Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD SCIENCE!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Here see if I fail 1 module, computer programming 1 (I f**king HATE it) , should I say bye-bye to my dreams of getting into neuroscience in second year? I've heard it's really competitive, the top 15-20 are taken in. Will my GPA fall a great deal if I fail/do badly in this one module?

There's no way you'll actually fail it..
    How have you been doing on assignments? Those are worth 40% of the total grade and are easy enough to get As in, seeing as how you can just google, etc.
    There's also a support centre for computer science modules similar to the maths support centre that you can go to.
    Just read ahead in the book, go over stuff you don't get 100% and/or look up cplusplus.com, you'll be fine, you won't fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

I have heard that there's a booklet available that outlines the various module choices for First Year Science (2012/2013). Seems it explains which modules you must do to qualify for the different subjects in second year etc. Does anyone know where you can get this booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

majo wrote: »
    I have heard that there's a booklet available that outlines the various module choices for First Year Science (2012/2013). Seems it explains which modules you must do to qualify for the different subjects in second year etc. Does anyone know where you can get this booklet?

I think you can get one in the science program office!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

For all looking for the booklet, here it is -

http://www.ucd.ie/science/current_students/downloads/2011-2012/UCD_Science_Student_%20Handbook_Stage_1.pdf

I'm assuming this is the one ye are looking for. It's relevant for present 1st years, looking for streams for their 2nd year next year. Module requirements are page 14.

• Advertisement

That's great. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Hey all, I'm currently considering science at UCD, could anyone here please tell me what the molecular biology course is like? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nq12

Hi, DN200 non-denominated is my first choice on the CAO. Couple of things...
    I only do chemistry for leaving cert, will I be okay with the other subjects in the first year?
    I'm planning on doing zoology in my 2nd year (provided i get in), but i realise this might change so im not specifying straight away. Anyway, what is the zoology course like? Is there much hands on work with animals or is it mainly theory based? Are there good career opportunities for someone with a ucd zoology degree?

These aren't really science so ignore if you want :)
    what is on campus accommodation like? and are the points for the science course likely to increase a LOT?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hey all, I'm currently considering science at UCD, could anyone here please tell me what the molecular biology course is like? Cheers

You dont do a whole lot of molecular biology untill second year but once you do its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Nq12 wrote: »
    Hi, DN200 non-denominated is my first choice on the CAO. Couple of things...
    I only do chemistry for leaving cert, will I be okay with the other subjects in the first year?
    I'm planning on doing zoology in my 2nd year (provided i get in), but i realise this might change so im not specifying straight away. Anyway, what is the zoology course like? Is there much hands on work with animals or is it mainly theory based? Are there good career opportunities for someone with a ucd zoology degree?

These aren't really science so ignore if you want :)
    what is on campus accommodation like? and are the points for the science course likely to increase a LOT?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Only info I can give here is that the points probably will jump a bit because of the new 25 extra points for hons maths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Should be fine as long as you go to the lectures and do the reading assigned.
    Anyway, what is the zoology course like?

The course is great, really good lecturers. They are restructuring it at the moment.
    Is there much hands on work with animals or is it mainly theory based?

Depends on what you mean by hands on. You do a fair bit of dissection and other labs and there are field trips in third and fourth year which are very hands on. And there is the fourth year thesis which will be very hands on. There is a lot of theory about the environment, evolution, invertebrates, vertebrates, anatomy, physiology, freshwater biology, animal behaviour by forth year everything is linked.
    Are there good career opportunities for someone with a ucd zoology degree?

Jobs are a bit thin on the ground at the moment but: National Parks and Wildlife, National Museum or conservation bodies like the EIA to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Hi, I'm in leaving cert and have DN200 down as number 1 on my CAO, I'm just wondering if I chose No Preference is the workload the same for BBB OR CCS
    Im undecided on which one i want to do. I love biology and chemistry in leaving cert and can't wait to study them, hopefully in UCD. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in leaving cert and have DN200 down as number 1 on my CAO, I'm just wondering if I chose No Preference is the workload the same for BBB OR CCS
    Im undecided on which one i want to do. I love biology and chemistry in leaving cert and can't wait to study them, hopefully in UCD. :)

