Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CNN Main Headline: Irelands Ghost Estates

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Tell them they are Leprechaun's houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Anyone would think they are trying to make us ask for a IMF bailout. This type of coverage aint doing our markets any good.:pac::eek::rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone would think they are trying to make us ask for a IMF bailout. This type of coverage aint doing our markets any good.:pac::eek::rolleyes::)

I'm sure that those that lend to us are already aware of this hence the high rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

whats true is its funny, but its funny that its true, to quote a famous bard, no wonder our borrowing rate is almost 7%, but miday tomorrow ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's still the truth, not FF's everything is broadly running close to our estimations bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Unfortunately for us, on the International scene everyone see's that we ran ourselves right into the ground... we had it all and blew it all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Won't somebody please think of the Bondholders

They get scared so easily:(

Won't somebody please think of the Bondholders

They get scared so easily:(

Well are they the ones not keeping us afloat? Be it at very high interest rates :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Slow news day.

Edit: It's also not on the homepage for 99% of visitors. Just those accessing the site from Ireland. It doesn't feature at all on either the homepage, or even the World News. The only place a a person accessing the site from outside of Ireland will find it is buried with 140 other videos in the Video section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I thought that said Ghost Eaters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Cmdr Keen wrote: »
    Looks like we grabbed the main headline on http://cnn.com with our Ghost Estates...

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/business/2010/09/29/jordan.ireland.ghost.town.cnn

Yet again a laughing stock... :(

NIRSA! ; YET ANOTHER EFFING Q..U..A...N.........G............O!!!

OH, ITS FAMOUS NOW - IT SAW THE LIGHT OF DAY ON WHERE ELSE, CNN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

In their breaking news section?! FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Damn ghosts! It just takes one to move in and there goes the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Looks like we grabbed the main headline on http://cnn.com with our Ghost Estates...

What are the Americans laughing at? Shur the Chinese are bailing them. Kettle calling the pot black methinks.......we are rightly in the sh!te though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I would like to congratulate all of the greedy people of Ireland for getting us into this mess.

/wanker and proud of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It was on earlier here in France with Richard Quest (?) and him also interviewing Bertie Ahern why Bertie feels comparisons with Greece are unfair..

Not really their breaking news..

Terry wrote: »
    I would like to congratulate all of the greedy people of Ireland for getting us into this mess.

/wanker and proud of it.

Our situation had nothing to do with collective greed... rather the lax regulation on our financial institutions that did the most damage...

Remember when that f**king eijit Bertie Aherne stood up to economists that were saying the end is nigh in 2006? He said "I don't know how people like that don't commit suicide" A year and a bit later, collapse! What a f**king goon! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Anyone would think they are trying to make us ask for a IMF bailout.

past that I am afraid - even if the euro knights or IMF crusaders arrive all our money has gone to money heaven

too many gombeen bank ball licking politicians all around the country and far too little hard protestation including legal and illegal protest in this country

sligopark wrote: »
    past that I am afraid - even if the euro knights or IMF crusaders arrive all our money has gone to money heaven

too many gombeen bank ball licking politicians all around the country and far too little hard protestation including legal and illegal protest in this country

Knights in really shiney armour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

How exactly are we a laughing stock?

Predator_ wrote: »

because our prime minister is a drunk, our gombeen politicians sold us, our children and grandchildren out to banker blackmail and we as a nation are taking it without rioting and burning out the dail - thats why people are laughing at us

need more explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I'm sure the markets would love an IMF bailout. Lots of opportunity. One of the conditions of a bailout would probably be that we privatise everything.

because our prime minister is a drunk, our gombeen politicians sold us, our children and grandchildren out to banker blackmail and we as a nation are taking it without rioting and burning out the dail - thats why people are laughing at us

need more explanation?

I was saying it in relation to the piece on CNN. I dont see Americans falling around their living rooms because Ireland has some ghost estates.
    I would hang all Fine Fail politicians if I had the power so dont say that to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

sounds to me like cnn is just having a slow news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

need more explanation?

Jesus , will people get a grip on the Brian Cowan drunk rubbish and actually read past headlines.

All that was on Leno was some people laughing at a funny looking pic of a foreign politician. Nobody knew or cared who he was and I doubt anyone in american could even remember the bit if you asked them about it.

