream? :)

MOTM
    1. Anderson - Decent game, good passing at times and looked fairly lively
    2. Rafael - Solid and decent going forward
    3. Chico - For the finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    the made-up one.

after last night, i'd be both worried and heartened by last night's performance, if that makes any sense whatsoever; which it probably doesn't.

granted, i only saw extended highlights, but a lot rests on Rio gaining full fitness again. it cannot be underestimated how important that man's partnership with Vidic could be to trophy-winning.

you willl not win much with a Vidic/Evans CB partnership as your number 1 choice.

it speaks volumes that Vidic and Ferdinand were probably at least two of your 3 best players last night. my feeling is that would have to continue for Utd to win the major trophies this year. if that platform can stay in place, there's more than a good chance.

this is all because that midfield will not control games against better opposition. they didn't last night, and there are better midfields out there than Valencia's, with all due respect to them.

In general terms, our midfield can do a lot better than they did last night. Carrick was below his standard (though has been for a long while). Anderson, while promising last night, is still looking to regain form and fitness. Fletcher ain't at his best at the moment either imo. Park is another that has shown he can do a lot better, he was terrible last night.

Adding to that I reckon Giggs would have done a lot better than Park and Scholes was a big miss, I think our midfield has it in it to perform a lot better and stand up better to the best sides.

The biggest negative from last night was Park imo - i thought he was terrible and given that it will likely be either him or Giggs on the LW for the majority of the season we need Park to be playing a lot better than he is.

I thought the defense was generally very good, but looked weaker than it should have due to a very poor performance by Evra, which compromised our defense imo.

Very happy to come away from that game with 3 points, didn't think we would going in to the game, but this team still has a long way to go in terms of playing to potential. If we can get it together we have a chance at winning stuff, but there is still a long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love Jazzy :)

Valencia is a tough place to go and I'm happy with all 3 points. Valencia didn't take their chances, while United did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cheers Mitch, requested permission for access there

VW 1 wrote: »
    Cheers Mitch, requested permission for access there

Sorry, wrong link....

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mitch, both links aint working for me.

my vote -

vidic
    berba
    carrick.

very difficult to pick, again. great to have rio back, he is key to us and his importance can never be underestimated.

Mitch, both links aint working for me.

my vote -

vidic
    berba
    carrick.

very difficult to pick, again. great to have rio back, he is key to us and his importance can never be underestimated.

First one won't work, it is a link to the spreadsheet which only i have permissions to.

Second link should be fine though - are you getting an error message or anything for it? Just checked it myself and it appears for me, accepting responses is ticked and there was a vote placed 10mins ago by Spud, so it should be fine.

Just in case I have twice pasted the wrong link.... here it is again.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i went...

1. Vidic
    2. Rio
    3. Hernandez.

bear in mind, i only saw the extended highlights, so i didn't see the full picture of the game; but this is the impression i got.

i gave the 3rd MOTM to Hernandez, purely because the finish was so instinctive and impressive; and a winning goal of that quality in a tight game deserves decent recognition IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I didn't watch the match last night, having a fancy dinner. Going by the reactions did we lose?

Stat-man says it's Fergie 2nd win out of 19 in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RasTa wrote: »
    I didn't watch the match last night, having a fancy dinner. Going by the reactions did we lose?

Stat-man says it's Fergie 2nd win out of 19 in Spain.

ya, i think too many people were watching too much dunphy last night. im delighted with the result, the game is over and its time to look on to the next game.

by the way, are you sure we have played that many games in spain under fergie? maybe its 19 games in spain in our european history? hmm, lets see

i cant only think of -

barcelona X 3 (0-4, 3-3, 0-0)
    deportivo X 2(2-0, 1-2)
    Real Madrid X 2(1-3, 0-0)
    Villareal X 2 (0-0, 0-0)
    valencia X 2 (0-0, 1-0)

thats 11. i think we played athletico around 91 or that time making it 12. am i missing another 7 games during fergies reign? remember we were banned from europe from 86 to 90 and i cant recall having too many games v spanish opposition in the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

It 19 games all-time, heres the teams.

Athletic Bilbao 1 (1L)
    Atletico Madrid 1 (1L)
    Barcelona 4 (2D 2L)
    Deportivo 3 (1W 2L)
    Real Madrid 4 (2D 2L)
    Valencia 4 (1W 2D 1L)
    Villarreal 2 (2D)

Overall Record (2W 8D 9L)

• Advertisement

Still time to vote on the MotM for this game. Would really like some more (sensible) non-united posters to vote. only got two so far which makes the non-united kinda pointless at the moment!

If you are voting, please be sensible, it takes some time to sort all this out and work out the calculations - so don't be a dick about it; had to delete two votes this morning for the voters being dicks about it. Very annoying.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&pli=1&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

Advertisement