Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houmous Variations suggestions

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all

I would normally make my own variations of Houmous depending on what I had in the fridge/press - roasted peppers, chilli, garlic, lemon whatever I can lay my hands on!!

So tonight I am up in my parents and Da popped to Lidl and I asked him to grab one and he got the lemon and coriander one and I have to say it is vile - am gonna play around with it tomorrow and see can I get it tasting anyway right.

So what flavours of houmous do you make - please include recipes if available

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I've never made it with anything else.........but chickpeas, but I've heard of people making it with Kidney Beans etc.
    Worth a try?
    Saw some guy on "Come Dine With Me" making it with 100% chickpeas, doesn't work!
    ie. no Tahina!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lidl's houmous isn't great, and they've only got the lemon and coriander or plain stuff.

I haven't made any myself yet, but bought some Tahini recently, so I might give it a try on the weekend.
    Can anyone suggest any stunning recipes, before I start browsing recipe pages? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I usually skip the tahini tbh...
    Just stick the tin of chickpeas in the food processor with lots of really good olive oil, lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley. bit o' salt and pepper and away I go.
    Its probably not 'real' hummous, but I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I find it much better with tahini, though I've often made it without. It's much richer with it. I make hummus maybe once or twice a week (use it all the time!) and this is my basic, fail-safe recipe:

2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 tins)
    2 tbsp tahini
    2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
    5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2-3 tbsp water
    half a lemon's worth of lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste

I just whizz all of that with a blender. It should keep for a week or more in a container in the fridge.

As for variations, sweet chilli is lovely! I find mixing 1tbsp chilli flakes, 1 tbsp white wine vinegar and 1tbsp golden syrup or agave, letting it sit overnight then blending it in with the above recipe works really well.

Chopped olives mixed through it are nice too.

And roast garlic! A whole bulb :p It's delicious.

Or maybe a spiced moroccan version with garam masala and cumin and maybe some honey or agave...

Hummus is great. I'm a hummus fiend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

ooh thanks liking the moroccan idea - will try that at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I always lash in come cumin. I think Hummus is massively versatile though and you could literally throw in whatever you want, any flavour you like/think would work well.

Mmm, must make some tomorrow!

Advertisement