Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Bike Essentials

• 30-09-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm now buying a 2011 Trek 1.5 on the cycle to work scheme, however I have to come up with the money in 1 go - boss won't go for monthly payments. Selling everything I own to do it so very tight budget, the bottom line is after buying bike I'm left with €150-200. have tools, lights and helmet already so what are the top essentials I should spend the rest on - I REALLY need a basic computer, maybe Cateye Strada - should I get shorts and jersey, are gatorskins more important, gloves? Underlayers? Any advice for the winter? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Most bikes just come basic clipped pedals so buy shoes and SPD pedals.Then a basic wireless computer and a pair of decent shorts would be next on the list.
    A spare tube, levers and a saddle bag is essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

In all honesty, €200 wont get you a whole lot. You already have tools, lights and a helmet so at least we can rule them out. If you want clip pedals and shoes to go with them, this could cost approx €150 depending on what you go for. If these aren't a priority, then you should definitely invest in a decent pair of shorts. For me, a pair of bib shorts are the business, though coming into winter maybe you'll want the bib tights or leg warmers to go with the shorts. Without wearing shorts/tights with a decent chamois, you'll spend very little time on the saddle of the bike and you'll spend most of the time in a standing position. Getting a jersey is your own decision but isn't essential, coming into winter a good base layer or jacket might be a better option.A saddle bag is another thing you might look for along with spare tubes, a portable pump and gloves for winter. These arent expensive at all, but they all add up. You asked also about a computer (Cateye), these can also cost up to €50, if this isn't an absolute must at the beginning, then you can get computers in Tesco and Lidl/Aldi for about €10-€20. Again these do the job and could last you no problem until you found the need to upgrade to something better. It all really depends on what you really want. To me, if you want to enjoy your cycles, then its important you get a good pair of shorts/tights where you'll be comfortable in the saddle. The saddle bag for carrying spare tubes and tools are handy too incase of a puncture etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

gloves and a windproof jacket at least, or you won't wanna cycle anywhere till april!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

+1 on shorts/tights and prioritising base layers over a jersey.

I would find it hard to do without a track pump, to be honest. I wouldn't worry about tyres for the moment. You will end up getting shoes and pedals at some stage but maybe they can wait.

I suppose it would be sensible to prioritise the things that qualify for the discount under the scheme. Looking at the list, that would suggest a lock, a track pump and a reflective rain jacket.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about the fact that your employer won't deduct the cost from your wages over a longer period. It probably doesn't mean that your employment is in any way insecure ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Deep section wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Thanks for all the replies - so looks like 1) shorts 2) base layer 3) gloves 4) saddle bag 5) pump - cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Forgot to put spare tube in there around number 1!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I can't figure why anyone starting off would needs deep section wheels as a starting priority!
    I'd go number one for a good pump as you'll suffer punctures otherwise. Then I'd suggest good winter clothing before computer - good 'long johns', top base and warm top etc.
    It boils down to what are the prioriteis to cycle your bike comfortably and safely, and to enjoy it. So, maybe ask that question with each item you think of??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

I can't figure why anyone starting off would needs deep section wheels as a starting priority!
    I'd go number one for a good pump as you'll suffer punctures otherwise. Then I'd suggest good winter clothing before computer - good 'long johns', top base and warm top etc.
    It boils down to what are the prioriteis to cycle your bike comfortably and safely, and to enjoy it. So, maybe ask that question with each item you think of??

Think you'll find Raam was only being sarcastic about the deep section rims;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Oh ... right so ...
    (Pheww ... I thought the world was really going crackers). They should be deep section tubs too ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement