Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tooth decay in a 3-year-old

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I noticed small decay in my daughter's front tooth a week or so ago. Since then I adjusted some of our dietary habits to minimaze the tooth damage in the future. I rang an HSE funded pediatric dentist who said that by sticking to good practice I can maintain the tooth decay at this stage and it won't progress any further. She advised against getting a filling at such young age. However, I asked many people for opinions, found a few private paedodontists in Dublin via internet and they seem to take quite opposite view - fillings are necessary even at such young age. I would prefer to get a filling for her, I'm just concerned about the possible cost of it if I do it in a private practice.

Will be grateful for any advice/shared experience of early stage tooth decay in such young kids.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'm not a dentist or qualified in any way here, but my gut tells me that fillings for a 3 yr old seem a bit over the top. Why fill a tooth they're going to lose within a few years?

Obviously, as you've already done, changing dietary habits are the best way forward & the cheapest way of tooth care in the future ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I agree with the previous poster, these teeth will be falling out in just a few years. Unless the tooth is causing the child considerable pain I think it would be best managed rather than filled.

There is also evidence to show that mercury amalgam fillings (the black ones) can cause other health problems, especially after long-term exposure, so it is best to avoid them if at all possible, or at least for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My daughter was 2 (i was breast feeding) and i noticed tooth decay, so i took her to the dentist who had a hard job looking at her teeth so snapped at me to bring her back when she was 4.

1 year later she said her gum was sore ( it was just before xmas) and i took her to the dentist and they weren't sure what it was but have her antibiotics (in case it was an abscess) they also called her back two weeks later for a review because at this point the tooth decay had spread to 8 teeth. (was brushing regularly etc).

when i went back she was referred to the local hospital to have all 8 teeth removed under G.A.

after this was done they forgot about her, i phoned and called etc and then at 6 she complained of tooth ache took her back to dentist and they said a further 2 teeth had to be pulled - they did it there and then.

they kept 3 decayed teeth 2 of which were her canines and if they were removed her teeth would have grown in crooked, so they filled her canines with white fillings, needless to say she was called fangs, vampire and dracula at school.

she had inherited week tooth enamel which meant that her teeth were going to decay whatever we did. she is now 11 most of her adult teeth are through and some of the teeth have chalky enamel but are doing ok she has had 1 filing on her adult teeth and most of her teeth have been coated to give better protection, she has to have a check up every 6 months she has done since she was 6 and should have done since she was 2. Even eating apples and oranges (fruit) cause/contribute to tooth decay because of the acid in them. If she eats fruit she has to eat it with her meal and not on its own, also at 7 she was diagnosed type 1 diabetic and has to eat sugar when she has low blood sugars so were in a no win situation. teeth or a coma!

just to point out that her grandad has all his teeth removed at 12 her uncle had chronic tooth decay only in his first set of teeth and her cousin has chronic tooth decay in both baby teeth and adult teeth.

my cousin has no enamel what so ever on his teeth and had his first set of dentures at the age of 3 he has to get a new set every year, as soon as his adult teeth come in they decay and are removed.

so my advice don't phone the dentist go see one(there should be more than 1 dentist in the hse clinic), so all teeth can be checked and more advice given.

*my 2 boys aged 3 (nearly 4) and 5 have no tooth decay whatsoever, and are checked each time my lady goes in.

best of luck

my ladys teeth at age 4 and 3/4

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=7495

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

You should at least bring your child to a dentist to see how big the cavity is . Advice over the phone is not ideal . Squiggler there is absolutely no evidence to say that amalgam fillings can cause health problems although their use is now becoming less and less anyway.

• Advertisement

jimmyging wrote: »
    You should at least bring your child to a dentist to see how big the cavity is . Advice over the phone is not ideal . .

Agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I agree, go to the dentist, my eldest doesnt have great teeth, weak teeth in our family too but not as drastic as grindle, I hope your little one is ok grindle.

3 is young but if the child has dental problems she needs to visit the dentist. My youngest was brought at 5 due to ache only then did I realise she had 2 dead teeth, her front teeth. In the 3 yrs since then she has had around 6 fillings, thankfully she has only had one of the dead teeth removed but had we not been in regular contact with the dentist then it could be worse, there was decay on teeth without pain. She has also suffered some serious absyss on her gums.

The first dentist I visited was private, I was told the hse most likely would not fill so I paid circa 80 euro for a filling, the next time there was pain and I could not afford the private dentist I went to the hse dentist who was more than happy to fill, echoing what was said, if teeth were removed to early the ones above could grow crooked. The hse dentist will not cost you any money, most work emergency sppointments from 9 am to 10 am when you can just turn up and be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Apparently if the baby teeth get messed up they affect the adult teeth underneath, get it checked to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

Try asking over on the dental issues board, they might be able to help
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=627

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SineadMaria

I noticed small decay in my daughter's front tooth a week or so ago. Since then I adjusted some of our dietary habits to minimaze the tooth damage in the future. I rang an HSE funded pediatric dentist who said that by sticking to good practice I can maintain the tooth decay at this stage and it won't progress any further. She advised against getting a filling at such young age. However, I asked many people for opinions, found a few private paedodontists in Dublin via internet and they seem to take quite opposite view - fillings are necessary even at such young age. I would prefer to get a filling for her, I'm just concerned about the possible cost of it if I do it in a private practice.

Will be grateful for any advice/shared experience of early stage tooth decay in such young kids.

Thanks!

bring her back to the dentist, as some other posters have said, if a decayed tooth is left untreated the surrounding teeth will start to decay and if these are left untreated they will affect her adult teeth with the possibility of her adult teeth being decayed as they grow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I know someone whos son had the same problem.
    It is not a big deal,bring to dentist and they will take care of it :)
    He has bright healthy teeth now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Son developed tooth decay on back tooth. very distressing for him and us. Didn't get a filling but a light filler which has helped a lot. So far so good 2 year later. Hoping it will be alright for another 3-4 years. Believe its best for them to keep baby teeth as long as possible to avoid gum problems, crooked teeth later.
    So would advise against it. If you are in Dublin, portobello dental surgery are good to get specific advise about your child's particular problem. About €60 or less for consultation like that i think, you can ask before going in.
    Damn apple juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

My son had fillings on two teeth at the age of 15 months. We noticed a problem around the 12 month mark. We took him to a pediatric dentist who recommended fillings because he would eventually lose the teeth early, the decay would spread to other teeth no matter what habits you changed and he could end up with gum problems with his adult teeth.

He had it done under GA and living in the US with no dental insurance you wouldn't even believe me if I told you how much it cost. You don't have to have the mercury ones anymore either as their are safe alternative. It was very difficult at the time but it was the right thing to do. Now he is 8 and his teeth are fine. He and his sister who is 4 get their teeth cleaned every 6 months by the dental hygienist. I pay for it all out of pocket and it's money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 devlin

My 3yr old gdaughter has 1 front tooth which has begun to loose its whiteness and is darkening. It is not loose and she has no pain. I have looked it up on the web and there are differing opinions from medical sites as to what to do. I'm confused!! Anybody with personal experience of this in a child?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

devlin wrote: »
    My 3yr old gdaughter has 1 front tooth which has begun to loose its whiteness and is darkening. It is not loose and she has no pain. I have looked it up on the web and there are differing opinions from medical sites as to what to do. I'm confused!! Anybody with personal experience of this in a child?? :confused:

Bring her to the dentist.

We cannot give medical advice here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement