Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest President of Ireland (as per the constitution to save confusion)

• 30-09-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Edit: edited thread title as I got nominations for every two bit organization in Ireland. Who would have thought greatest President of Ireland and a complete list would have been confusing :confused:

Poll to follow in a minute

So vote and explain if you wish.

Listen, if you're going to jump in and say it's irrelevant or the President is a waste of money then hey, stroll over to Politics forum or even start your own thread :)

Just vote, add your reason or ignore. All are fine.

Ireland's greatest President 35 votes

Douglas Hyde 1938-1945
    0% 0 votes
    Seán T O'Kelly 1945-1959
    5% 2 votes
    Éamonn De Valera 1959-1973
    5% 2 votes
    Erskine H. Childers 1973-1974
    11% 4 votes
    Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh 1974-1976
    2% 1 vote
    Patrick Hillary 1976-1990
    2% 1 vote
    Mary Robinson 1990-1997
    14% 5 votes
    Mary McAleese 1997- Present day
    57% 20 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Irelands greatest President?

Hang on - I haven't even got the job yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Biggins wrote: »
    Irelands greatest President?

Hang on - I haven't even got the job yet!

We can share it, i need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

OP Where you around at the time of Patrick Hillary? You will have to make a better case then he did a lot of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Ahern

no one f*cked a nation like ahern in the history of democracy - he deserves some sort of award surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'll go Douglas Hide the first president

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I've only been around long enough to know two of em...

galwayrush wrote: »
    We can share it, i need the money.
    Indeed, according to your hole in the wall anyway! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

sligopark wrote: »
    Ahern

no one f*cked a nation like ahern in the history of democracy - he deserves some sort of award surely

When was he President?

I must have missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OPENROAD wrote: »
    OP Where you around at the time of Patrick Hillary? You will have to make a better case then he did a lot of work

A fair point.
    I shall add a better explanation on my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

David Norris. What he did after the invasion was truly the mark of a great leader.

Wait, what year is this?

Damn! I've said too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

How do you measure greatness in an Irish president? Their irrelevance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

bruton. where's bruton??

john bruton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm running in the next election.
    Vote for me.
    I'm not joking.

Terry already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

You left out GAA president Christy Cooney.
    And the president of Anglo Irish Bank Sean Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Terry wrote: »
    I'm running in the next election.
    Vote for me.
    I'm not joking.

You've to be nominated by 4 local councils or 20 TD's though. Stupid requirement really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

When was he President?

I must have missed that.

LOL :D

Thanks Starbelgrade :D

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    David Norris. What he did after the invasion was truly the mark of a great leader.

anal invasion? ;)

sdonn wrote: »
    You've to be nominated by 4 local councils or 20 TD's though. Stupid requirement really.

How did Dustin manage that when he ran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stupid indeed. Because what we really need is Dustin on the actual ballot.

You need a system to keep the crazies out.Could you imgine the listof choices on the page if anyone could add their name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Ah I remember 2004 well, I was a bright eyed bushy tailed young lad relishing the chance that this was the year when I would first avail of my right to vote. Fresh to the world, I was also naive and believed that we lived in a democratic country where our head of state is elected by the people!

A few months later my aspirations to vote and my confidence in the system collapsed. The damn bastards decided that we would have a non-contested presidential election and just kept Ol' Mary going in the office. I am still annoyed that this was allowed happen and even more annoyed that the media decided not to care either. Sure the position is nothing more than ceremonial but it is still a position that the people should have the right to vote on, not some back room dealing in the Dáil that decides it.
    Its quite embarrassing really, we rotate our Lord Mayors between parties (in Cork at least) and we have non-contested Presidential elections.

P.S. Before someone says I should have ran, I would need to be 35 or over to be eligible.

• Advertisement

knird evol wrote: »
    You left out GAA president Christy Cooney.
    And the president of Anglo Irish Bank Sean Fitzpatrick

Thread is titled Irelands greatest President.
    Swop it around to greatest President of Ireland

Start your own thread in Investments & Markets forum or GAA forum

D-Generate wrote: »
    A few months later my aspirations to vote and my confidence in the system collapsed. The damn bastards decided that we would have a non-contested presidential election and just kept Ol' Mary going in the office. I am still annoyed that this was allowed happen and even more annoyed that the media decided not to care either.

Dana failed to get nominated.
    The same Dana who decided at the last minute to run in an election for Galway West.
    Asked to name five estates in Knocknacarra, Galway, a massive area in west Galway city with thousands and thousands of residents.
    **** it, she could not even name five estates and she wants to represent these people?

