Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modded Megadrive 1 with 2 switches still B and W

Options
  • 29-09-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey fellow modders I need your help.

I modded my two megadrives with the 50/60z switch and region switch. I followed mmm monkey guide and soldered all the wires correctly,I hope.

The problem is that the picture output on my TV is black and white and jumps everynow and again when I switch it over to 60z. I purchased a scart RGB cable and it arrived today which I taught would fix the problem but it hasnt. The 50z picture is fine by the way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? This is wrecking my head? Did I make the same mistake twice?
    Thanks,
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is your tv capable of displaying a 60hz signal? I doubt there's anything wrong with the mod, as without a scart that's exactly how mine behaves (b&w, and picture jumps). Are there any settings you can change on the tv for the input signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

knowing almost nothing about this mod probably doesnt qualify me to answer this question, but it does sound like a TV that cant handle a 60Hz source

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Hey lads thanks for the suggestions, I will try it on a different TV tonight, but I doubt it as I bought a fairly decent spec LCD tv only last year.

Worth a try though

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hey lads thanks for the suggestions, I will try it on a different TV tonight, but I doubt it as I bought a fairly decent spec LCD tv only last year.

Worth a try though

I'd say it's compatible so, but like my own you still have to turn off auto-detect and set the input signal to NTSC. If I leave mine on auto-detect, it still doesn't display properly, but as soon as I set the signal to NTSC it displays perfectly (well as good as a modern tv can when displaying retro consoles).

Let us know how you get on.

Just checked there I have the LG 32LH30

It says its compatible, I will try that auto dectect setting tonight, thanks.

I will let you know how I get on. This is wrecking my head....

• Advertisement

Hello All,

I have some good news and some bad news. First the good, my soldering skills are up to scratch and cable is working. I tried it on my 6 year old CRT TV and full screen and speed.

Now the bad, it wont bloody work in my games room on my newish LCD TV, it still displays B/W. Accoring to the TV on the AV Channel, it is displaying 16:9, 60Hz and 480i.

Can anyone tell me why it would still not display the picture in colour?

Hello All,

I have some good news and some bad news. First the good, my soldering skills are up to scratch and cable is working. I tried it on my 6 year old CRT TV and full screen and speed.

Now the bad, it wont bloody work in my games room on my newish LCD TV, it still displays B/W. Accoring to the TV on the AV Channel, it is displaying 16:9, 60Hz and 480i.

Can anyone tell me why it would still not display the picture in colour?

Did you have a good poke around the tv's settings for the input selection method?

I am trying a present, my TV is actually the 32LH3000. I bought this model as it got decent reviews on testfreaks and avforums.

I cant seem to find any settings.

What a bummer, there goes Sonic at full screen:(

I am trying a present, my TV is actually the 32LH3000. I bought this model as it got decent reviews on testfreaks and avforums.

I cant seem to find any settings.

What a bummer, there goes Sonic at full screen:(

I'd be very surprised if the TV can't do it, though they are good at hiding things in menus sometimes :D Being completely honest, it will look like arse on your widescreen LCD anyway...lug that CRT into your games room to get the best out of the MD. Retro consoles just don't match with 16:9's unfortunately. It stretches & filters the image too much.

Thanks man, I downloaded the manual and couldnt find a fecking thing. I agree, CRT is the way to go. But in fairness, I have my C64 connected to my LCD and I have no problems, if that can do it, surely the megadrive can:p

• Advertisement

Thanks man, I downloaded the manual and couldnt find a fecking thing. I agree, CRT is the way to go. But in fairness, I have my C64 connected to my LCD and I have no problems, if that can do it, surely the megadrive can:p

Thats very odd I must say - have you seen any options for colour system? a C64 on a 16:9 LCD, brave man - keep away from the Retro forum, you'll be lynched :D

Only option is set different modes, as in cinema, sport, the usual crap. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Dont tell the bhoys over, they will never let that down:D

I love mixing it up with old school tech and new school tech:)

Hi Enternow, fixed the problem. Something silly I missed. Only scart 1 on my TV supports full RGB, its labelled in tiny writing on the back of the TV. In my defence, it is not mentioned once in the bloody TV manual.

Now I can play my Sonic is all its pixelated glory on my 32 incer TV:D

Now I can play my Sonic is all its pixelated glory on my 32 incer TV:D

You got it in one man :pac: Enjoy!

Advertisement