Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kobe Beef in Ireland?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Been looking for ages to try it. Anyone had some in Ireland-in restaurants or butchers? And what kind of price range am I looking at?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pallas foods sell it. They *might* be willing to sell you some. It's fierce expensive though, around €109 per kg, it's Texan, grass fed, organic, they sell fillet only, frozen and cut to order. They might have a min order too. Baring in mind that the last time I looked at a Pallas catalog (is that the right word?) was almost two years ago, they might not sell it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If its texan, then is it really Kobe beef?
    I was under the impression that to be Kobe it had to be japanese Wagyu beef from the kobe region.
    Everything else is Wagyu beef, which is still amazing quality of course.

I know its just semantics, but i'f i'm paying 100+ a kilo, i'd prob get for the 1005 legit stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Dont' know about getting the real deal, but I read an article in the Times about some butcher in clonmel (delivers all over Ireland), who has been breeding a wagyu/angus cross. It peaked my interest anyway. Here's the linky, haven't followed through on it myself though yet..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2010/0911/1224278389838.html

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

There's a butchers in Terenure that sell kobe beef. It's not fresh though- comes frozen, and at a hefty price! They have kobe steaks and kobe beef burgers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mellor wrote: »
    If its texan, then is it really Kobe beef?
    I was under the impression that to be Kobe it had to be japanese Wagyu beef from the kobe region.
    Everything else is Wagyu beef, which is still amazing quality of course.

I know its just semantics, but i'f i'm paying 100+ a kilo, i'd prob get for the 1005 legit stuff.

you're right.
    It's Wagyu beef from Tajima-ushi cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Cheers for the replies. Probably something that doesn't travel well-not too keen on my first try of kobe beef being defrosted! Might just have to fly to Japan afterall...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

was looking at getting into wagyu cattle now myself for a while , does anyone know where the outlet is for selling them or where do you go with your cattle when they are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Butcher opposite the church in Glasthule does it too. expensive and frozen. Not a good combo...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

James Whelan Butchers have their own Waygu herd. I had a couple of their striplions the other day and they were beyond amazing. Nutty, buttery, delicious.

They also deliver to your door

Advertisement