Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Lunch in town!

Options
  • 30-09-2010 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

For me, the award has to go to JAYE TAYLOR, the cafe in Wilton Shopping Centre by the door out to the Bank Of Ireland!

€7 yesterday for the Toasted "Special" - a toasted special with free coffee.

The most miserablely normal (like you'd make yourself at home in a rush) toasted sandwich ever accompanied by 1 leaf of lettuce, 1 slice of tomato and barely a tea spoon of coleslaw!!

Never again will I go there.

In my day, you'd get that when you ask for a 'toasted sandwich'. When you asked for a Special you should get chips or at least some potato salad!!

Any other contenders for the award around Cork?!

Comments

Is a toasted special not a ham, tomatoe and onion toasted sandwich. Taosted special does not imply you get a load of coleslaw or lettuce with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

RoverJames wrote: »
    Is a toasted special not a ham, tomatoe and onion toasted sandwich. Taosted special does not imply you get a load of coleslaw or lettuce with it.

Thought it was ham tomato and cheese, but agreed, it does not imply extras.

Why anyone would pay €7 for a sandwich in any circumstances is beyond me.

Trashbat wrote: »

Why anyone would pay €7 for a sandwich in any circumstances is beyond me.

In a retaurant a sandwich and coffee for €7 isn't out of the way really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

A traditional toasted special is made up of four ingredients - ham, cheese, tomato and onion. (not including bread before someone says it :P)

Any place that does sandwiches can put whatever they want in their sandwiches (just ask if you are not sure).

€7 for your sandwich and a free coffee? I hate that crap! More like "we charge €4.50 for the sambo and €2.50 for the coffee but we will say it is €7 for the sambo and a coffee for free because it sounds better" :rolleyes:

Oh and regarding the amount of coselaw / garnish etc they can put whatever they like...none at all if they wish. In O'Briens all they give you is a handful of crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

RoverJames wrote: »
    In a retaurant a sandwich and coffee for €7 isn't out of the way really.

It is when the sandwich is supposedly free (meaning the sandwich was a lot at €7) yes I am being pedantic and all that but hey like my post before this food places like to throw in so called free things even though they are not really free :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

You should have complained or mentioned it to them. Not enough people complain about things here in instinsances (tis too early to spell) like this...

I never undestood that in Wilton Shopping Centre how there is no decent restaurant.

You have O'Briens which are sh**te refuse to pay for their stuff as they charge you extra for sitting down to eat.And it is overpriced.
    Hi burger is it blahhhhh chips are about the nicest thing.
    This restaurant you are talking about although I do think it is the better of a bad bunch at least the stafff are friendly and the place that is in the middle between the shops that is a realy hit and miss sometimes tis ok but sometimes you would be looking at it going mmm should I eat that or not.

Milly33 wrote: »

You have O'Briens which are sh**te refuse to pay for their stuff as they charge you extra for sitting down to eat.

Nice grub though. I used to go to O Briens for brunch when I was out of work for 3 months a few years back after crawling out of the bed at 12 ish, happy days they were. Get an orange juice along with a Latte and sandwich and you need a lash of coins to go with the tenner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You should have complained or mentioned it to them. Not enough people complain about things here in instinsances (tis too early to spell) like this...

I never undestood that in Wilton Shopping Centre how there is no decent restaurant.

You have O'Briens which are sh**te refuse to pay for their stuff as they charge you extra for sitting down to eat.And it is overpriced.
    Hi burger is it blahhhhh chips are about the nicest thing.
    This restaurant you are talking about although I do think it is the better of a bad bunch at least the stafff are friendly and the place that is in the middle between the shops that is a realy hit and miss sometimes tis ok but sometimes you would be looking at it going mmm should I eat that or not.

There is a higher rate of VAT for food consumed on premises than take away freshly prepared.

21 v 13.5 I believe.

Also far higher costs involved.

I'd prefer my take away price to be significantly cheaper than the sit down price to be honest and don't see why it shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I admit I did not complain, depite feeling like I should. The reason being is that when it came to it there was nobody there who obviously looked like they were a manager and hence care.

Of course, being Irish, there is probably an inbuilt barrier in me to complaining also!

