Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T80 SI

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Have a problem with the above shower, due to a slightly undertightened connection in the terminal block the live wires over heated and melted half the block and 'softened' the casing opposite it. If I replace the terminal block and cut off the bits of the 'in' and 'out' live wire that have no insulation and reconnect to the new block should the shower be 'good to go' again or do I need to replace the entire unit..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Have a problem with the above shower, due to a slightly undertightened connection in the terminal block the live wires over heated and melted half the block and 'softened' the casing opposite it. If I replace the terminal block and cut off the bits of the 'in' and 'out' live wire that have no insulation and reconnect to the new block should the shower be 'good to go' again or do I need to replace the entire unit..?

No problem. As long as you think you are competent enough. (no insult intended).
    Just ensure the the terminal block is of sufficient rating. ie. potentally 40Amps could be passing across terminal.
    This is no different than replacing a faulty shower switch.
    The terminal connection often come loss due to vibration and heating/ contraction of the cable.

The burning could be caused by a faulty component drawing too much current but I would normally expect the fuse to trip, so it seems purely a loose wire issue. Give it a try, spending couple of euro's may save you a couple of hundred.

But if in doubt call an electrician.. not necessarily a plumber.

Advertisement