Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sexual/physical assault charge against a Garda in Galway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

it was dropped on a legal technicality, eyewitnesses testified in court that he assaulted her. One of the witnesses was his own girlfriend so he did assault her but got lucky on a procedural error as this was the first case taken by the Garda Ombudsman.

Would you trust this guard seeing as he wasn't convicted?

Well at the end of the day we all have to accept the decisions of the court he walked away from court an innocent man having been found not guilty.

I'm not saying this man should have got away with it (im not familiar with this case) but my point is if ya want to call gardai scum ya might refer to a case where a guard was found guilty and there are a few out there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Sounds like a young trainee guard on the piss in Galway acting like a student maggot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

talla10 wrote: »
    Well at the end of the day we all have to accept the decisions of the court he walked away from court an innocent man having been found not guilty.

I'm not saying this man should have got away with it (im not familiar with this case) but my point is if ya want to call gardai scum ya might refer to a case where a guard was found guilty and there are a few out there

So according to you even though he assaulted a woman he's not scum because he wasn't convicted.

Thats about as backward thinking as the church telling me I need a piece of paper to prove that I love my girlfriend. The court doesn't make my mind up for me, this guy is a scumbag.

Here's some more examples, hope this makes you happy

Three gardai fired from the force in just one month

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

In terms of maturity the Gardai are a very new force & have to learn the lessons that other forces learnt years ago. I was in the UK during the Police corruption scandals & wrongful convictions.

The government there was strong enough to act & every UK cop fears being reported or enquired into. It has increased the confidence of the public. The Gardai Ombudsman needs to have the same teeth as the Police Complaints Commission & use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    The Dublin RCS Press Release 2009 stated that 68 cases were dropped for various reasons & that 9 of these were because of false or malicious allegations. The RCS give the impression that false reporting is virtually non existent when these figures show it at 13%.

Ahh, no.

It's saying that 13% of the cases that were dropped were dropped because investigation (carried out by the gardai, I'd imagine) showed that the allegations were malicious or false.

It's saying nothing about the proportion of ALL allegations that were false.

(And no, I haven't read the whole report.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am having Father Ted/Dougal moment !. I thought that I quoted the report. I agree that I am referring to 13% of the dropped cases & not of the total. But together with the acquittals it still becomes an amount that is bigger than the level of being described as a myth.

If one hinted on a RC website that some allegations are false one would scare off some women from reporting. I am not blaming them for possibly not totally presenting the facts.

My concern is that accurate facts are needed so that everyone involved is informed & I can't see how a the IRCC can present these. There should be an independent body to collate & release this information.

Advertisement