Where was all this outrage when Tony Blair tried his hand at French and said he'd like to have Sakosy in many positons? All this crap is getting really old at this stage. Have people no lives to be getting on with instead of wasting them away moaning all the time.

We're in a recession, woop dee do. We've been in them before and in about 20 years we'll be in one again. The only difference is most of the people that are old enough now will be looking at all the hysterics going on during the next one and shaking their heads at all the overreacting going on with people thinking the sky is falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

need more explanation?

But if we were to riot and burn down the Dail then we'd have to pay for it to be rebuilt. Thankfully the Irish are thick but not as thick as the Greeks.

I would hang all Fine Fail politicians if I had the power so dont say that to me!

I think you are missing the FG and Labour politicians who also endorsed the whole building boom and bank bail out

The dail should be bombed on its fullest day and new politics allowed arise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

need more explanation?

Will it all be as hysterical as the first bit? =p

Burning out the Dail sounds like a plan though.. that'll get us out of this mess!

• Advertisement

I think you are missing the FG and Labour politicians who also endorsed the whole building boom and bank bail out

The dail should be bombed on its fullest day and new politics allowed arise

Agreed. I would also like to add the bankers and priests to that list!
    Ireland need Patriotic Celtic leadership! And leave the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Wake me up when they stop talking about Anglo Irish bank and how we're ****ed, night all.

Burning out the Dail sounds like a plan though.. that'll get us out of this mess!

good to see someone thinks it funny ;)

Stekelly wrote: »

We're in a recession, woop dee do. We've been in them before and in about 20 years we'll be in one again. The only difference is most of the people that are old enough now will be looking at all the hysterics going on during the next one and shaking their heads at all the overreacting going on with people thinking the sky is falling.

The only difference is mate that we'll be the very last country out of it because of the f**king mess we are in, so you go and "woop dee do" somewhere else tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tomorrow morning will be when the real trouble hits. The Anglo evaluation will be out, and it won't be pretty.

The only difference is mate that we'll be the very last country out of it because of the f**king mess we are in, so you go and "woop dee do" somewhere else tbh

agreed we won't be out of recession never mind paid out for the anglo irish political party mess 20 years from now and battling life without education, healthcare and national structural upkeep

the only thing I can hope for is some new politics

and the jailing of key members of the political bankster class

people used to laugh that the difference in Ireland and Iceland was one letter...

now their economy is on the up and they are putting their politicians toward criminal trial

whilst we are looking at a generation plus of poverty for those middle class down and the political ankster class are laughing at us

as our the EU political bankster class and those self same round the world blackmailing us into 7% national bond interest rates

shame on those not willing to riot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Confab wrote: »
    Tomorrow morning will be when the real trouble hits. The Anglo evaluation will be out, and it won't be pretty.

The Bondholders wont sleep tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

What's the deal with this? Will they be able to lie and cut off a couple of billion or will this evaluation be examined by others to make sure they're telling the truth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, the national fear of what others think of us (when they probably don't really) is more prevalent I'd say...

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    What's the deal with this? Will they be able to lie and cut off a couple of billion or will this evaluation be examined by others to make sure they're telling the truth?

A couple of billion won't make much of a difference. S&P say that if the total is over 35 billion they'll probably downgrade Ireland's credit rating. Most estimates are between 40-60 billion. Lower credit rating equals more risk, more risk equals higher bond rates. The next few days will be interesting.

Michael Martin said
    “By and large we are very confident we’ll come out of this,” Martin said in an interview today in New York. “Clearly it’s challenging and so on, but there’s no necessity for the triggering of such a mechanism.”

That's iffy language for such an important issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Those houses at the start would have a far better chance of selling with a lick of paint.

They're awful grey looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ghostbusters! hehehehehahahahhohohohoho

Where is enniscorthy gone ....

A couple of billion won't make much of a difference. S&P say that if the total is over 35 billion they'll probably downgrade Ireland's credit rating. Most estimates are between 40-60 billion. Lower credit rating equals more risk, more risk equals higher bond rates. The next few days will be interesting.

Michael Martin said

That's iffy language for such an important issue.