You're right. There is no decent cafe/eatery in Wilton SC. It's amazing they all survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

You should have complained or mentioned it to them. Not enough people complain about things here

Completely agree. If the café or wherever values customer feedback, they'll thank you. Big if I know. :rolleyes:

In certain other jurisdictions, if you're dissatisfied and only leave what you think is fair, provided you leave your name and address so that you're not 'making off without payment', you're not criminally liable, only under civil law and its up to the propietor to persue you for the 'debt'. Where I feel I've been particularly 'short changed', I return the favour :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

kcb wrote: »
    I admit I did not complain, depite feeling like I should. The reason being is that when it came to it there was nobody there who obviously looked like they were a manager and hence care.

Of course, being Irish, there is probably an inbuilt barrier in me to complaining also!

You're right. There is no decent cafe/eatery in Wilton SC. It's amazing they all survive.

Little Italy isnt bad, decent wraps and a good selection of ice cream, dont think they do to much food though, only ever got wraps when i was out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wilton is so not town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Kold wrote: »
    Wilton is so not town.
    unless your a bogger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Wilton is so not town.

It's more of a phrase for the sake of a remotely catchy topic title, kid!

Not 'town' as in 'I'n goin in town there like'.

And I'd say boggers would refer to Cork as the 'city', not 'town'. 'Town' to them would be their local 'town', even if it's barely a big village.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

as Milly33 said, there are no decent places to eat in Wilton Shopping centre.

Wilton SC has to be one of the worst shopping centres ever. It screams of 70's development and the place is full of disgustingly ugly and over-weight people who you'd cross the road to avoid on a dark road if you know what I mean.

I f*cking hate that piece of 'art' on the Wilton roundabout. F*cksake it's so damn sh*t and screams depressing 80's cluelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'm sure there's a lot of bad places around Cork.

In terms of sitting in a restaurant type setting and ordering lunch, I would have to say Luigi Malones is the worst, slow service, SH!T food and a ridiculous price.

It really is the saddest excuse for a restaurant I have ever seen.

If any disagrees I suggest they order the sweet chili chicken salad (or whatever it's called) to see exactly how **** Luigi Malones is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dermighty wrote: »

In terms of sitting in a restaurant type setting and ordering lunch, I would have to say Luigi Malones is the worst, slow service, SH!T food and a ridiculous price.

If any disagrees I suggest they order the sweet chili chicken salad (or whatever it's called) to see exactly how **** Luigi Malones is.

Curran's is worse. At least the chicken wings are decent in Luigi's, can't say i'd recommend a single main though.

It screams of 70's development and the place is full of disgustingly ugly and over-weight people who you'd cross the road to avoid on a dark road if you know what I mean.

Having worked in Blackpool shopping centre I'd have to disagree with that, the amount of weird looking folk that wander in there cannot be surpassed by what goes into Wilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭brehayes

ya, luigis is just soo bloody slow, its not even funny.

cafe bar deli is very pretentious too and isn't worth the money you have to pay.

that being said, the amount of excellent restaurants in Cork is great - really is splendid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Wholeheartedly agree. I went there once when I first came to Cork and was shocked at how bad it was in every respect. It staggers me, how often I hear it praised by Corkonians. The fact that its still in business defies belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Luigi Malone's is very, very mixed IMO. You could get a lovely, good quality meal there; you could get a sh1te, stodgy, processed, straight-out-of-a-packet meal too. Dinner there seems to be better than lunch overall. In fairness, there is huge variety on its menu.
    kcb wrote: »
    For me, the award has to go to JAYE TAYLOR, the cafe in Wilton Shopping Centre by the door out to the Bank of Ireland!
    Heh, funny that - I actually think the food there is generally very nice, but I ordered a sandwich made with tomato bread the other day and they said they didn't have tomato bread. I made the point that it says on the wall menu they have it, and they were acting totally baffled, as if I was imagining things, then the guy said "There's tomato in it, that's probably what it means" so I just said I'd leave it but maybe the wall menu could be changed as it's misleading, and I left. I wasn't rude to them, but it was pretty irritating. One thing for them to run out of that bread - that's gonna happen from time to time in a busy place - but another to act like they don't even have it.
    Wilton SC has to be one of the worst shopping centres ever. It screams of 70's development and the place is full of disgustingly ugly and over-weight people who you'd cross the road to avoid on a dark road if you know what I mean.
    Not an attack, but bizarre reason to be put off a shopping centre - and I don't see how it would affect a person's shopping experience, you can always look away. Not specific to certain shopping centres either btw...

