Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary bills and social welfare

Options
  • 29-09-2010 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

My dog has been hit by a car and needs urgent surgery, I am unemployed but on a medical card so am wondering if I can claim anything through that, can't afford to help her otherwise...? I really appreciate any answers asap! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

you could try the blue cross
    http://www.bluecross.ie/
    social welfare is for humans, so no chance of getting help there, but the blue cross would be your best bet.

I know pet insurance seems an extra cost initially,but at times like this it proves its own worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Yep blue cross is the best option on low incomes

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

go to the blue cross and bring proof that you are unemployed and they will sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

They only operate in Dublin though.

how bad is the dog and have you gone to the vet yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MLE2008

Yes, brought her to the vet straight away when we found her about 2 hours ago. He phoned to let us know she needs the surgery to help her and we told him to go ahead but are now worried about how to pay the bill, he'll give us plenty of time but it's a lot of money.

MLE2008 wrote: »
    Yes, brought her to the vet straight away when we found her about 2 hours ago. He phoned to let us know she needs the surgery to help her and we told him to go ahead but are now worried about how to pay the bill, he'll give us plenty of time but it's a lot of money.
    how much is it do you mind me asking ? and would the vet let you pay it in instalments.make sure you get pet insurance after this aswell as it will save you a fortune when this kind of thing happens there is a thread here on pet insurance prices and breakdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your only option is really to sort it out with the vet to pay in installments, some vets are great for this while others are not. Explain your financial situation and hopefully you can break it down and make it easier to manage. Hope it works out for you.

Social Welfare or the medical card will not cover this.

Advertisement