Indeed. Well hopefully this will be the straw that breaks the camels back that puts an end to the Fianna Fail web of bullsh1t. Whether or not we need an EU/IMF bail-out will become very apparent very soon.

Indeed. Well hopefully this will be the straw that breaks the camels back that puts an end to the Fianna Fail web of bullsh1t. Whether or not we need an EU/IMF bail-out will become very apparent very soon.

Do people fully understand the full implications of what this will actually involve?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Do people fully understand the full implications of what this will actually involve?

I'm under the assumption that it will mean savage cuts in a very short period of time. i.e. a nasty budget that cuts 20bn instead of 3bn.

I'm under the assumption that it will mean savage cuts in a very short period of time. i.e. a nasty budget that cuts 20bn instead of 3bn.

thamks of course to the billions provided toward money heaven via the dail

OPENROAD wrote: »

Yep, and I'll be hit badly, being unemployed.

SAVE LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SAVED BEFORE!

That said, it won't be the IMF coming in, it'll be the EU with an IMF delegation. The IMF have destroyed most countries in their path and the EU knows it needs to keep them from disemboweling us.

And so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stekelly wrote: »
    I don't agree, but obviously this is just my opinion. This one is different than the last and the one before. I lived through the latter and I remember the rampant inflation of the 70's before it. The difference this time is we went a lot higher and we've a lot more of a drop to fall into. That part is actually OK. Confidence will come back and save us there. The big problem is the huge cheque the government wrote to cover all the screwups of a particular and small group of investors. A move that was remarkably swift in it's execution and equally remarkable in how many of those investors appeared to be psychic at the time.... Compare how long the gov were discussing banning stag hunts to how quick NAMA was signed off.

Guaranteeing our main banks was a good move, but essentially writing off the fcukups in anglo on the taxpayers ticket was daft. And we will be paying this back, and our children will be paying this back for many years. We've essentially said "ah its ok to make huge losses in the irish financial sector and the gov/taxpayer will bale you out". It's not far off a bookies paying you back your bet when your horse fell over in the first furlong. And the bill gets ever higher and higher and higher.

I truly hope I'm wrong on all these points.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And in yet another CNN Headline:

Why is the lack of demand for public debt a problem?
    If no one is willing to buy sovereign debt, governments are forced to service their bulging loans from the public purse as well as to use state finances to try to stimulate growth. Ireland is a case in point. The country announced Wednesday plans to create 300,000 jobs as it struggles to shake off recession.
    At the same time, ratings agencies Standards & Poor's and Fitch warned that the country was at risk of further credit downgrades due to its multi-billion euro bailout of troubled bank Anglo Irish. The threat of a downgrade pushed up Ireland's cost of borrowing on financial markets, creating an extra squeeze on public finances.
    "It looks bad," says Ken Wattret, chief Euroland economist at BNP Paribas. "It's not exactly the same as Greece because the debt-to-GDP ratio going into this crisis was much lower. But the scale of the problem the government faces in Ireland is huge. The financial sector is in deep, deep trouble and the government is having to support it and that is putting huge strain on public finances.

And in yet another CNN Headline:

Why is the lack of demand for public debt a problem?
    If no one is willing to buy sovereign debt, governments are forced to service their bulging loans from the public purse as well as to use state finances to try to stimulate growth. Ireland is a case in point. The country announced Wednesday plans to create 300,000 jobs as it struggles to shake off recession.
    At the same time, ratings agencies Standards & Poor's and Fitch warned that the country was at risk of further credit downgrades due to its multi-billion euro bailout of troubled bank Anglo Irish. The threat of a downgrade pushed up Ireland's cost of borrowing on financial markets, creating an extra squeeze on public finances.
    "It looks bad," says Ken Wattret, chief Euroland economist at BNP Paribas. "It's not exactly the same as Greece because the debt-to-GDP ratio going into this crisis was much lower. But the scale of the problem the government faces in Ireland is huge. The financial sector is in deep, deep trouble and the government is having to support it and that is putting huge strain on public finances.

Seems like the US is really playing this up. I know we're in serious trouble, but they seem delighted that the EU is having problems.

300,000 jobs ROLMFAO :D

Homnestly this sounds as hollow as biffo taking the pledge

wnakerdom political bankster talk at its best

• Advertisement
Advertisement