Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork (Airport area), any help?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Working by Cork Airport business park.

Firstly, thanks for any advice. I've given advice for Limerick, Galway, Belfast and Dublin on boards.
    Now moving to Cork, my lap of Ireland is complete :pac:

I'm happy for a houseshare, and I can cycle to work, within 10km is cool but 5km better still.
    My student days are behind me, €400 for a double room is all I need. Can up to €500 if needed.

But not a clue on good areas in Cork, any advice?
    I'd help ye with any other cities but I'm clueless with Cork

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm in quite a similar position to the poster above. Soon to start working on the Pouladuff Rd. Hoping to grab somewhere within a reasonable walk/cycle or grab the bus.

I'd be happy to either cycle or perhaps take the number 14 bus as I hear it runs alongside Pouladuff. Is this a reliable bus service or am I better to get cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm in quite a similar position to the poster above.

Quit hijacking the thread :mad:

Ok, hope we both get sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Frankfield is quiet enough if I remember correctly, and very close to the airport! You would get most places for under 350 in a house share there too!

If you are paying 400 for a double room only anywhere in Cork, I would think you are paying too much in the current economic climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be aware of airport noise and the fact that the airport is on a hill (not huge, but not small either).

Kinsale Road (N27) is the main access route, be aware that the other roads in the area may be under-sized and over-trafficed. Express and rural buses serve the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You could definetly get a house share (Frankfield)for 300/350 within 5km of the Airport - but as Victor said, beware of the hill. This hill will punish you on the way to work each morning in the winter - there is a back road you can take to the airport but it would be a bit dodgy on dark mornings on a bike, its more of a country road. I would consider getting yourself a scooter maybe.

Things look brighter for Hardybuck - easy again to get accomadation nearby plus the cycle is a lot easier. You have your choice of area's really. Pouladuff road is a long one though - go on to Google maps and find where you are working and come back here and we can advise on an area.

• Advertisement

I'd be happy to either cycle or perhaps take the number 14 bus as I hear it runs alongside Pouladuff. Is this a reliable bus service or am I better to get cycling?

The number 14 goes from Wilton to town passing by The Lough and going down Togher, so as you have been told it would be alongside Pauladuff Road, as the crow flies. However the 14 stops 3 times along the Lough and another 3 or 4 times in Togher. The stops would all be within 5 mins or so of a part of Pauladuff Road. The number 3 I think (Ballyphehane to Mayfield via town) travels along Lower Pauladuff Road, no bus travels upper Pauladuff Road as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Personally if I was working there (infact I have :p) I'd defo live in Grange (which I did!), cooneys lane brings you right up to the airport, never any traffic as it's off the beaten track, I used to leave 5 minutes before I needed to be in and always made it (driving) :D

However if you are cycling/walking then with the winter coming, lack of light may be a concern. Cooneys lane is a country road, loads and loads of people walk it everyday though, popular with dog walkers and walkers alike, so Drivers should be aware of that fact, however if you're walking early in the morning or late at night it'll be fairly dark so up to you!

Here's the exact route on google maps from the bottom of cooneys lane. I also wouldn't believe googles walking estimate of an hour :) but who knows!
    Map
    It's 5 kilometers, but note it is ALL uphill, steepish too so it could be quite tough :D you'd certainly be fit and coming home would be a doddle ;)
    Used to cycle up there and back in my teens with my friends, good craic, don't remember finding it too difficult but we were young :) coming home was brill though, freewheel all the way, felt like you'd be home in 5 mins!! But we never went down cooneys lane in the dark, we had no bicycle lights and it would have been too dangerous.

I know of double rooms going in Ardfield (parks by bottom of cooneys lane) for 300 euro, infact I know one that recently got rented for less than that! For example these a few here, http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=600864and http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=600153, plently more too on Daft.

Edit: Also forgot to note, Aldi & Supervalue are in Grange, close to ardfield, less than 1 Km, douglas is also nearby, about 2-3 km.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The number 14 goes from Wilton to town passing by The Lough and going down Togher, so as you have been told it would be alongside Pauladuff Road, as the crow flies. However the 14 stops 3 times along the Lough and another 3 or 4 times in Togher. The stops would all be within 5 mins or so of a part of Pauladuff Road. The number 3 I think (Ballyphehane to Mayfield via town) travels along Lower Pauladuff Road, no bus travels upper Pauladuff Road as far as I know.
    The twice-a-day number 9 does.

However, none of these buses take you anywhere near the airport.

Victor wrote: »
    The twice-a-day number 9 does.

However, none of these buses take you anywhere near the airport.

This chap doesn't need to go to the airport ;)
    I'm in quite a similar position to the poster above. Soon to start working on the Pouladuff Rd. Hoping to grab somewhere within a reasonable walk/cycle or grab the bus.

Ah, I didn't realise there had been a thread-jacking.

• Advertisement

Yeah shameless thread-jacking on my part. Thanks for the advice though. Cork could do with some extra investment in the public transport infastructure, but sure we won't be needing to worry about that for a while with the way the country is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Yeah shameless thread-jacking on my part. Thanks for the advice though. Cork could do with some extra investment in the public transport infastructure, but sure we won't be needing to worry about that for a while with the way the country is going.

First you hijack this thread, then you have the cheek of criticizing our mighty public transport infrastructure!! :eek: You are not the right kind of stuff we are looking for in Cork after all. Maybe Cork isnt for you:D:D.

murphym7 wrote: »
    First you hijack this thread, then you have the cheek of criticizing our mighty public transport infrastructure!! :eek: You are not the right kind of stuff we are looking for in Cork after all. Maybe Cork isnt for you:D:D.

Jeez, I've never seen that before-a Cork person going on the defensive;).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

If you are looking for a quieter place to stay...Ballygarvan would be nice, 4.35km from the airport, however it is also a back road to the airport so safety and lighting could be a problem in the winter!

Advertisement