Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship for Australia

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am trying to immigrate to oz with my wife and two kids, we are both over the age of 30, from what i can gather it takes 12-18 months for a skilled visa to come through which is just way too long, so my next option is to try and get sponsored by an employer which would take about 4-8 weeks, but my problem is finding an employer to sponsor me.
    Has anyone any ideas on how i can go about this or is it just a case of contacting employers until you find one, which i have been doing for the last few weeks.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Hi all,
    I am trying to immigrate to oz with my wife and two kids, we are both over the age of 30, from what i can gather it takes 12-18 months for a skilled visa to come through which is just way too long, so my next option is to try and get sponsored by an employer which would take about 4-8 weeks, but my problem is finding an employer to sponsor me.
    Has anyone any ideas on how i can go about this or is it just a case of contacting employers until you find one, which i have been doing for the last few weeks.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

What kind of work are you and your wife looking to do?

Obviously it depends on what you do for a living but it is incredibly hard to get sponsored when you are not even in the country. Employers are unlikely to take a risk and spend money on someone who isn’t even here when there are people in the country who could fill the role. You also would not be able to attend interviews. Unless you are looking to work in a job and have skills that are very much in demand over here you are going to find it very difficult (If not impossible) getting someone to sponsor you. Most people I know who are sponsored by companies have already worked for them on a WHV.

Do you know anyone over here working in companies that could recommend you to their bosses for sponsorship or employ you themselves?

It is also a very risky visa to be on if you have dependents as if you lose your job / quit you only have one month to find another company willing to employ and sponsor you before you have to leave the country.

Given your situation (kids and wife) I would suggest that although it will take some time the skilled migrant visa is the best way for you to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I tried getting sponsored in Brisbane while working in Sydney. I gave up after 6 weeks or so. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For maybe 90% of people, they spent probably the best part of 6 months with a company before they got sponsored. The boss will at least want some sort of trial period.

Skill (independant) is a much better option for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would concur with all the above.

Plus the waiting times for Skilled Visa's Vary ...12-18 could be shorter for the right skills.

Or longer for the wrong ones, I have heard stories of people still waiting from 08 Applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Thanks for the replys, it's looking like the skilled visa is my only real way out, the only thing with going this route I have to be assessed on my trade as I have no papers and according to visa first this is going to cost me 2750 euro on top of the visa costs.I wonder is there much of a demand for my trade, I am a dryliner, fibrous plasterer is what it's reconized as in oz, which basically is putting up celilngs and partitions, but what I would be hoping to do is to work on price or even a foreman role as I have all the experience.
    My wife has an uncle in oz but from what I gather I still need to go through all the rigmarole even if he sponsors us. I might think about heading out there on my own first for about 3 months to check things out and see if I can come up with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I got a WHV a few weeks ago with plans to move to Oz for a year around christmas, so I fired out my cv to recruitment agents to let them know I would
    be on the market around that time.

One came back to me to say that he had a job going NOW and would I be interested in doing a phone interview. Did the phone interview, the institution in question didn't like the fact that you can only work for one employer for a maximum of 6 months under a WHV so they said they would sponsor me instead...

Got job and sponsorship over a 50 minute phone call from the arse end of Ireland, moving to Sydney next Friday! :)

Its not impossible and I wouldn't consider myself highly skilled, I guess its just a question of talking to the right people at the right time but tis doable, keep the chin up!. :D

You can rename yourself dr feelgood ? What is your trade mate? Thats a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Zambia232 wrote: »
    You can rename yourself dr feelgood ? What is your trade mate? Thats a good result.

Is indeed Zambia, I'm delighted looking forward to it!. I work in IT with about 10 years exp, no degree, few industry certs.

Same thing happened to a mate though, hes in health and safety and he got sponsored from home - never even set foot in Oz. They even paid for his flights over!.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

That bodes well for my plans Feelgood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Feelgood can I ask what agencies you sent your CV to? I presume your mate send them to the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 JonnyCash10

Thanks for the replys, it's looking like the skilled visa is my only real way out, the only thing with going this route I have to be assessed on my trade as I have no papers and according to visa first this is going to cost me 2750 euro on top of the visa costs.I wonder is there much of a demand for my trade, I am a dryliner, fibrous plasterer is what it's reconized as in oz, which basically is putting up celilngs and partitions, but what I would be hoping to do is to work on price or even a foreman role as I have all the experience.
    My wife has an uncle in oz but from what I gather I still need to go through all the rigmarole even if he sponsors us. I might think about heading out there on my own first for about 3 months to check things out and see if I can come up with something.