Just finished four years of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and really loved it. They're restructuring the course but a lot of third and fourth year modules should remain relatively the same; apart from a couple of god awful ones, the vast majority are brilliantly structured and taught. If you want a solid mix of biology and chemistry your two best bets to choose stream-wise are either Biochemistry (and Molecular Biology) or Pharmacology - in short BBB (from SBBS). The chemistry side does have biology but it's very limited, particularly in the type of biology you'd be used to from the Leaving Cert, though I am fairly biased. :D

mc8755 wrote: »
    Just finished four years of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and really loved it. They're restructuring the course but a lot of third and fourth year modules should remain relatively the same; apart from a couple of god awful ones, the vast majority are brilliantly structured and taught. If you want a solid mix of biology and chemistry your two best bets to choose stream-wise are either Biochemistry (and Molecular Biology) or Pharmacology - in short BBB (from SBBS). The chemistry side does have biology but it's very limited, particularly in the type of biology you'd be used to from the Leaving Cert, though I am fairly biased. :D

Hey Mc just wondering what modules in biochemistry you hated? NMR is meant to be a b1tch!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hey Mc just wondering what modules in biochemistry you hated? NMR is meant to be a b1tch!

The worst module for me was probably Research Strategies in 4th year, just because it's a module that's designed to examine tons of stuff you should have learnt before fourth year but isn't necessarily taught in that module, so it was a nightmare to study for, especially the calculations midterm (though I got an A so I'm assuming they're very generous with marking!). NMR is tough alright, are you a second year? You do NMR in Biochemist's Toolkit in semester two of 3rd year and it's fairly okay, but it's really intense for semester one of 4th year with Prof. Malthouse. It'll go completely over your head in lectures and all you can do is write because there's so much to take down so it all comes down to how much work you do after the lectures, NEVER leave NMR until study week or you'll be sick. I found the third year module Proteins and Enzymes fairly insane too; I don't know when we'll ever need 90% of the calculations and derivations you have to learn!

On the other-side, the best modules for me in biochem were probably the 4th year ones "Advanced Cell Signalling" (easier than it sounds!), "Emerging Therapies" (Pharm module but on stem cells and new field stuff, not god-awful drugs and receptors the whole time) & "Enzyme Tech+Protein Engineering" (easiest high grade of final year), and then 3rd year's "Molecular Basis of Disease" (interesting but the exam paper format means you can't leave much out when studying) and "Biochemist's Toolkit" (excluding NMR section).

aoifemcg94 wrote: »

Regardless of what you put on your CAO (either No Pref, BBB, CCS or MPS) you can change once you get there. First year is essentially the same for BBB and CCS; if you meet the requirements for BBB, then you also meet them for CCS. In second year you can choose either BBB subjects, or CCS, or I'm pretty sure, one from BBB and one from CCS. Then just before third year (where I am now) you pick your actual degree subject.

Moving away from all the typical UCD jargon up there, what I'm essentially saying is that you don't actually decide for like 2 years. First year is the same for both areas, and you can still do one or both in second year. No need to even think about all that now. SO STOP PROCRASTINATING AND GO STUDY FOR YOUR LEAVING CERT :D

It's a good bit harder for you poor creatures this year than it was for my year, so best of luck in your exams! Chin up these next few days, it goes by in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ad83

I haven't read this thread in its entirety but am just wondering if anyone out there hates/hated science in ucd. I did first year 10 or so years ago before switching to another course. At the time I always felt like i was the only one in this situation but was talking to a neighbour recently and we were reminiscing about all the things we hated. Was very funny.

When i first arrived some eccentric guy who worked in the chemistry department approached me and offered to take me round and setup all of my classes and tutorials. He was very nice but i never found out what he actually did there. Anyway every room he brought me into i received either an absolute bollocking or passive aggressive rant for arriving unannounced by some absolute pr1cks who obviously knew he had brought me in as he did this all the time trying to be helpful. The rest of the year i could not get over how unfriendly all the staff were in any dealings we had.

I remember there was this14 year old who bullied around a large band of nerds who were completely subserviant to him. I could have watched them all day it ammused me so much.

Anyway what really bothered me other than the staff who spoke to everyone like pieces of 5h1t was how demotivated people were. There was this group of guys who had been there 11 years and were only in 3rd/4th year, were having there parents pay crazy fees for them to repeat and they were legends around the place(all also terrified of the little 14 y/o haha )

Anyway reading back on this thread it sounds like nonsense and i am laughing out loud thinkint back on it but would be interested to know is there anyone else who hates/d the place.

I promise i am not bitter and got on with life haha and only came across this thread randomly and just thought of the place. Would be interested to read. Sorry for the sketchy storytelling. Its quite late.

Haha nice to get a bit of an insight as to what was going on a few years back! I'm (for the most part) enjoying science so far! I'm going into third year, we were the first year of the new completely undenominated system, so there are a lot of cracks to be filled in with new modules and new systems. The staff are for the vast majority really sound, one or two are a bit up themselves with little reason to be. There's a few ones that are a nightmare to get in contact with too! But as I said, they're generally great. Have to give Peter Duffy, the Associate Dean of Undergrad Science a mention. The man is brilliant; he teaches, researches, organises and will still take time to help you with any problems you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

Have to give Peter Duffy, the Associate Dean of Undergrad Science a mention. The man is brilliant; he teaches, researches, organises and will still take time to help you with any problems you might have.

