Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumour 33x is going to be axed

Options
  • 30-09-2010 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

There is rumor going around that 33x buses are to be axed soon. Irish rail has been distributing discount vouchers recently in 33x, may be a prelude to the proposed shutdown? Since schools reopened, most 33x buses are full in both directions. If the axing is true it is time passengers wake up and take action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Perhaps you should wait until you hear something official before you go scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Who told you that rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Maybe they jthrppel are not scaremongering!! I heard this at work today "they were looking at axing it". But the lobby for this service should be ongoing to ensure it is not curtailed.

I, for one and Mrs DCR, will be heartbroken if they curtail it as it's been a godsend from the awful sh1tty service offered by Irish Rail.

That, and the fact, that we were on the last northbound train to go over the Malahide estuary on that fateful evening makes me extremely wary of travelling the train on a daily basis.

Here's an e-mail I've just spun off to Dublin Bus. I really hope that I get a response from them:

Hello,

I'm a daily user of the 33X bus service to/from Lusk and I have to commend Dublin Bus on stepping up to the plate following the unfortunate incident at the Malahide Estuary last year and further to that, keeping the route in service following the reinstatement of train services from November last year.

However, I was concerned to hear over the weekend that there are rumours that the service is going to be axed. I know that you are working on the Network Direct initiative at present and I was wondering is a curtailment/cancellation of the 33X on the cards.

It would be most unfortunate if this was to be the case as for the most part, the buses are full both inbound/outbound on a daily basis and it's a very good, clean alternative to the shockingly substandard and far less reliable service offered by your colleagues at Íarnród Éireann.

I would be very grateful if you could give me an update on this because if the rumour is proven to be true, I will be heavily lobbying my local representatives (along with other fellow 33X users) to ensure that the service is retained.

Looking forward to your response.

• Advertisement

Got this reply back this morning:

Dear Sir

Further to your query, at this point in time Dublin Bus is involved with Phase 1 of its Network Direct Programme. The public consultation period for Phase 1 (Lucan/North Kildare, Stillorgan Road/Dún Laoghaire/Bray and Blanchardstown) has concluded and the implementation has begun.

Once Phase 1 has been fully implemented, the next phases will be implemented on a 2-3 monthly basis over the next twelve months. At this point in time, Dublin Bus is only in the initial drafting stages regarding bus routes outside the Stage 1 areas (including Route 33x), but no decisions will be taken without a prior consultation process.

Kind regards,
    Network Direct Project Office

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

LeoB wrote: »
    Maybe they jthrppel are not scaremongering!! I heard this at work today "they were looking at axing it". But the lobby for this service should be ongoing to ensure it is not curtailed.

Who could 'they' be?

There was always a 33X (0635 ex Mourne View and 1735 ex St Stephen's Green) before the collapse of the Malahide viaduct.

Most 33x services in the am are packed by the time they are leaving Lusk. In fact Skerries and Rush are about half of the bus population and Lusk the rest. It is a great service for those who are living in the estates which are miles from stations, like hacketstown in skerries and st catherine's in rush.

I think the 33X is a very good service and deserves to continue.

Yes, there was a person handing out vouchers for trains last week - maybe we are reading too much into it. I've got an annual bus and rail but prefer rail for work because the trains are too crowded with nasty people who fight like rats to get the last seat available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

cbreeze wrote: »
    Who could 'they' be?

There was always a 33X (0635 ex Mourne View and 1735 ex St Stephen's Green) before the collapse of the Malahide viaduct.

Most 33x services in the am are packed by the time they are leaving Lusk. In fact Skerries and Rush are about half of the bus population and Lusk the rest. It is a great service for those who are living in the estates which are miles from stations, like hacketstown in skerries and st catherine's in rush.

I think the 33X is a very good service and deserves to continue.

Yes, there was a person handing out vouchers for trains last week - maybe we are reading too much into it. I've got an annual bus and rail but prefer rail for work because the trains are too crowded with nasty people who fight like rats to get the last seat available.

Everyone agrees its a good service. But read the reply above from the project office.

THEY are the people who hide in all organisations usually behind a title and make silly decisions, No decision yet is a bit of a "spin" job. Who will they consult? I am a bit cynicle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

LeoB wrote: »
    Everyone agrees its a good service. But read the reply above from the project office.

THEY are the people who hide in all organisations usually behind a title and make silly decisions, No decision yet is a bit of a "spin" job. Who will they consult? I am a bit cynicle

The review of North Dublin is some way down the line in terms of the overall network review. The plans will be made public in the same way as they did for the N11, Lucan and Blanchardstown and then the responses reviewed by the company.

I could not see the 33X being withdrawn - it has proved a resounding success story for Dublin Bus and this sort of rumour is nothing more than scaremongering.

KC61 wrote: »
    I could not see the 33X being withdrawn - it has proved a resounding success story for Dublin Bus and this sort of rumour is nothing more than scaremongering.
    +1

I was on the 7.30am bus (from Lusk) this morning and I had to stand (along with 10-12 other fellow passengers). This is more due to the colleges being back and the roadworks at Turvey adding an extra 10 minutes to the morning commute.

It really is a superb service and DB would be mad to even considering terminating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Maybe DB should restore the 0645, had to get 0630 this am and that was full too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

With a 6 carriage train operating on certain peak time trains on the Northern Suburban line, there is significant overcrowding presently for that particular services, especially for those getting on at Donabate. They change which service will operate as 6 carriages, so you cannot plan around same.
    I hear some of those 'squashed' that they plan to get DB annual tickets next year instead. They are just fed up of the lateness (very bad last week), and general lack of information.

Advertisement