Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie and banks runs

Options
  • 30-09-2010 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly let me state I was a subscriber with over 7,000 posts and lost them all after the hacking incident :(
    Never did get a solution with the team at the address given

Starbelgrade is a great poster and taking the piss here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056047262

I remember the thread a few weeks ago, paraphrasing but "my friend is in BOI and there are queues out the door and people are withdrawing all they have"

Remember Joe Duffy and Liveline and queues outside Northern Bank even when there was no issues?
    Credit to DeVore, on the ball and a sticky added in AH immediately.

Boards.ie has the potential to start another bank run faster then Joe Duffy and RTÉ Radio has.
    Is there a policy in place in place, that's all I ask.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Can you email me at hello@boards.ie with your account details and we'll get it sorted please?

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Starbelgrade is a great poster and taking the piss here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056047262

But I was being serious.

:D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cowen made me say it. :rolleyes: :)

Thanks, we do try to be responsible and we tread a very fine (and at times, non existant) line between offering people a platform for discussion versus constraining people from malicious damage.

Almost no one thanks us for it though :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Feckin' thanks whore.

Earlier today I saw a post in the reported posts forum. Someone was making out that a certain bank was boned and that we should all withdraw our money in the morning (post was made yesterday).

Lo and behold, i check my account on-line and I'm €20 in the red.
    The dude was right. I should have taken my money out.

What am I going to do now?

What actually happened was that I forgot that my Eircom bill was due, and didn't leave enough money in the bank to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Terry wrote: »
    ... Lo and behold, i check my account on-line and I'm €20 in the red.
    The dude was right. I should have taken my money out.

What am I going to do now?

Go right ahead and take your overdraft out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I still have an account with AIB Im in the middle of getting closed :/

Banks going the way of Medicare then? :pac: Ohhh it would be so funny if Medicare wasnt so sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Boards.ie has the potential to start another bank run faster then Joe Duffy and RTÉ Radio has.
    Is there a policy in place in place, that's all I ask.

There's no official policy that I'm aware of, anyway. However, I would usually pull such a thread on the basis that it's speculative and potentially problematic, and ask the OP to get back to me with any proof. As far as I recall, I had to do that a couple of months ago.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Firstly let me state I was a subscriber with over 7,000 posts and lost them all after the hacking incident :(
    Never did get a solution with the team at the address given

The hack was in January 2010, 'feelingstressed' was made in August 2009 >.>

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The hack was in January 2010, 'feelingstressed' was made in August 2009 >.>

:pac:

A long, long story and I've emailed the address Darragh posted

And so it continues
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056091553

I don't know the solution, I realy don't

And starbelgrade is a top poster in AH :D
    But sorry, I take exception to these potential bank run threads, maybe as I saw the hysteria Joe Duffy caused with Northern Trust and hysteria helps nobody. As we say in Personal Issues, confidence is key

If an OP has a rock solid link that there is a bank run then I welcome it. I'll be first with my savings out.
    But scare mongering helps nobody
    Thank you admin, DeVore and admin for following up, I realy don't know what can be done

To be fair, a lot of posters on that thread have derided the OP for scaremongering, and that's probably the best response.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

*giggle*.... I think Starbelgrade was having a sly laugh at the expense of some people with reference to this....

at least thats my reading of it....

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I dont have my money in any banks.

I invested in stocks of cheese.

Then the bastards started shelling out cheese for free - flooding the market

My empire is ruined.

Back to pr0n for me.

Ah, but... blessed are the cheesemakers..... :p

DeV.

Personally, I'm enjoying the contributions from the "gold is the only store of value in the case of complete collapse" brigade. I'm not sure they've processed the fact that the "gold" they're buying will largely be notional ownership on the far side of the collapsed world financial system, and accessible only via systems that will have broken down.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP here and I bumped the thread last night, a bit of a drunken post :o

Starbelgrade is a quality poster, I've no issues there

Just was about the thread topic but the mods and admin are controlling it well
    So I won't be bumping the thread again

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Here's the policy of another forum on the issue of bank runs:

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13476

I think it makes a lot of sense because as fun as a bank run sounds and all, there really is no reason to make matters worse.

If people want to move their money into another bank, or convert it to cash/gold/tins of beans then they should be free to say so.

But suggesting that a run will take place in a certain bank at a certain time, while unlikely to actually trigger a bank run, could nevertheless end up being blamed for causing it.

After all, it seems that boards and p.ie are solely responsible for all the international negative commentary on Ireland:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056088536

Also TPP are much less in the spotlight, but still felt it was an appropriate moderation move.

Here's the policy of another forum on the issue of bank runs:

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13476

I think it makes a lot of sense because as fun as a bank run sounds and all, there really is no reason to make matters worse.

If people want to move their money into another bank, or convert it to cash/gold/tins of beans then they should be free to say so.

But suggesting that a run will take place in a certain bank at a certain time, while unlikely to actually trigger a bank run, could nevertheless end up being blamed for causing it.

After all, it seems that boards and p.ie are solely responsible for all the international negative commentary on Ireland:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056088536

Also TPP are much less in the spotlight, but still felt it was an appropriate moderation move.

I'm extremely tempted to nick that verbatim. It seems to cover the reasoning and the outcome very precisely.

wrestling with temptation,
    and losing,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I'm extremely tempted to nick that verbatim. It seems to cover the reasoning and the outcome very precisely.

wrestling with temptation,
    and losing,
    Scofflaw

I'll PM TUG.

If you never hear from me again, you'll know what happened.

Advertisement