Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsorship for Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mayd

Any ideas out there on how over 45's can get employer sponsorship for Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

For what skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mayd wrote: »
    Any ideas out there on how over 45's can get employer sponsorship for Australia.

Employer sponsored is the only way over 45's can migrate, what age are you talking about?

Site foreman from carpentry background, residential and commercial contracts, 51 yrs. Should I go directly to the recruitment agencies?

Have you any contacts this side of the world? They would be far more likely to be of use.

• Advertisement

I read on another forum an agent saying that for ENS it's possible over 45 but over 52 and you're dreaming.

You would need trade papers for skills assessment, and find a employer in Australia that is not ageist and willing to sponsor before you are 52.

I reckon unless you know someone who owns a business in Australia and will definitely give you a job you would be wasting your time.

Have heard of people getting sponsored for 457 well into their 50's. But that would only do you 4 years.

Thanks zambia and mandrake

Really you could try asking an agent but I wouldn't want to see you wasting your money if they led you on for nothing at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

mayd wrote: »
    Site foreman from carpentry background, residential and commercial contracts, 51 yrs. Should I go directly to the recruitment agencies?

would agree about using any contacts you have but if you must head down the agency route try constructioncareers.com. Irish man that runs it anyway - Vince Melican from Clare.

Also Laing O'Rourke have a big presence here. Irish company. Maybe get in touch with their irish branch and see what they can do. They have a lot of work around Brisbane anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

padrepio wrote: »
    1001 ways around that though mellor.

I know that, which is why I said technically
    but we can't really openly encourage breaking immigration laws,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Might sound like a stupid question but if you get sponsered after working for 6 months with a company on a WHV, can you continue working for them for the year and beyond? Or can you only work 6 months with them and can you only return to the company on your 2nd year WHV?

Undertow wrote: »
    Might sound like a stupid question but if you get sponsered after working for 6 months with a company on a WHV, can you continue working for them for the year and beyond? Or can you only work 6 months with them and can you only return to the company on your 2nd year WHV?

If you get sponsored you basically stay working for them.

You dont get a 2nd year whv as you are on a 457 visa from that piont

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Zambia232 wrote: »
    If you get sponsored you basically stay working for them.

You dont get a 2nd year whv as you are on a 457 visa from that piont

Ah, cheers for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Just to update, started work on Monday walked into the office and there were 3 Irish guys there all sponsored too! :)

IT seems to be booming over here, if you have a particular niche skill set such as SAN, database, Sap, Unix or networking stuff I don't think anyone would have a problem getting sponsored at the minute. Am sure developers would have no problem either.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Feelgood wrote: »
    Just to update, started work on Monday walked into the office and there were 3 Irish guys there all sponsored too! :)

IT seems to be booming over here, if you have a particular niche skill set such as SAN, database, Sap, Unix or networking stuff I don't think anyone would have a problem getting sponsored at the minute. Am sure developers would have no problem either.

Thats awesome news for you, congrats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭niborm

Feelgood wrote: »

Quality stuff feelgood.

I have extensive (10 yrs) SQL skills, a lot of it in the financial industry, plus a degree in IT. I am sorely tempted to move to Australia...IT workers - are my sponsorship chances good?

I have already used up (and wasted) my WHV about ten years back - too old anyway.

Can anyone recommend a decent IT recruitment agency that does this regularly/is open to Irish applicants?

Better to just get a skilled migrant visa?

niborm wrote: »
    Quality stuff feelgood.

I have extensive (10 yrs) SQL skills, a lot of it in the financial industry, plus a degree in IT. I am sorely tempted to move to Australia...IT workers - are my sponsorship chances good?

I have already used up (and wasted) my WHV about ten years back - too old anyway.

Can anyone recommend a decent IT recruitment agency that does this regularly/is open to Irish applicants?

Better to just get a skilled migrant visa?

Yes a skilled migrant visa is way better. However it takes longer and costs more.

Depends what your priority is.

Pretty sure I'm on the skills list - how long would you guesstimate? I think I wouldn't use an agent - I'd be happy to go in a year's time.

$6K if I am correct - I will have a wife and child on the application so 2K a head seems reasonable!

Pretty sure I'm on the skills list - how long would you guesstimate? I think I wouldn't use an agent - I'd be happy to go in a year's time.

$6K if I am correct - I will have a wife and child on the application so 2K a head seems reasonable!

Check you are and if so go PR if you have a Job in ireland that keeps you for the wait do so. Sponsored is good for speed but you are tied to that employer and that type of job till you apply for PR.

What tempts you here?

What tempts you here?

If you don't mind, I'll split that in two Zambia...

Temptations to go
    Experience living in another country/city for a while. We have visited several times and think we would really enjoy it. The obvious negatives are leaving family and friends behind, but to counter that we do have friends out there, some family too, and would get plenty of visits.

