Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time relevant course?

• 29-09-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all
    Have been reading some of the threads and hope you can help. I'm interested in doing a foundation course in Psychology to see if it is something I could pursue futher.

I know DBS have a 12 week part time course, Independent Colleges have a part time diploma, and the ATI have a home study course - which one to do?! Feeling a bit lost....are any of them worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, Amanda

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭braceface

Any opinions on decent part time Psychology course? any recommendations?

Thanks, BF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

As far as I am aware you can do a 1 year Psychology course in DBS one night a week that basically teaches you a selection of modules from the psychology degree. This give you an idea of whether psychology is for you, plus if you decide to go on and do a full degree there, you get an exemption for the modules you've already covered, so you've essentially got a head start. I'd reckon the 12 week DBS course might not give you any exemptions should you go on to do the full degree (I could be wrong).

I haven't heard anything about the other courses, sorry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As far as I am aware you can do a 1 year Psychology course in DBS one night a week that basically teaches you a selection of modules from the psychology degree. This give you an idea of whether psychology is for you, plus if you decide to go on and do a full degree there, you get an exemption for the modules you've already covered, so you've essentially got a head start. I'd reckon the 12 week DBS course might not give you any exemptions should you go on to do the full degree (I could be wrong).

I haven't heard anything about the other courses, sorry..

Your spot on about the DBS courses KK, the 1 year one with give you that head start if you go ahead and do the DBS BA. The 12 week only gives you an overview, I teach a 12 Addiction Studies programme in another college. TBH I'm surprised at the amount of people who I have to dealt with who think a 12 week course will give them something more than an overview. I would like to think that I put a very good programme together, but I had to deal with lots of questions around accreditation with professional bodies.

All you can get out of a 12 course is a sense of what studying the area may entail, and I think they play a valuable role. My own journey started with a 12 week course and I recommend them regularly to people who want to know what a subject is like.

I just started my course this week, so the OP may have to wait until after Xmas before the colleges offer these courses again.

Edit: For the OP I would suggest one of the colleges rather than the home study, these course are about getting a taste of the subject. I spend a lot of time with students discussing the next step, I don't think you will get that on a home study course.

Advertisement