Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadsign hunters

Options
  • 29-09-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Doing alot of driving around the country and can't help noticing the number of roadsigns bearing the wounds of mindless firearms owners.
    It amazed me to see a number of signs with rifle round holes one of which had a housing estate no more than 150 meters behind the sign.
    This sort of behaviour really boils my blood and the small number of dopes that think it's cool to hit a stationary roadsign are bringing the whole firearm owning community into disrepute, probably couldn't hit a moving target anyway.
    ----Rant over----:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Can't disagree with any of that. It happens around here too, a minority giving the majority a bad name. They don't deserve to keep their licenses IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I wholeheartedly agree!

Not only are these eejits discharging their firearms in utter disregard of all the norms of safe firearm handling, they're doing so and leaving unambiguous evidence of their activities in extraordinarily public places: at the side of the road on signs that people are specifically looking for and at.

They deserve to have the book thrown at them in no uncertain terms. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Happens in these northern parts also :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I havn't seen it around here thank god!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

used to be a fair bit of it around here but its gone quite lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

you mean like this classic? http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23676275

Someone has commented underneath in German that looks like something out of Texas (i.e the wild west.) Welcome to Ireland, how are ye?:rolleyes:

NFD100 wrote: »

Someone has commented underneath in German that looks like something out of Texas (i.e the wild west.) Welcome to Ireland, how are ye?:rolleyes:

If you're ever on Crete, take the landrover safari tour. Part of it goes inland, now that's where you see shot up signs, they'd put colanders to shame. A lot of them quite big holes too, slugs possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

NFD100 wrote: »

Ja, alitza, ist doch eine schöne Begrüßung! Das war an der Grenze nach Donegal an der Straße von Sligo nach Bundoran. Ich hab mich gleich weggeduckt, die Einschußlöcher sahen ja noch ganz frisch aus!
    Gruß, Klaus

Translated; Yes alitza ,its a nice greeting!This was on the border to Donegal on the road from Sligo to Bundoran.I got out of there real quick,the bullet holes looked very new.

Klaus

What pees me off about this is that some of these signs look like they were shot at from a passenger side of a car while driving!!.If that is the case ,what kind of total loons are going about our roads??

And worst! There are THREE of them heading down towards Midlands shooting range !:mad::mad::mad::mad:.
    Wether this was done deliberately or by pure ignorance
    [NOTE.I am NO WAY suggesting or implying that any member of Midlands past,present was in anyway involved or responsible for this!!]
    It sends out a diabolical message that near one of our premier shooting ranges this sort of carry on is to be seen...This sort of coboyism should be jumped on very,very hard by both the Gardai and gunowners!! Idiot Numpties!!:mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

gun club signs get a bit of a battering around here alright

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

theres a yeild sign about three miles from my house with 16 holes shot in it. it really gives gun owners a bad name:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Ive heard of tractors and farm machinery getting the same treatment.
    Cant imagine any paid up members of our gun club involved in these acts of vandalism.
    The club has had a few reports of poachers <mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The club has had a few reports of poachers <mod snip>

ii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

this kind of thing boils my blood...... what mindless idoit shoots at a roadsign probally to impress someone else.......one word....god****e

tommy:mad::mad:

Golf course has a no shooting sign up with 10 holes in it, mind you it also says no hunting dogs but I couldn't make out any teeth marks.

S bend sign by a river has two shotgun blasts.

There was a gunclub sign out the road that got the same treatment.

There's a no littering, fine etc, sign near where I graze some sheep has multiple holes in it.

Fools with firearms :rolleyes:

Ive heard of tractors and farm machinery getting the same treatment.

:eek: Not to excuse sign shooting, but that's way more serious, someone could be around large machinery unnoticed.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

There's one range I've been in where at least one of the containers used as storage/firing points has been shot. Not by the members, to be clear, but by some passing fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shootemall

i only agree with shooting road signs if you take them home and eat them afterwards if you dont its just cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Doing alot of driving around the country and can't help noticing the number of roadsigns bearing the wounds of mindless firearms owners.
    It amazed me to see a number of signs with rifle round holes one of which had a housing estate no more than 150 meters behind the sign.
    This sort of behaviour really boils my blood and the small number of dopes that think it's cool to hit a stationary roadsign are bringing the whole firearm owning community into disrepute, probably couldn't hit a moving target anyway.
    ----Rant over----:pac:

Is this why the local authorities put up "deer crossing " signs, for these "A*******s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

theres a stretch of road going between newcastle and ballinamult between the waterford tip boarder. and theres not a signpost on it that isnt shot to bits with rifles and shotguns. some very big holes in it too which i presume is from a bigger caliber rifle. the signs are higher than the person firing so the bullet is going up and i dont think the thin metal would have much effect on a .243 or .223 bullet.
    makes the place look horrible and gives hunters a bad name as if they all do it.

you'd understand if it was signs supporting tip;)but road signs is just plain vandalism.
    joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Alright then lads, it is agreed - no more shooting signs! Go back to the red dot instead.
    2107184100_124bedf9aa.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement
Advertisement