Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boland

• 29-09-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hey. I have a essay to write on Eavan Boland- The Pomegranate under certain headings. I am normally okay at these essays but for some reason, I cannot seem to be able to elaborate on the theme of parenthood, in particular motherhood at all today. I just can't concentrate. :(

Can anyone give me a starting point and ideas please? I wouldn't ask but I am completely stuck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

sup_dude wrote: »
    Hey. I have a essay to write on Eavan Boland- The Pomegranate under certain headings. I am normally okay at these essays but for some reason, I cannot seem to be able to elaborate on the theme of parenthood, in particular motherhood at all today. I just can't concentrate. :(

Can anyone give me a starting point and ideas please? I wouldn't ask but I am completely stuck!

Well if you're talking about Motherhood in the Pomegranate you should probably mention the links between the poem and the myth of Ceres and Persephone. You're also talking about how the poets feels about her daughter growing up. She has to let her child go out into the world and discove all the horrible things that she has already found out. She decides not to warn her because she thinks that in order to become your own person you must endure some kind of suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ddyradd

sup_dude wrote: »

The Pommegrannete:

-Intensely personal. Boland shares her parental realationship in an undeniably intimate manner.
    -"her can of coke" "teen magazines" Boland imbuses the poem with universal relevance by carefully employing icons of youth culture

Loads more just read the poem line by line and ask yourself what its saying about aprenthood

Also a nice little point about this poem is how Boland blends tense to show the long and changing relationship of parenthood. Pluperfect, Past, Present indicitave and imperative and future are blended excellently.

Also the last line , the caesura is wonderfully for showing the tension in the relationship " And two her lips/ I will say nothing "

Advertisement