Improver im in the exact same position as you minus the wife and kids mate,im a fibrous plasterer too with years of exp as foreman and checked with visa first they said i could do a trade assesment test in london for 3 grand!!No guarantees there either,have you filled out all the paperwork and done the assesment test mate?

Improver im in the exact same position as you minus the wife and kids mate,im a fibrous plasterer too with years of exp as foreman and checked with visa first they said i could do a trade assesment test in london for 3 grand!!No guarantees there either,have you filled out all the paperwork and done the assesment test mate?

No, have not done any assesment or any paperwork, visa first told me i would have to do an assessment to get reconized and it costs 2750 which is held in dublin, but this hole prosess takes 12-18 months, so i thinking of just heading out there around March next year on a 3month HV, and see if i can get an employer to sponsor me, it seems to be the best and cheapest way out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You still need a skills assessment for Employer Sponsored PR.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You still need a skills assessment for Employer Sponsored PR.
    Are you sure? according to visa first once you have a job offer with a sponsor, that will get you a sponsored visa.

Are you sure? according to visa first once you have a job offer with a sponsor, that will get you a sponsored visa.

Mate I have been sponsored for both 457 and then ENS PR, so I know what I am talking about.

You require a skills assessment for Employer Sponsored PR (ENS) for all occupations the same as any other Skilled migration.

Eligibility requirements (ENS 121 offshore)
    To be eligible for permanent residency under this visa, you must meet all of the following requirements at the time of lodging an application:

the nominated position must relate to an occupation listed on the ENSOL
    See: Skilled Occupation Lists (formerly known as Form 1121i)
    Note: You cannot apply for this visa if the nominated position does not relate to an occupation on the ENSOL
    You must also meet one of the following requirements:

you must have your skills assessed as suitable for the nominated position by the relevant skills assessing authority. A list of assessing bodies can be found in the (ENSOL)
    you must have at least three years full-time work experience in the occupation before the visa application is lodged
    or

have been nominated to fill a highly paid senior executive position with a salary of more than $165 000 per annum (excluding superannuation or allowances).
    You must also:

have an employer who is willing to sponsor you for permanent residency
    demonstrate that you have the appropriate skills, qualifications and/or experience to fill the position
    meet any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements that allow you to work unsupervised and without further training
    be under 45 years of age
    provide a letter of appointment or a contract signed by both the employer and yourself
    have Vocational English language ability.
    See: Vocational English Language Requirement

Even if you are thinking of going the 457 route you are still up for skills assessment for some occupations.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm

the 457 is temporary which means you do not have the same rights as a permanent resident, you would have to pay for medical insurance for all the family and have to pay for the kids school fees.

Its easy to read on a forum that getting sponsored is really simple but you really need to have a good think about this and do your homework, if it were that simple everyone would be doing it. At best I reckon out of every 10 people looking sponsorship only 1 or 2 succeed. Thats going on my observations over the last 6 years.

Improver, you are mixing up sponsorship (457 Visa) with an employer sponsored premanant residence visa (ENS 121 Visa)

Mellor wrote: »
    Improver, you are mixing up sponsorship (457 Visa) with an employer sponsored premanant residence visa (ENS 121 Visa)

yeah I guessed that as well, he could only get 121 ENS PR as its the offshore visa and he would require a skills assessment to get that.

For the 856 ENS onshore you can use a skills assessment or 2 years on a qualifying visa like a 457 instead.

Everyone knows the 457 is flaky for stability, plus it is mandatory to have health insurance and school fees.

Plus the nominating employer is responsible for the applicant and their dependents. Most people struggle to find a willing sponsor as a singleton never mind a whole family.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

on a 457 at the moment. Started off 6 months ago with WHV when I first arrived.

