Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap broadband.

• 29-09-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I am looking for a cheap broadband package, just broadband no telephone etc. I tried UPC and they wont do that in my area(Kilkenny city). I would like average speeds i.e. 5mbps:confused: Are they any for around the €30 mark including everything. I looked at 02 and they have broadband at 7.2mbps for €19.99 but a usage limit of 15GB, is 15GB usage the stuff you download, films etc or the actual time your on the web and does that be the same from the likes of eircom? Is that wireless broadband any good even?

My father has eircom 5mbps for €50 and is just too expensive but it is good. Are they any cheap and fast broadband packages around €30 - 40 all in. No line rental etc.
    please help I didn't know getting broadband cheap and fast in a recession could be so hard!
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Plug wrote: »
    is 15GB usage the stuff you download, films etc or the actual time your on the web and does that be the same from the likes of eircom?

It's everything, and it's the same for all operators. Anything you see in your browser, or hear that came from the Internet, is downloaded.
    Is that wireless broadband any good even?

It's not even broadband, don't consider it unless you run out of options.
    Are they any cheap and fast broadband packages around €30 - 40 all in. No line rental etc.

Digiweb Metro, Imagine Breeze (or BreezeMax, not WiMax) are two proper wireless broadband products that need no line and have no line rental. There may be others in your area.
    please help I didn't know getting broadband cheap and fast in a recession could be so hard!

Recession or not, the majority of people in Ireland can't get cheap, fast broadband either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

3Mbps is the Average Irish Speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

cheers lads i'll give imagine a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »

Recession or not, the majority of people in Ireland can't get cheap, fast broadband either.

And even still in 2010 an awful lot of people cannot get real broadband or are stuck on that NBS crap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

i have vodafone bb for 38euro a month 5mb line sapose to be geting 8.mb

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/?ts=1285871359298

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    It's everything, and it's the same for all operators. Anything you see in your browser, or hear that came from the Internet, is downloaded.

It's not even broadband, don't consider it unless you run out of options.

Digiweb Metro, Imagine Breeze (or BreezeMax, not WiMax) are two proper wireless broadband products that need no line and have no line rental. There may be others in your area.

What is meant by an 'active phone line'? does that mean i have to be hooked up to eircom paying them line rental or something? I have an eircom telephone line in my house but im not using eircom. cheers

EDIT anymore? I have to pay them 25 quid line rental(digiweb metro):( god this is looking bad, i suppose 02 and vodafone are crap. I read reviews wimax is an absolute joke.

the 38 euro i pay includes line rental and is by far the cheaper option in my area any way.
    iv never had any problems with it only that i could do with a lot more of a download cap.i have 40 gig a month and iam at 37gb as of this eveing thank god it resets the start of every month.

naughto wrote: »
    the 38 euro i pay includes line rental and is by far the cheaper option in my area any way.
    iv never had any problems with it only that i could do with a lot more of a download cap.i have 40 gig a month and iam at 37gb as of this eveing thank god it resets the start of every month.
    cheers for that ill give them a call tomorrow. would you be on the web a lot, is 40gb alright? Anymore cheap/fast dsl deals around, your one sounds fairly good!

40 gb is loads for what you are looking for i download a lot of ahem movies,music ,tv shows that kind of thing so it eats in to my allowance.

the link below is of the exchanges throught out ireland the closer you are to the exchange the better speeds u get

http://handelaar.org/maps/exchanges2.php?radius=4.5

EDIT anymore? I have to pay them 25 quid line rental(digiweb metro):( god this is looking bad,

There is no line rental with Metro, because there is no line. You only pay line rental with a phone line. It doesn't have to be with eircom.

• Advertisement

Could you give me a link for metro. cheers

It's on the Digiweb site. It may not be available to you though.

Advertisement