I have been keeping a pretty close eye on the IT job market out there and it does seem to be booming, with lots of opportunities and decent salaries.

I do love the outdoors and like most people enjoy the nicer climate...admittedly I have seen some pretty bad weather out there but on the whole I would happily take it.

We will be going with a child and it seems like a great place for kids to grow up, or so I often read and hear...I know I would have loved it as a child.

I would have a slight concern re what looks like a housing boom over there and the consequences of a bust, although I am obviously paranoid given what I have seen here.

Driving forces to leave
    The ineptitude of those in charge here and the cabal of corrupt insiders that have ruined the place and still lurk everywhere, lead me to total frustration, and it is hard to see a positive future for Ireland in the short/medium term.

The country is an absolute basket case. Ever increasing taxes and the chipping away of public services whilst paying outrageously high salaries to (some) civil servants just grates with me. Is there a man alive that can explain how our revered taoiseach earns less than only 3 political leaders worldwide and leads Europe in the pay stakes?

The bank (read debt collection agency) bailout. Sickening and we should probably have rioted long ago...we need some more of that French mentality!

Is it fair to raise a child in a country where the tax burden will be so onerous as to make the standard of living a lot lower than one might hope for in other countries?

/end rant

I don't mean to sound ungrateful (although I have probably failed!) as Ireland has given me wonderful things - I am not unduly happy here and am lucky enough to have a job, but I genuinely fear for the future of the country.

I sometimes just think I would like a fresh challenge, a new outlook on things and, oh yes, to be able to turn on a radio and not hear the words 'Anglo' or 'Cowen'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I would have a slight concern re what looks like a housing boom over there and the consequences of a bust, although I am obviously paranoid given what I have seen here.
    Hopefully the bubble here won't burst in the spectacular fashion it did in Ireland. The advice I would give fellow migrants is to think long and hard before buying a property here. The cognitive dissonance is strong, property fairy tales are well and truly alive in the Land of Oz. If you avoid that big rusty bear trap you should be fairly O.K.

If you don't mind, I'll split that in two Zambia...

Temptations to go
    The obvious negatives are leaving family and friends behind, but to counter that we do have friends out there, some family too, and would get plenty of visits.
    This is by far the biggest drawback in fact I would say if you had a strong family and friends support network its worth its weight in gold and you should not give it up to easy. Especially with kids.

Other than that all your reasonings seem sound to me. If you are going to apply I would give you one big piece of advice. Tell as few people as you can. We told only a few some of the people we did tell we regreted. Basically the wait is long enough without people however good intentioned asking you how its going. Then there is the real idiots who use the old.
    "Tis yourself sure I thought you where off to Ozzie land ages ago":mad:

ballooba wrote: »
    Hopefully the bubble here won't burst in the spectacular fashion it did in Ireland. The advice I would give fellow migrants is to think long and hard before buying a property here. The cognitive dissonance is strong, property fairy tales are well and truly alive in the Land of Oz. If you avoid that big rusty bear trap you should be fairly O.K.

Good point - We would definitely only rent for the foreseeable future. I have been reading a fair amount about it and the losses incurred by landlords in Australia are quite staggering. Not the thread to start a discussion re negative gearing and the like, but a correction at the least is inevitable to me.
    If you are going to apply I would give you one big piece of advice. Tell as few people as you can. We told only a few some of the people we did tell we regreted. Basically the wait is long enough without people however good intentioned asking you how its going. Then there is the real idiots who use the old.
    "Tis yourself sure I thought you where off to Ozzie land ages ago":mad:

So, so true...I have made this error already due to being offered a job in Australia. It turned out not to be a concrete offer (it may still materialize, although I wouldn't take it now), but I had manged to tell too many people, and each conversation began for a while with "How's the Australia thing?". My own fault and lesson learned.

ballooba wrote: »

Its hard to know whats going happen but I did come across this yesterday

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/house-prices-poised-to-rise-not-burst-bis-shrapnel-report/story-e6frg9gx-1225937651501

The reason why the bubble burst so spectacular in Ireland is that it over developed the housing, too many bigshots buying 3 or 4 cheap houses and renting them out to immigrants while they built themselves a nice big McMansion. As soon as the Celtic Tiger Tax breaks ended and the GFC hit most of the big companies either shut shop or f**ked off to India.

The immigrants crawled back to eastern europe and these clowns are left with empty houses with no one to rent them .........a very good example of more supply than demand. Drives property prices down and no demand for the building industry... thats why there are so many Tradies & civil engineers looking out here. It might be the case that Ireland might not need to build any houses for the next 15 years.

If something happened to the mining sector then the west of Australia would be in the same sh*t and thats why I would never buy in Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The media is all over the shop on the issue. As was said above it's off topic for the thread. I think there's another thread somewhere. I'm just voicing a word of caution to people to use their head and not solely their heart/balls on this. If you do buy then make sure you go into it with your eyes wide open, and your mind.

Advertisement