Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buckled Wheel

• 29-09-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Came back to my bike today to find the wheel buckled.Its bad but not totally trashed bad, i was able to cycle home but it was pushin on the brakes pretty heavy (about 10mms id say).dunno if thats helpful , does buckled mean useless no matter how bad ?

what to do next? is there a quick fix way of sorting this? or am i gonna have to shell out for a new (how much? i wouldn be lookin for anythin pro like i just use the bike for commutin and excercise and travelin round a bit)?

Any info much appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bad luck. Vandalised?

If it isn't too badly buckeled, you might be able to re-true it, but unless you know how to do it yourself, you'll have to pay a bikeshop to do it.

Is it a cheap wheel? I mean, was the bike worth more than about €800 new? If not, it might be easier just to buy a new wheel. My last bike -- and my three bikes before that -- all took a screw-on freewheel, and if I remember correctly, a new back wheel was about €30 -- provided you transferred the freewheel, tubes and tyres to the new wheel.

If the bike was pricey and had good wheels, it might be worth rebuilding the wheel, but it sounds from what you say that they're not especially good wheels.

It might be worth asking your local bikeshop what they think. Or posting a picture or two here, showing how bad the buckle is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

buy a spoke key/wrench. should cost around 5 euro. If the rim itself isnt damaged you should be able to fix the buckle easily. there are plenty of guides online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

buy a spoke key/wrench. should cost around 5 euro. If the rim itself isnt damaged you should be able to fix the buckle easily. there are plenty of guides online.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Bad luck. Vandalised?

If it isn't too badly buckeled, you might be able to re-true it, but unless you know how to do it yourself, you'll have to pay a bikeshop to do it.

Is it a cheap wheel? I mean, was the bike worth more than about €800 new? If not, it might be easier just to buy a new wheel. My last bike -- and my three bikes before that -- all took a screw-on freewheel, and if I remember correctly, a new back wheel was about €30 -- provided you transferred the freewheel, tubes and tyres to the new wheel.

If the bike was pricey and had good wheels, it might be worth rebuilding the wheel, but it sounds from what you say that they're not especially good wheels.

It might be worth asking your local bikeshop what they think. Or posting a picture or two here, showing how bad the buckle is.

Im sure what it was, the spokes tyre and tube are all fine just the rim is out of shape, was thinkin of postin a pic put its not very viewable unless you cycle it,

the bike cost just over half of that tomasrojo, as the tyre and tube are ok hopefully a new wheel wont be too expensive, its the front wheel by the way......Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Front wheels are cheaper. But if you have time and mechanically inclined, have a go at truing it, as kumate_champ07 suggests. You've nothing to lose, I suppose!

Thanks lads and lassies, on closer inspection it looks like the rim broke from roughness maybe, not vandalised anyways, mustve been a pretty cheap make,as far as i could tell it was being held in place by the tyre/tube, so went and got another on the cheap to keep me going.

I use the bike for getting round town and some times for some offroad/woodland trails (nothing to extreme) just wondering could people recommend some good build rims and give some idea of what sort of price decent ones go for (will probably buy front and back).

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Billewilliam

Hi, sorry to hijack Thread

Does anyone roughly know price of Truing service?

Can you recommend Bike Shop?

Alex Rim G6000 Double Wall 622 * 17 (606 1H-T6)
    Giant City GRS Town bike

Very slight buckle hardly noticeable

I see Halfords do offer this service

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=17151&categoryId=245434&articleId=759513&printable=true

So far as I can make out the size 622 * 17 = 700c

So this could be cheap alternative.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_233383_langId_-1_categoryId_212630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

If the buckle is hardly noticeable, then it can probably be trued and you won't need a replacement.

If you're Dublin based, the folks in Rothar are a decent bunch and will do the job for you at a reasonable rate:

http://www.rothar.ie/Contact_Us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 READYBREK

you could do what I recently did and true it yourself using the break pads as a guide. It wont be perfect but definatley cycleable(word?).

Get spoke wrench- some multitools have little square edges cut out from other bigger tools that can be used for this.

If you dont have stand, turn the bike upside down.

Tighten breaks and make sure they are centered.

Spin the wheel slowly

when it rubs off the pad- tighten the spoke on the opposite side(drive side) and loosen the spoke on the nearest side. If it rubs on drive side, loosen that side and tighten the opposite. Little half turns- trial and error and that should sort it.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hi
    Got a buckle sorted in wheelworx fonthill last week for the princly sum of 10
    euro and a phone call to say it was ready the same evening I dropped it off alto not due to be ready till the next evening.
    Top class service.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

READYBREK wrote: »
    you could do what I recently did and true it yourself using the break pads as a guide. It wont be perfect but definatley cycleable(word?).

Get spoke wrench- some multitools have little square edges cut out from other bigger tools that can be used for this.

If you dont have stand, turn the bike upside down.

Tighten breaks and make sure they are centered.

Spin the wheel slowly

when it rubs off the pad- tighten the spoke on the opposite side(drive side) and loosen the spoke on the nearest side. If it rubs on drive side, loosen that side and tighten the opposite. Little half turns- trial and error and that should sort it.

Hope this helps

I add a stick of chalk to the toolset.

Affix it so you can see where to tighten, & loosen.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    Hi
    Got a buckle sorted in wheelworx fonthill last week for the princly sum of 10
    euro and a phone call to say it was ready the same evening I dropped it off alto not due to be ready till the next evening.
    Top class service.

Sounds like good service alright, My rim was Alex Rims aswell (coincidence?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Billewilliam

Wow thanks a million for so much positive feedback.

I have a few Rothar's I have been trying to get rid off and that sounds like a plan
    Thanks for the link.

I also tried truing on my own with bicycle upside down marking with marker.
    Unfortunately thats as far as I got. Kinda lost confidence and didn’t want to **** up a good rim altogether.

Although I might give it another go now I know which exact one to tighten.

“tighten the spoke on the opposite side(drive side) and loosen the spoke on the nearest side”

For 10 Euro you can’t go wrong that sounds like a great service.

Cheer’s again.

Advertisement