Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Telsey - Adding Netgear router

• 29-09-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I have a Magnet DSL connection (LLU) for over a year now - Telsey bridge.

I am getting a new router (*no modem*) this week
    NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WNDR3700).

I currently have a Belkin G+ modem/router that I am replacing and remember the pain getting this set up - I hate networks ;)

I don't have the new starter guide from Magnet. Can someone remind me if there are any passwords etc I will need when I hook up the Netgear to the Telsey?

I remember something about needing the serial number from the Telsey but if someone can remind me that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The only thing you need to watch out for will be the WAN setup on the existing Belkin. If your Telsey is in bridge mode then you would have previously changed a few settings on the WAN setup for the Belkin and will therefore need to make similar changes to the WAN settings on the new Netgear. If your Telsey is NOT in bridge mode then things should be much simpler and the new router will be pretty much ready to go out of the box. So check how the Belkin's WAN connection is setup and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jamesk_irl

bhickey wrote: »
    The only thing you need to watch out for will be the WAN setup on the existing Belkin. If your Telsey is in bridge mode then you would have previously changed a few settings on the WAN setup for the Belkin and will therefore need to make similar changes to the WAN settings on the new Netgear. If your Telsey is NOT in bridge mode then things should be much simpler and the new router will be pretty much ready to go out of the box. So check how the Belkin's WAN connection is setup and let us know.

Not sure I have WAN in my current Belkin setup, it could just be Telsey to Belkin LAN socket. Anyway I plan to get rid of the Belkin completely. I think because Belkin was a Modem/Router my current set-up is incorrect. I know for example, I no longer have access to the Belkin UI...

I don't know what mode the Telsey is in, it's whatever the default setting is, I think that's bridge.

So my intention is: Telsey to Netgear using WAN socket then everything else in the house will either be wired or wireless to the Netgear.

I think that should be straightforward but I need to know if there are any authentication passwords from Telsey/Magnet I need to complete the setup. I thought there was somehting about serial numbers being a password but it's a long time since I did this.

It sounds like the Telsey then is giving out all the IP's to the computers on the LAN/wireless. That would be its default setup. You shouldn't need any passwords to get started, just connect a cable from the Telsey to the WAN port of your new router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

In case you're not aware, the Telsey is by default in bridge mode, but it is bridging to Magnet's network.

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    In case you're not aware, the Telsey is by default in bridge mode, but it is bridging to Magnet's network.

Are you sure? It's been a while - maybe I'm thinking of the Zyxels that Magnet were providing. Anyway, so in that case Magnet supply the static Internet IP details and those details are set in the 'WAN' interface of whatever router is connecting to the Telsey (or as the static IP details it it's a computer connecting to the Telsey).

Jamesk_irl, are you actually using the Belkin router at the moment or is your PC connected directly to the Telsey? On your computer, could you go to a command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd > Ok in Windows XP) and type 'ipconfig /all' (without the quotation marks) and post the output?

• Advertisement

bhickey wrote: »
    Are you sure? It's been a while - maybe I'm thinking of the Zyxels that Magnet were providing. Anyway, so in that case Magnet supply the static Internet IP details and those details are set in the 'WAN' interface of whatever router is connecting to the Telsey (or as the static IP details it it's a computer connecting to the Telsey).

Jamesk_irl, are you actually using the Belkin router at the moment or is your PC connected directly to the Telsey? On your computer, could you go to a command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd > Ok in Windows XP) and type 'ipconfig /all' (without the quotation marks) and post the output?

Yes I have a NMT wired to the Belkin and when connecting wirelessly use the Belkin signal. You are right public ips are allocated by the Telsey through the Belkin to all downstream machines.

Thanks for the feedback that I don't need any passwords - just need to hook up the Netgear to the Telsey using WAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

To hijack the thread- I am in the process of getting Magnet broadband, and was wondering on the best approach to setting up my LAN. Can I just connect my existing Linksys WRT router to the Telsey via Telsey LAN port to WRT WAN port and have the WRT assign local 192.168.xx.xx addresses to my various devices via ethernet or Wifi as I have usually done, or does the Telsey's being in bridge mode have any strange effects?

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    To hijack the thread- I am in the process of getting Magnet broadband, and was wondering on the best approach to setting up my LAN. Can I just connect my existing Linksys WRT router to the Telsey via Telsey LAN port to WRT WAN port and have the WRT assign local 192.168.xx.xx addresses to my various devices via ethernet or Wifi as I have usually done, or does the Telsey's being in bridge mode have any strange effects?

You can either...

a) Wire your devices to Telsey and use Telsey wireless. All devices would receive Public IPs.

b) Wire your Telsey to the Linksys Wan and connect your devices to the Linksys. Your devices will receive local IPs.

That's the limit of my network knowledge :D

Thanks for the help - router worked perfectly - had it all set up in less than 5 minutes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Sorry for jumping on this but I posted my problem in an older thread and am not getting much replies.
    I reckon this thread know what they are talking about :)

I bought a tenda wireless N adsl2 modem/router to replace my telesey (via Magnet)
    I was told by someone on here that I simply plug in the tenda, make sure its in bridged mode, enter 0 and 35 for the vci and vpi (something like that) and it should work.
    I have done all that and the router is not getting an IP.
    Any ideas folks?
    This is driving me mad.
    Thanks
    Sham.

I have posted some screens in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68345013

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Just caught up to quite a few cases this morning. If anyone is still awaiting a response or have not been told when they will get a callback please PM me.

Advertisement