O'Briens gets a lot of bad feedback - I agree it's ridiculously overpriced, but I personally like the food. I agree Wilton SC doesn't have anywhere particularly great, but Jaye Taylor and O'Briens are the best of a bad lot IMO.

The most disappointing dining experience I've had in recent times is The Boardwalk - what a load of over-hyped tosh. The buffalo wings were swimming in grease, the rest of the meal was just forgettable. And the vibe - it's so up its arse because of its rep (owned by a radio personality who's well known in Cork - woop-dee-doo).

Dudess wrote: »
    And the vibe - it's so up its arse because of its rep (owned by a radio personality who's well known in Cork - woop-dee-doo).

Knob central ;)
    I'd be slow to line Neil's pockets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Biggest problem with Luigis is the noise. It's incredible. You can't have a conversation without shouting at the person 2 foot away from you. There's nothing intimate about the place.
    Curran's is worse.

I got a serious dose of the squirts after Curran's chicken curry 2 years ago. Up all night with stomach cramps, and when I phoned them the next day to complain, they gave me a virtual shrug of the shoulders down the phone and a meh for good measure before telling me that a few people got it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

as Milly33 said, there are no decent places to eat in Wilton Shopping centre.

I agree that Wilton has gone down-hill over the last few years, there are so many units that are empty there now and there definitely isn't a really nice place to eat there even though there are 6 places to choose from - O'Briens, Jaye Taylor, Patonis, The Gallery, Little Italy and Hi Burger. I think Jaye Taylor is the best of this bunch. It is expensive but I had the avocado salad there a couple of times and I really enjoyed it.

However the comment about the type of people who go to Wilton is truly bizarre! There are ugly and over-weight people everywhere, you'd just as likely see them in town, Mahon Point or Blackpool. Shouldn't the most important thing about a shopping centre be the shops that are in it??

Back to the topic on hand, I went for lunch yesterday in a place called 'Ketchup' in town, it's right next to Paul St Shopping Centre, at the top of French Church street. Wasn't too impressed to be honest, it's a burger place and it has beef, chicken, lamb and veggie burgers so there is good choice. The burger I got was ok but I got a side order of 'Homeslaw', I thought I was getting homemade fresh coleslaw, in fact when I got it there was nothing homemade about it, it was like the packaged coleslaw you'd get in a shop, way too much mayo. So I felt that calling it 'Homeslaw' was misleading and as well it's classed as a side order and costs €2.50, totally overpriced and a waste of money. Most restaurants if you got a burger and chips would have some coleslaw on the plate at no extra cost. Anyway it was ok but I wouldn't be rushing back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

neveah wrote: »
    However the comment about the type of people who go to Wilton is truly bizarre! There are ugly and over-weight people everywhere, you'd just as likely see them in town, Mahon Point or Blackpool. Shouldn't the most important thing about a shopping centre be the shops that are in it??

OK, a few people have taken issue with my comments about the actual people in Wilton SC. Some say the people shouldn't matter when talking about the experience in a shopping centre but lets not all totally agree with this. Shops will look at demographics etc and I could go on to explain my thinking (example: Compare the customer base of Penney's to Brown Thomas) but it's off topic so for now I'll retract my comments about the people and will just say Wilton SC is a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

having been dragged to Brown Thomas cafe this morning for coffee and scones i have to say they are the worst! it looked nice and teh service was nice, but the scones were very dry and hard and the butter portion was so small i felt embarrassed asking for more and the jam was like jelly (i know it will never beat the homemade jam im used to but still)

having been dragged to Brown Thomas cafe this morning for coffee and scones i have to say they are the worst! it looked nice and teh service was nice, but the scones were very dry and hard and the butter portion was so small i felt embarrassed asking for more and the jam was like jelly (i know it will never beat the homemade jam im used to but still)

A scone doesn't constitute lunch imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

A scone doesn't constitute lunch imo.

well i had cereal this morning and i won't be eating again till dinner...so it was my lunch! and tbh if they cannot get a basic scone right what hope does food there have! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thats because uhhh yep I still call it Cashes, your not really suppose to eat the food there. It is only for show...I agree though on a serious note I have been there twice and the food was plasticie and tasteless down to the tea, and overpriced.. Dont think much of any of of the staff in the whole store..

Another one I do not get is Coffee Pod, a lot of people tend to like it but I cannot see why..They have again that plastic tasting, water filled chicken in their dishes and again it isnt really nice...

Advertisement