Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD SCIENCE!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Damn... I hope none of these labs get put on a Friday, because right now I have nothing that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

it seems like a lot of first years and second years have fridays off so far

including me, praying i have fridays off

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

i have one class so far, 10pm to 11.. so hoping i have labs otherwise ill be spending more time in a bus coming in and out than in the actual class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Am I right in thinking labs & tutorials are assigned the same day as electives? So Friday?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Conor108 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking labs & tutorials are assigned the same day as electives? So Friday?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

I think I remember actually starting lectures last year before the tutorials were assigned, because one of my lecturers said that we were all assigned to a tutorial, but most of us told her that in fact they weren't assigned yet. I think they were assigned in the first week of lectures at some stage.

And I don't have Fridays off, I'm 9-5 on Friday (with a 3 hour gap in fairness) - in semester 2 last year I only had one 12pm lecture on Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Right, ignore what I said above - I saw this on facebook!
    Student fitting for Stage 2/3, semester 1 modules is now taking place from 7 to 9 September. During this process the modules are offline which means that you will not be able to see them on your SIS record. They will, however, appear on your timetable. You will receive an email to your UCD Connect account informing you of the start of fitting to your tutorials/labs/practicals and you will also receive an email when the process has been completed.

Right, ignore what I said above - I saw this on facebook!

lolz saw that too! So handy that UCD Registry page. I'm mega worried I'm gonna have labs at 9am, nightmare.

lolz saw that too! So handy that UCD Registry page. I'm mega worried I'm gonna have labs at 9am, nightmare.

Yea, and some of the labs are on at awful times and it's "random" which one you'll be assigned to!

I'm not too bad as I'm only waiting on two tutorials and two computer labs to be assigned - I printed out the timetable and put in the tutorials and labs in pencil, I'll rub out whichever ones I don't have then :o

If you get a lab time that you don't like, you could possibly ask to swap with somebody who'd rather your timeslot - it's a long shot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

My labs are being done now I think as I can't see them on SIS.

5 of my modules for semester 1 have labs and tutorials so I'm expecting the worst :eek:

My perfect Friday off is looking pretty vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

2nd year physics, right? You'll have labs from 3-6, Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

Has anyone ever taken GEOL10040 "Earth, Envorinment and Society" as a module?

What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

with labs out today it interferes with an elective lecture every second week....can i still keep the elective or do i really need to change it??

I have no problem at all no going to the clashing lecture and really want to keep the elective....

Yere thoughts??

2 tutorials clashed so I had to swap one module which messed up my balanced semester breakdown to 5 in semester 1 and 7 in sem 2. Managed to fix it like 20 mins before registration closed. SUCCESS

Well the assignment of tutorials has made my timetable awful. 10-4 non-stop on Monday isn't fun (could be worse though).

Conor, glad to hear you got sorted but you can have an unbalanced timetable between semesters, I had last year. Your year GPA is calculated as (1/12)(5*(Semester 1 GPA) + 7*(Semester 2 GPA))

Conor, glad to hear you got sorted but you can have an unbalanced timetable between semesters, I had last year. Your year GPA is calculated as (1/12)(5*(Semester 1 GPA) + 7*(Semester 2 GPA))

Ohh didn't know thats how they calculated it. I meant I fixed the clash btw it's still unbalanced, I don't really mind but I'll have like 1 more exam now in sem 2. Sad times but like it'll be grand.:D

Ohh didn't know thats how they calculated it. I meant I fixed the clash btw it's still unbalanced, I don't really mind but I'll have like 1 more exam now in sem 2. Sad times but like it'll be grand.:D

Well, what they actually do is weight it based on your credits, so it's really (5/60)*(Module 1 GPA) + (5/60)*(Module 2 GPA) + ... + (5/60)*(Module 12 GPA), or in the case of 10 credit modules, it'll be (10/60)*(Module GPA), but effectively it's the same thing!

Was it your electives they clashed with? Or options? Because I don't think there should be clashes with in-program modules.

Was it your electives they clashed with? Or options? Because I don't think there should be clashes with in-program modules.

