Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Pursuits Photos.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That was us, yes!

We went up through the forest to the stile over the fence where it says Hubbert's Hollow, skirted around to the west of Barnacullian to the summit of Mullaghcleevaun, down to Fall Brook and along it to the top of the waterfall, along the edge of Barnacullian to where the really mucky stuff ends and back down to Hubbert's Hollow. From there back through the forest for a bit, popped through a firebreak outy on to open ground and down along the edge of the forest to the road where you probably had your car. Then back to Annalecka Br. via St. Kevin's Way. We have a variant that takes in Stoney Top and Tonelagee on the way back but that's for when there's more daylight.

A frozen Lough Firrib from yesterday ... The ice was a good 3-4cm thick right at the edge, and covered in ripples. It wasn't until we got right up to it that we realised it was frozen!

9tg3fk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Alun wrote: »
    A frozen Lough Firrib from yesterday ... The ice was a good 3-4cm thick right at the edge, and covered in ripples. It wasn't until we got right up to it that we realised it was frozen!

9tg3fk.jpg

Where is Lough Firrib? Never heard the name before.

Where is Lough Firrib? Never heard the name before.
    About 1.5km west of Turlough Hill.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0296868,-6.4362307,663m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

9tg3fk.jpg

I was there on Sunday... you guys definitely got better weather!!!

buwpYchh.jpg

LcUDKl2h.jpg

• Advertisement

I was there on Sunday... you guys definitely got better weather!!!
    Yes, we were amazed .. just before we got to Lough Firrib we could see 3 Lakes and Art's Cross as clear as day, gorgeous day. Some lovely light at the end of the day on Tonelagee as we were coming down off Camaderry through the old mine workings as well.

e0kbye.jpg

Yes, we were amazed .. just before we got to Lough Firrib we could see 3 Lakes and Art's Cross as clear as day, gorgeous day. Some lovely light at the end of the day on Tonelagee as we were coming down off Camaderry through the old mine workings as well.

The light at this time of year makes for great pics. We were doing the County Tops last year and Mweelrea was the second last one to do. Bagged it on the 6th December and the pictures from there were gorgeous

zHGvGo9.jpg

One of the pics i mentioned in the last post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Taken on my phone so the quality is quite poor and my battery died, but these are from the south side of the upper lake in Glendalough which is a perspective not usually seen.

Taken from Temple Na Skellig
    My battery died before I could take a picture of the church.

403979.jpg

Taken from below St Kevins Bed
    403978.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What a glorious day it was. Coming down off Djouce on the railway sleepers after a very long hike. Took this picture of the sunset with in the background Turlough Hill, in between Lug and Tonelagee

404186.jpg

Made it back to the car at about dusk. Was never as glad to see my car was still there :p

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    What a glorious day it was. Coming down off Djouce on the railway sleepers after a very long hike. Took this picture of the sunset with in the background Turlough Hill, in between Lug and Tonelagee

Made it back to the car at about dusk. Was never as glad to see my car was still there :p
    Hope you didn't trip and hurt your knee :D

Was thinking of that while stepping over a few of the holes in them. Decided I'd better not fall, as I can't afford missing work and there is no chance in hell I would go and claim off the Irish National Parks and Wildlife Service (had to look that up) :D

Forgot to share these "the tombstone" down from Djouce towards Warhill

404187.jpg

My 8 year old just said: that's not a tombstone, that's a frog :D

And Lough Tay at the start of my hike. The water so still it's a perfect mirror

404188.jpg

in between Lug and Tonelagee

And of course Mullaghcleevaun at the very right! The 3 highest mountains in Wicklow in the one pic. Only realised that now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I sometimes forget how lucky we are with the landscape we have here.

Indeed and at least you appreciate it! There are 2 million people in this country living within an hours drive of the beauty and serenity that is the Wicklow Mountains. Yet only 200 or maybe 2000 at most seem to appreciate it and go out on a Saturday morning or Sunday morning for a hike.

99.9 percent of people do not appreciate the landscape we have...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Lugnaquilla yesterday, fab day to be up there

Pic number 2 of lug

Your pics are tiny, blacklilly. Something must have gone wrong!

Sorry, not sure what has happened. Will try rectify it later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

not tiny. just far away ;)

Walked straight through a herd of about 50 deer coming off Lugduff towards the river. They didn't seem to mind much but the boss was weary :D

407019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Antarctica - Christmas '16
    407071.png

Mweelrea on Saturday, beautiful day for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

407708.jpg

Where is that unkel?

Did you check the name of the attachment? :)

Art's Cross. On the main ridge between the Wicklow Gap and Lugnaquilla. It's in memory of Art O'Neill who escaped Dublin Castle about 400 years ago on a cold January day and fled into the mountains. He didn't make it, but it was the only successful escape ever out of Dublin Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd like to test myself at the Art O'Neill Challenge.

I've read that it is fairly tough.

You can say that again. It's a night walk too, so a lot of it is in darkness and you need to navigate. This years one was held two weeks ago today. The only alleviating factor is that it is not a mountain walk, in that you don't go near any summits (unlike the Lug walk, a summit / ridge walk that I hope to do at some point myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

At Night.. Interesting but probably a bit too dangerous for me.

I done Lugnaquilla a couple of years ago, It wasn't that bad at all.

Nice clear day during the summer but the terrain was still very wet. I started from Glenmalure lodge and followed a stream up past an old building, I think it might of been a hostel at one point.

All in I done it in about four hours, that was after taking a more direct route back to the car.

Advertisement