Some companies may be reluctant to hire people on a WHV due to the 6 month clause (idiotic rule in truth with many ways around it). I found work pretty easy but the banks in particular and large cos like Cisco arent keen on WHV holders. The WHV rings the boozy backpacker bell for a lot of companies but again its all about being persuasive and catching a break.

To be honest most companies will sponsor you for the employer nominated 457 visa if you do a decent job in your intial stint. The 457 isnt that expensive for companies anyway, it can all be processed online. The trick is to get your case officer details, once you can call them and ask them what they need your application will be processed quickly. Going through a registered migration agent for a WHV or 457 visa application is the equivalent of burning money.

Perhaps there are isolated cases of Aussie companies sponsoring lads and paying for flights but it is the exception rather than the rule so dont rely on it. IMHO Australia lads is booming at the moment so pay the 150 euro for your WHV, one way flight is all you need as see how it goes. The tax incentives are remarkable - we can claim living away from home allowances, food allowances etc. Make sure to get paid through a reputable agency when on your WHV. for 3% of your gross they work their black magic to reduce your tax liability to almost nil.

For people with families, girlfriends etc getting a 457 quickly is the way to go but companies are open to that - their is a skills shortage here big time. The system of sponsoring your girlfriend as your de facto is a huge help - they can work where they like under your 457. The 457 does tie you to an employer but if you wanted to change companies and it was all amicable another company just merely needs to take it over and most Aussie companies are more than well experienced at this now.

My view of the last 6 months - Construction is long hours here but good money. Lots of Irish crews in Sydney willing to give their countrymen a start - pipelaying and shuttering mostly - good few Irish gangsters around too though so be wary. If you really want to strike black gold in construction head out to Perth - they are a parochial lost in Western Oz and to get out to the mines they tend to give their own every chance first. A stint out in the bush or in the mines will make you serious dollars. 26 days on 9 days off or whatever with 12 hours days means it aint easy but free food, accomodation, flights etc mean that there is outrageous money to be saved.

IT - booming. I work in IT not a techie but companies are starting to invest in ICT hugely now after the GFC. Not to mention the national broadband network which will be a contractor's wet dream. Prince 2, ITIL - do these if possible before coming out.

Other things - as always be very wary of recruiters, goes without saying really, they will break your spirit, for lads fresh out of college could be tough enough to get into a company. They like to see a bit of experience but it only takes one to give you a chance. ive seen a lot of qualified people here working in **** jobs - admin in particular and girls seem to find it more difficult but all it needs is a break. Once you are in, you are in.

Another thing if you have previously lived in the UK or have just recently lived there you are entitled to Medicare here.

Cheers padrepio great post would have to agree with nearly every thing you said.

Your namesake must have been looking down and praying for you, I would still say the majority of people are not so lucky. There are plenty of well qualified and experienced posters on this forum still not bagged the lucky label and most of them are on their second year now.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Cheers padrepio great post would have to agree with nearly every thing you said.

Your namesake must have been looking down and praying for you, I would still say the majority of people are not so lucky. There are plenty of well qualified and experienced posters on this forum still not bagged the lucky label and most of them are on their second year now.

most of my irish mates here work in construction and have got sponsored anyway or their partners have. I have only heard one story of someone getting their sponsorship pulled at the last minute so my advise is to take ownership of you own visa application as much as possible. Maybe I got lucky I dont know. For those on the second year visa and wanting to stay on - if your current employer isnt overly keen on sponsoring you start scouring the market. Maybe even offer to pay all the fees - it is only a few grand as far as I know and surely tax deductible. My company did pay mine alright.

there are other ways too to stay on post your second year WHV such as college visas etc. TAFE have a rake of courses that you can pay to do and then stay on. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of this but I know lads who are on these visas at present and working away ABN.

padrepio wrote: »
    Maybe even offer to pay all the fees - it is only a few grand as far as I know and surely tax deductible. My company did pay mine alright.
    An agent charges a few grand (3-4k total in my expierence)
    But the actual cost of sponsorship is not that much at all.