Lost all credibility, no wonder no council would nominate her in 2004 for President

Dana failed to get nominated.
    The same Dana who decided at the last minute to run in an election for Galway West.
    Asked to name five estates in Knocknacarra, Galway, a massive area in west Galway city with thousands and thousands of residents.
    **** it, she could not even name five estates and she wants to represent these people?

Lost all credibility, no wonder no council would nominate her in 2004 for President

But Dana knows all kinds of everything.

Thread is titled Irelands greatest President.
    Swop it around to greatest President of Ireland

Start your own thread in Investments & Markets forum or GAA forum

Well you yourself are lacking in some of the key qualities required for a presidential aspirant. Flexibility, diplomacy, imagination and being a woman.
    So you hardly in a position to split hairs and criticise my selections

I didn't like Hillary.
    Met the man in Dublin a few times. Never took to him.
    He always came across as cold, stiff and scary calculating.

here's to you mrs. Robinson, reciting the same rhetoric gurning like an idiot ur so fake :pac:

criticise my selections

Did your candidates run in 2004?

I can't control who ran before, I have only one vote same as you.
    Thread is on Ireland's greatest President, I cannot do anything about candidates in 2011.

Do you have a favourite President before 2011? Then pick a selection on the poll.
    Or.........start a thread on Ireland's next President :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

My old fella knew Hillery well and thought he was a bóllox.
    Case closed there, I'm afraid.

Biggins wrote: »
    I didn't like Hillary.
    Met the man in Dublin a few times. Never took to him.
    He always came across as cold, stiff and scary calculating.

In fairness to him, Biggins, he was dead at the time.

• Advertisement

Did your candidates run in 2004?

I can't control who ran before, I have only one vote same as you.
    Thread is on Ireland's greatest President, I cannot do anything about candidates in 2011.

Do you have a favourite President before 2011? Then pick a selection on the poll.
    Or.........start a thread on Ireland's next President :)

You are deliberately adopting a narrow definition of 'president' to be obstructive, these are my favourite presidents

In fairness to him, Biggins, he was dead at the time.
    LOL
    He might as well have been. He spoke very little.
    Last time I saw him was in a Dublin Art Gallery at a launch of a painters collection going on display.
    He was very grand shall we say...

You are deliberately adopting a narrow definition of 'president' to be obstructive, these are my favourite presidents

Christ knird evol do you even read the poll which was there for close to an hour before your last post?. If you're going to go that way then why not nominate the President of Ryanair or President of Apple Ireland.

Ok, I'll adjust the OP for you.

Thread is entitled Ireland's greatest President, start your own thread and watch the pedantic posts fly in

If you're going to go that way then why not nominate the President of Ryanair

Ok, ill vote for Michael O'Leary

Hillary's name is actually spelled Hillery.
    Yours,
    P. Dant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Mary Robinson, no doubt about it. Campaigned for issues like birth control and homosexuality when nobody else would go near them. Appointed UN commissioner for Human Rights and improved relations with Britain when relations were deeply strained.

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote: »
    Mary Robinson, no doubt about it. Campaigned for issues like birth control and homosexuality when nobody else would go near them. Appointed UN commissioner for Human Rights and improved relations with Britain when relations were deeply strained.
    Loads of people campaigned for birth control and gay rights. Some of these people even created organisations. OMG.
    How did she improve relations with britain and why were these relations strained?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Seems like a stupid requirement, but actually its sneaky clever as it ensures that the politicos maintain control of who gains access to the presidency. It means that anyone that rocks the boat too much or thinks too independently can be kept out, without the public having any direct say,as it stops very small political parties from ever having a presidential candidate or an independent from ever standing as a presidential candidate unless he/she has the support of one of the bigger political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Where's the Atari Jaguar option? All the presidents of this country are/were non-executive, they don't matter a jot. Dev should've been assassinated though. What a motherf*cking c*nt.

Confab wrote: »
    Where's the Atari Jaguar option?

It's a thread on Presidents of Ireland, away with your nerdish tradition rules.

Atari Jaguar was a computer games console and has no business on a poll on heads of state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Blisterman wrote: »

I dont like commenting on these polls but I have to on this one. Mary Robinson did more for human rights in this country than anyone I've seen as President. An amazing person who brought the plight of "battered" women,(ya thats the expression that was used..is it still?)to the fore.Not too long ago in this country it was ok to kick the life out of a woman!! Now I believe its called assult. And as you say the issue of homosexuality and basic bloody human rights!
    I had the pleasure of meeting her once and it was the biggest turning point of my life.
    If she could be heard,well so could I.

• Advertisement
Advertisement