Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison visitors

Options
  • 29-09-2010 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Why oh why cant normal users post in the prison forum?

Its one of the best forums on boards.:(
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Or at the very least give Pighead access to reply to the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

id pay cash money for access.

Not to troll. Merely to state the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

c'mon guys. the prisoners wouldn't want it this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Joke answer: Fascist Admins :rolleyes:

Real answer: Because it would a) rile up the trolls and make them come back to cause more troube and b) some people do genuinely appeal their bans and don't need people injecting their 'humour' into the proceedings

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've spent many a lonely hour laughing myself happy at Pighead's contributions to the Prison forum.

Un-free the Pighead One!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Daemos wrote: »
    Joke Real answer: Fascist Admins :rolleyes:

Fixed that for you ;)
    Real answer: Because it would a) rile up the trolls and make them come back to cause more troube and b) some people do genuinely appeal their bans and don't need people injecting their 'humour' into the proceedings

It's more so the latter tbh, you've hit the nail on the head there. Everyone is entitled to due process, even spammers and trolls. It's far easier to ensure this and to make sure that anyone who wants to appeal can make their case without being heckled or otherwise having the piss taken out of them. We make a point of ensuring that no more than two admins ever respond to any prison thread, again to give the appellant a chance to make their case without them feeling that the admins are ganging up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Why is search disabled in the Prison forum?

A siteban is an issue between the banned poster and the admins, it's really nobody else's business. By disabling search other posters are prevented from dragging up old threads that they may then use to rile a previously banned poster or for other nefarious purposes. With search disabled any such mischief-making is made more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Yes, but ...what about the fun element?

It would be so much fun to stage bastille day uprisings against the admins!:(

Darlughda wrote: »
    Yes, but ...what about the fun element?

I'll have a word with Gordon and ask him to try and be funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Or you could make Pighead an admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Or you could make Pighead an admin.

now you're just confusing comical with farcical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

IIRC, you can't see the Prison charter when sitebanned. Am I right? How come you can't see the charter when you get banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

My stock response to this thread is always: I'm quite happy to let you post in Prison, just give me the word and I'll amend your site access to be accommodated.

Conjugal visits aren't suitable as people may be eating their dinner.

Gordon wrote: »
    My stock response to this thread is always: I'm quite happy to let you post in Prison, just give me the word and I'll amend your site access to be accomodated.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67585240&postcount=2

Who still had access? :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My stock response to this thread is always: I'm quite happy to let you post in Prison, just give me the word and I'll amend your site access to be accommodated.

Good work. Keep working on the comic timing. Youre almost there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know of an account or two that may want to take you up on this offer... >_>

All depending on the FeedForward findings, of course! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oryx wrote: »
    Good work. Keep working on the comic timing. Youre almost there.
    3b80fca799b6c0_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pighead really should have his access restored. If only for a couple of months to compensate him for the little incident last year. Remember the time when he was given a toy, only to have it taken from him almost immediately?

There are a few others who would liven up the place too.

I can see why some bans should not be taken lightly, such as most of the ones from adverts, but regular re-reg trolls like jake la motta and such should have the piss taken out of them.

Now I'm not taking away from the great job that Gordon does, but variety is the spice of life. It's also a spice that taste like cumin, but that's neither here nor there.

I also understand tha boards is not like it used to be. Back when Talliesin was an Smod, some of his ban reasons were brilliantly funny. I know that this is no longer allowed though.

Yeah, I'm being nostalgic, but I can also see how the site needs to move on from that crap. However, there is still room to bring down those who wish to denigrate the members of this site.

Paul Gogarty had his moment in the Dail with his "Fúck you, Deputy Stagg" comment (which I didn't agree with on a political standpoint, but still found funny), so I don't see how we can't have our own "Fúck you" moments.
    Prison is a harsh place. Let's not pretend that the inmates are nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Zaph wrote: »
    A siteban is an issue between the banned poster and the admins, it's really nobody else's business.

Why is it viewable to the rest of boards.ie then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

My two pennoworth

The Prison forum is one of the funniest and most entertaining forums on here

The approaches made by the alleged sinners is hilarious, everything from the indignant to the insulting to the bewildered

I do an Admin role elsewhere (no Im not daft enough to mention it by name ;) ) and I have to pay the Admins here involved a massive compliment regarding the consistency, fairness and good humour they consistently demonstrate in the face of such idiocy, arrogance and duplicity on occasion. Well done guys.

Its a pity the openness isnt extended to allow posters to contribute as the comedy potential is enormous, but I do understand why it cant be done. shame :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

WindSock wrote: »

Transparency?...yadda yadda yadda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

We can see straight through that !

WindSock wrote: »
    Why is anything anything?

For teh lulz, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can see why people want Pighead back (I'd love him to be a mod or whatever in the prison forum) but I still find Gordon and Lolth to be hilarious when given the opportunity.

It's a shame more posters don't understand the greatness of the prison forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In the confusing yet entertaining and somewhat worrying turn of events that ended up in me being a prison mod for a day or two a year ago or thereabouts (Yay Sparky, boo Gordy :D), let me tell you that this source of current joviality is heavily sanitised these days - I have borne truth to the saying: "what has been seen cannot be unseen" and can tell you that the unseen seedy underbelly of abuse towards boards, its mods and admins and its users from the banned was not something that made me feel all bubbly and warm inside.

Kudos to the admins for keeping it sane, staying cool, and providing the opportunity for banned muppets dicks users to appeal. Double points for Gordon and his master wordsmithery in every situation no matter how obtuse the user becomes. :cool:

p.s. if you need a search, us AMods can do it as technically we still have access but there may be a small fee involved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Steve wrote: »
    p.s. if you need a search, us AMods can do it as technically we still have access but there may be a small fee involved :D
    http://www.adverts.ie/202/services/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yeah - I'd have to pay to put it there.

Wouldn't want to be accused of abusing mod powers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

So, maybe is there any chance of a benevolenet prisoner visitors private forum?

No, Gordan, conjugal visits are not what I was thinking of, you saucy thing you.

Us do gooders could visit and post prisoners cheery words of hope and salvation. (and smuggle phones and whatnot).

But, hey, it will make us feel good and better about ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I know of an account or two that may want to take you up on this offer... >_>

All depending on the FeedForward findings, of course! :p

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Advertisement