Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Ovulation test accuracy

Options
  • 29-09-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi
    We have been ttc for 6 months now, got pregnant first cycle but then had miscarriage at 10 weeks, waited 2 months and now trying again with no success, this month i bought the clearblue digital ovulation kit, smiley face one, I am now on day 9 of 24 day cycle and have done test the last 3 mornings - as it says to test in the morning - but no success. Is the test as accurate using morning urine ? should i use it in the afternoon ? does anyone have any experience of this product and its accuracy ?
    I would have expected a smiley face today on a 24 day cycle, I have ewcm and cervix high and open, so i think i am ovulating now, so bd last night and tonight again once hubby gets home - please advise... maybe we'll get a smiley tomorrow or is it that the test is not as accurate with morning urine ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Hi Aquarius, unlike pregnancy tests it is not recommended that you test with your first urine, they say the best time to test is between 12 and 5 pm and to hold your urine for at least 4 hours before you test. I have been using the clearblue digital this cycle and got my first smiley face on saturday, i was testing for 11 days before i got my smiley face. Its now 4 days since the smiley face so i am hoping that this will be our month!!
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Thanks for the reply, I have read that the LH surge is better detected later in the day, but the clearblue digital kit says you can do it anytime even in the morning, so following the directions on the pack it should work,what I am wondering is has anyone got a smiley face using morning urine or am i just wasting my money and time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

definitely don't test in the morn. LH synthesises in your body at night time and hasn't yet passed into your urine for excretion by morning time - that takes a few hours. I'd say some ladies might get a positive but best to do it with second morning urine (around 11am-ish) and any time thereafter up to 9pm, to be sure you don't miss the surge. given your other primary fertility signs I'd say keep having sex even with the neg OPKs, you are most likely ovulating, or at the very least are in the 'fertile window'.

I sometimes test with the digi's and note that they can be too sensitive sometimes, i.e. I once got smiley's 4 days in a row...... the LH surge doesn't last that long...

to save money I use the cheapie non digi brands (can be bought on eBay) and once I get waht I think is a positive I back it up with a digi, that way I only use one digi a month, p.s. I get the digi's on eBay as well, no way would I fork out the exorbitant prices in local chemists.

good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I have been using just the normal non digital sticks and I should be ovulating now judging by my cycle lenght and I am getting some signs that I am but the sticks keep telling me I am not........can they be wrong sometimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    I have been using just the normal non digital sticks and I should be ovulating now judging by my cycle lenght and I am getting some signs that I am but the sticks keep telling me I am not........can they be wrong sometimes?

yes they can be wrong - there's no such thing as a false positive, but definitely a false negative. Rely on your primary signs (mucous, temping), OPKs are for back-up only. In past cycles I have confirmed ovulation (with temps) but the O sticks never got quite as dark as the box said they should.
    Also remember other factors that can comprise the kit e.g. urine too diluted, testing at the wrong time, sensitivity of the test (maybe your LH doesn't surge enough to register a positive on that specific brand of test - but that doesn't mean you're not surging).

I have seen people who fully rely on these tests and ignore the other signs and then cycle after cycle they don't get pg. You should try for a baby as if you aren't using OPKs; i.e. sex 2 or 3 times per week, every other day when in the fertile window, and then a few days in a row when your mucous / temps / ovulation pain indicate that you might be on the cusp of ovulating, again, only use the tests as a back up. And don't let the negatives get you down, lots of people avoid using OPKs altogether because the results can be so ambiguous and thus very off putting.

GL ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Thanks, I'll keep trying then!.........(now where's my boyfriend!)....

Advertisement