Peter Duffy is my hero <3

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ad83

Haha nice to get a bit of an insight as to what was going on a few years back! I'm (for the most part) enjoying science so far! I'm going into third year, we were the first year of the new completely undenominated system, so there are a lot of cracks to be filled in with new modules and new systems. The staff are for the vast majority really sound, one or two are a bit up themselves with little reason to be. There's a few ones that are a nightmare to get in contact with too! But as I said, they're generally great. Have to give Peter Duffy, the Associate Dean of Undergrad Science a mention. The man is brilliant; he teaches, researches, organises and will still take time to help you with any problems you might have.

Is that the guy? Thanks for clearing that up. He was really sound and helpful. Sorry if i implied he was doing nothing over there as he really went above and beyond in helping me out(and many many others ). Thanks Peter.

Glad to hear your enjoying it for the most part and hope everyone else is also. Just really sparked a thought in my head yesterday following on from speaking to my neighbour who also hated it and felt like he was the only one.

I assume those lads i mentioned graduated by their 12th year and their parents refused to pay for a masters and kicked them out. Seriously, i think some of them had only one lecture to go to in order to fall over the finish line and they would rather stand around being abused by that kid who aced his leaving at 13. I wonder what happened him. I should note that i never talked to the kid and it may have just been a rumour about a young looking 17 yo.

Still would love to hear if anyone else has any opinions to share.

As an aside I should note that when i emigrated after the recession i subsequently realised how valuable a science degree from ucd would have been in the international jobs market. A non related masters on top of a bsc often appears to trump a bachelors in the same field.Just a thought for anyone who may go abroad in the years to come and was thinking of packing it in though not sure who wants to spend 4 years on something they really dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Howdy, im contemplating science in ucd, as a mature student and am particularly interested in the environmental biology pathway. Id be interested to hear from current students, whether or not they are enjoying the course, how they find the workload and the general lie of the land as regards science in UCD. Any advice/info greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Does anyone think DN200 will go up anymore? 500 points just seems ridiculous, 6years ago it was 300! Madness it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Starting DN200 in september. Canyou change your preference at registration? I have down no peference, but definitley want to do theoretical physics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

gline wrote: »
    Starting DN200 in september. Canyou change your preference at registration? I have down no peference, but definitley want to do theoretical physics now.
    You can choose TP through no preference, I assume. Or just pick all the TP modules. I also suggest choosing the maths MATH classes rather than the physics MATH ones. I just think that for TP, the hard maths classes are more relevant. Also analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Ruski wrote: »
    You can choose TP through no preference, I assume. Or just pick all the TP modules. I also suggest choosing the maths MATH classes rather than the physics MATH ones. I just think that for TP, the hard maths classes are more relevant. Also analysis.

Are the maths math classes nore difficult than the physics maths classes? I didnt know there was any different other than some of the topics covered?

From, what im hearing, to do TP, I just go into the maths and physics route of science when I start and choose the modules required to eventually go into TP over years 1 + 2

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

gline wrote: »
    Are the maths math classes nore difficult than the physics maths classes? I didnt know there was any different other than some of the topics covered?

From, what im hearing, to do TP, I just go into the maths and physics route of science when I start and choose the modules required to eventually go into TP over years 1 + 2

The difference between the MATH classes is the.. "maths-ness" of it. Sure the topics are the same, but the maths ones are better in terms of learning to think mathematically, whereas the physics and science maths would have more problem-solving.

Theoretical Physics has its own route from 1st year. The modules that you do are the same that you do if you choose to do physics and applied & computational maths. Also if you take the maths MATH classes, you'll have the option of getting a degree in ACM if you decide that you like it more than TP, even if they're pretty similar.

I really hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Also, do take ACM10070 (Mathematical Modelling) when you get in. It's incredible, though for some reason it's not a core.

EDIT2: I just looked at the modules list, and it looks like they have combined the maths and physics MATH streams that they have last year into one. So you're safe now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

505 cao points. up 5 from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

How times have changed, hard to believe it was 280 points a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tennisabu

I am going for Science No Preference. Is anyone else going to UCD to move in before their schedule starts during orientation week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Watching Paint Dry

Hey there, I'm heading into 4th year Science. Can anyone tell me if out-of-programme electives have been discontinued for forth years?

It's just that there's no electives tab on my module registration.

Advertisement