It was a biology module tutorial clashing with a maths tutorial. The biology was my option but I just swapped it for something else. One of my cores clashed with a recommended module though, silly UCD...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Anybody ever taken ACM30210 Foundations of Quantum Mechanics or some equivalent? The module summary recommends that one followed ACM30010 Analytical Mechanics but would I be safe in thinking it's not totally necessary?

For one of my modules (Linear Models 1 STAT30240) I'm registered to a tutorial at a really awkward time - there's a nicer tutorial offering the day before which does fit my timetable. I can't actually change this on SIS, but is there any way of going to the science admin or programme office to ask them to do this? The reason is that if I change the tutorial then I'll be in time to make a direct bus if I'm going home for the weekend, otherwise I'll have to get two buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but is anyone else really annoyed that they closed the computer room in the science building? It means you're not probably going to be able to print off things at the last minute before a lecture, and come the busier times the ag computer room is going to be packed.

• Advertisement

Use the USB printing at the photocopiers opposite elements, or go up a floor and print at the SUAS computers there. At busier times, just walk down to Daedalus - Always been able to get a PC there without much of a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

For one of my modules (Linear Models 1 STAT30240) I'm registered to a tutorial at a really awkward time - there's a nicer tutorial offering the day before which does fit my timetable. I can't actually change this on SIS, but is there any way of going to the science admin or programme office to ask them to do this? The reason is that if I change the tutorial then I'll be in time to make a direct bus if I'm going home for the weekend, otherwise I'll have to get two buses!

Is it Andrew Parnell still?

If so just have a chat with him, I had to change mine last year and he was very accommodating. TBH I don't think I went to any of the tutorials in the end (I'm not saying do that :P) but he had no issue. He won't change you on the computer, but theres no credit for the tutorials so it was no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

About the printing, the printer connected to the upstairs SUAS computers is 'temporarily out of order' for the past week. And the fact that there's no services desk now doesn't help.

There's nowhere except for copi-print in science to print, and nowhere to work on documents. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Anyone that has done 2nd year physics have any tips for what to do for lab reports? I'm completely stuck here.

Here you go, stripped all the detail out of one of my old ones. Use that as a template and you should be ok, that format went fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Hey, I'm currently in first year doing maths for mathematical sciences yet I don't actually have a hope of continuing on to do a maths degree... Am I wasting my time? I don't actually mind maths, but how big is the difficulty gap between maths for MS and maths for Physical sciences?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

First time in UCD and I have to say all of the lectures and all of the rest are so friendly, its a really nice atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Here see if I fail 1 module, computer programming 1 (I f**king HATE it) , should I say bye-bye to my dreams of getting into neuroscience in second year? I've heard it's really competitive, the top 15-20 are taken in. Will my GPA fall a great deal if I fail/do badly in this one module?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Here see if I fail 1 module, computer programming 1 (I f**king HATE it) , should I say bye-bye to my dreams of getting into neuroscience in second year? I've heard it's really competitive, the top 15-20 are taken in. Will my GPA fall a great deal if I fail/do badly in this one module?

First of all, I love your username. Also, it seems quite apt.

Unfortunately however, as far as I know, the people who don't get 60 credits (don't pass all their subjects, even if they compensate with an E grade and don't have to repeat), they get very low preference in terms of assignment of streams in 2nd year.

This years incoming 2nd years that got into Neuroscience had a GPA ~3.4 or so, as far as I know, I'm not certain (that's the lowest of the small number of people who're in it that I aksed). And you're right, it is the hardest one to get into due to demand and small number of spaces, followed by Physiology and then Pharmacology.
    So really try your best at that Computer Science module, because if you fail, you're pretty much out for the count, unless the system has changed.

However, if you get a bare pass (a D grade, which is GPA of 2.0), and you get a B+ grade in everything else, you'll get 3.4. But also, bear in mind that the 3.4 figure I gave you mightn't necessarily be the lowest.
    So best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Unfortunately however, as far as I know, the people who don't get 60 credits (don't pass all their subjects, even if they compensate with an E grade and don't have to repeat), they get very low preference in terms of assignment of streams in 2nd year.

If the module has a resit option next semester, they could fail it this semester but pass the resit. Which would have a 2.0 grade point. So then they would actually have 60 credits.

The issue would be the GPA and if the other 11 modules had good enough of a grade.

Advertisement