I don't know if it's tax deductible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

guys does it only take one to get sponsorship if ye are going as a couple and then the other can piggyback?

clarelad wrote: »
    guys does it only take one to get sponsorship if ye are going as a couple and then the other can piggyback?
    Yes

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Yes
    not always, not every couple will qualify for de facto, but most will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

not always, not every couple will qualify for de facto, but most will

what are the conditions mellor?

I think in general terms, you need to be living together as husband and wife for 12 months (i've seen 6 months excepted).
    Bills in both names, joint bank account etc.
    If both halfs were still living at home with parents then technically they wouldn't qualify. But that said...

I think in general terms, you need to be living together as husband and wife for 12 months (i've seen 6 months excepted).
    Bills in both names, joint bank account etc.
    If both halfs were still living at home with parents then technically they wouldn't qualify. But that said...

1001 ways around that though mellor.

I had

joint bank acct
    screenshot of facebook (other half)
    old photos together
    we lived together in UK but just proof that we both had post sent to that address (we werent on a joint lease or anything)
    letter of commitment (explaining the relationship etc )
    final year degree results
    professional qualification
    supporting documentation from company

we had no bills in joint names nor proof that we were living together 12 months. My other half had only moved over a couple of months before hand. Also dont bother spending money getting your degree transcript translated to english. Just attach your final degree results.

here is the correspondence that our case officer sent back to us. May be useful for others thinking of or trying to go down the 457 route with a partner

Evidence of your relationship with your spouse or de facto partner
    Please provide a copy of your marriage certificate. If you and your partner are not married (i.e. you are in a de facto relationship), further evidence is required, to demonstrate that:
    · you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
    · your relationship is genuine and continuing
    · you live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis

Evidence that demonstrates the financial aspects of your relationship may include, but is not limited to:
    · any joint ownership of real estate or other major assets
    · any joint liabilities
    · the extent of any pooling of financial resources, especially in
    relation to major financial commitments
    · whether one party to the relationship owes any legal obligation in
    respect of the other
    · the basis of any sharing of day-to-day household expenses

Evidence that demonstrates the nature of your household may include, but is not limited to:
    · any joint responsibility for care and support of children, if any
    · your living arrangements, such as a joint lease
    · any sharing of the responsibility for housework

Evidence that demonstrates the social aspects of the relationship may
    include:
    · whether you represent yourselves to other people as being married or in a de facto relationship with each other
    · statutory declarations from family and friends about the nature of
    your relationship
    · any basis on which you plan and undertake joint social activities or
    travel

Evidence that demonstrates the nature of your commitment to each other may include, but is not limited to:
    · the duration of your relationship
    · the length of time you have lived together
    · the degree of companionship and emotional support that you draw from each other
    · whether you see the relationship as a long-term one

Documents in joint names, such as leases, wills, mortgage policies,
    insurance policies, utility bills and bank account statements, may also
    assist in demonstrating your relationship. Joint statements or statutory
    declarations on the nature of your relationship may not be sufficient
    without other supporting evidence.

Evidence of your qualifications
    Please provide evidence of your qualifications. This may be certified
    diplomas, academic transcripts or letters of reference

Certified copies
    For the purposes of the migration legislation, a document is to be
    certified in writing as a true copy of the document by:

· if the copy is certified in Australia:
    o a Justice of the Peace; or
    o a Commissioner for Declarations; or
    o a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the Statutory Declarations Act 1958 (for example a nurse, medical practitioner, pharmacist or dentist); or
    o a registered migration agent (whose registration is not suspended or subject to a caution).

· if the copy is certified outside Australia:
    o a person who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace or
    Commissioner for Declarations in that place; or
    o a registered migration agent (whose registration is not suspended or subject to a caution).

Translating your documents
    Original documents in languages other than English should be accompanied by an English translation. The English translations must be official certified translations from a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters accredited translator. Translations provided by non-accredited translators outside Australia should be endorsed by the translator with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Was your de-facto with an Aussie citizen or 457 padrepio?

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote: »
    Was your de-facto with an Aussie citizen or 457 padrepio?

nah my girlfriend is a biddy :D

she got sponsored through me. The better end of the deal really. She can work where she likes whereas I am tied to my company for the 4 years (in theory anyway another company could take over my sponsorship but would be a bit of hassle)

Advertisement