Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writ to have bye-election defeated

Options
  • 29-09-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

A motion to have all 3 bye-elections that are outstanding was defeated in the Dáil tonight. This includes the seat vacated in Donegal SW by Pat "The Cope" Gallagher.

It looks like it will be up to the high court on 18 October to decide if and when Donegal has this election. The high court will be hearing the case brought by Pearse Doherty SF on 18 October. This is disgraceful IMO.

The government has said it may have the election sometime Q1 2011 :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

a bunch of liars - they'd have an excuse then awaiting - they actually intended using our money to deny us democracy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

That is an absolute disgrace - the TD's who voted against this should be named and shamed.
    All any TD cares about is power - they couldn't care less about the regular joe or any rights he has.

They shouldn't have the power to put By elections off.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

A motion to have all 3 bye-elections that are outstanding was defeated in the Dáil tonight. This includes the seat vacated in Donegal SW by Pat "The Cope" Gallagher.

It looks like it will be up to the high court on 18 October to decide if and when Donegal has this election. The high court will be hearing the case brought by Pearse Doherty SF on 18 October. This is disgraceful IMO.

they may as well take what they can get now for they are out the door next time fecking highway men the lot of them ,sorry highway men have some morals.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I doubt they will need to. I would think there will be a general election well before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

A small group of politicians have decided that thouands of people will be left without representatives just so they can keep there greasy fingers clinging to power. Jesus.

What was the winning margin? God i hate the "independants" that are really FF in disguise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

baldbear wrote: »
    A small group of politicians have decided that thouands of people will be left without representatives just so they can keep there greasy fingers clinging to power. Jesus.

What was the winning margin? God i hate the "independants" that are really FF in disguise.
    The Government has defeated a Fine Gael attempt to move the writ for the three outstanding by-elections by 81 votes to 77.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0929/politics.html

It should be noted that Blaney and McDaid voted with the government on this. Coughlan is out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I cant see why SF are pushing to have these by elections now...

It will cost a lot of money to run these bye elections and will be a waste of time because there will be general election in the early part of 2011..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

LoanShark wrote: »
    I cant see why SF are pushing to have these by elections now...

It will cost a lot of money to run these bye elections and will be a waste of time because there will be general election in the early part of 2011..

so you think the gov has a right not a hold an election when there is a vacant seat until the next GE

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

so you think the gov has a right not a hold an election when there is a vacant seat until the next GE

Ok I see your point...But I think that they should have been making more of a fuss last year when the seat was vacated...I just think there is going to be a lot of money wasted in this legal battle and also the canvassing postering etc..I believe that we'll have to do it all again early next year..and also the candidate having to go out for the byelection and then going out again next year.

• Advertisement

LoanShark wrote: »
    Ok I see your point...But I think that they should have been making more of a fuss last year when the seat was vacated...I just think there is going to be a lot of money wasted in this legal battle and also the canvassing postering etc..I believe that we'll have to do it all again early next year..and also the candidate having to go out for the byelection and then going out again next year.

Agreed, the money being wasted though is by the government. How can the government even begin to justify spending taxpayers money to defend their decision not to hold these elections and effectively deny representation to the electorate?

FF are made to look the fool for this and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

this made me chuckle, its every body elses fault for wanting a byelection (oceanfm news)
    Chief whip defends Government failure to call by-election
    The Government has defended its failure to call the Donegal South West by-election.

Chief whip John Curran has hit out at Senator Pearse Doherty for bringing a legal action to force the holding of the contest.

While he also said the Government would defend its decision.

A fine Gael vote to call all three out standing by-elections was defeated in the Dail last night.

While the House was told that they would be held early next year.

Deputy Curran said it was Sinn Fein and not the Government that wanted to drag the issue through the courts.

anyway mid may is the election as they said the writ would be raised by end march, and the election is upto 6 weeks after that

and i do beleive they should have kicked up a fuss last year about this (but i'm guessing a high court chanllenge could easily be defeated with it hasnt been that long and they have a better chance now)

Advertisement