Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT Student Patrol

Options
  • 30-09-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Was wondering how the noise levels at night are out the Renmore and Dublin Rd area since this new GMIT dealy. When I read about it my first thought was not a chance students are going to tell other students to shut up. Anybody living out that area notice any difference?

Comments

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Was wondering how the noise levels at night are out the Renmore and Dublin Rd area since this new GMIT dealy. When I read about it my first thought was not a chance students are going to tell other students to shut up. Anybody living out that area notice any difference?

So using the same reasoning i should be able to walk up to anyone in my course and just talk to them(just started this year), after all we're the same...... or maybe i don't know them and don't have a mutual bond with the other couple of 1000 students just because we both attend the same complex.

So in short, just because both sets attend the same college doesn't mean they're in any way the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So using the same reasoning i should be able to walk up to anyone in my course and just talk to them(just started this year), after all we're the same...... or maybe i don't know them and don't have a mutual bond with the other couple of 1000 students just because we both attend the same complex.

So in short, just because both sets attend the same college doesn't mean they're in any way the same

Is it working? I just think that because I worked for years with young people in an off license and they would never have the guts to ID people they went to school with. While I did and caught crap over it in school...Those were fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Can't see it making a bit of difference myself tbh, we'll see how rag week goes

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Is it working? I just think that because I worked for years with young people in an off license and they would never have the guts to ID people they went to school with. While I did and caught crap over it in school...Those were fun times.

From my experience you'd know around 15-20 people?(properly)..... that leaves a few 1000 you wouldn't know, secondly i think this force is made up of 2nd years+, the problems would mainly be from 1st years tbh.

And it's a paid job. I suppose there is the chance it's not being enforced, but then it would get back to the college that nothing was done and whoever was on call would prob' be out of pocket fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

From my experience you'd know around 15-20 people?(properly)..... that leaves a few 1000 you wouldn't know, secondly i think this force is made up of 2nd years+, the problems would mainly be from 1st years tbh.

And it's a paid job. I suppose there is the chance it's not being enforced, but then it would get back to the college that nothing was done and whoever was on call would prob' be out of pocket fairly quick.

Actually having worked there for 11 years I would estimate with the high staff turnover that I probably worked with about 200 different people or so in that time. Don't know what your talking about know?..it's not a case about knowing it's a case that if they are making trouble out there chances are they go to GMIT. Would somebody who has to be around that college piss all over the parade of the students that cause trouble knowing they'll have to see them in the halls. Granted maybe GMIT is bigger then when I went there and its less likely to meet people that frequently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

not sure about the new GMIT deal thing, but they're sure as noisey as they usually are, but not in a bad way - as in they're mmuch the same as I expect them to be, generally grand and no problems, not too loud but not OTT either. It's expected when you live right by the student village.

Now if only GMIT students would tell the fcuking taxi drivers that drop off the students at the gates of gleann na ri to NOT blow the horn between 12am and 6am I'd be very happy. It's usually in impatience with the gates that creak and quite frankly I feel like getting my can of wd40 and oil the damn things myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

When did these patrols start? Myself and the girlfriend live in Gleann na ri. It was really noisy for the first two weeks but its totally calmed down now. We were expecting noise when we moved into a student area. Felt like throttleing the lot of them the first two weeks, but I'd say it was just the first time at college buzz, or maybe these patrols have actually been about and made a difference. I have't spotted them though. It wasn't you featheredcat who removed the gates there a few days ago, was it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

bat boy wrote: »
    It wasn't you featheredcat who removed the gates there a few days ago, was it. :p

lol no :D, I hadn't noticed until yesterday after I posted here that cars were zooming through with no stop - I did see what I assumed was the maintenance guy doing something with them a few days ago although i thought they'd finally gotten around to oiling them!

I'd be impressed to see what effect Student Patrols have around the area though and I hope it works out and that people are reasonable about it. TBH I hope it's daytime only because the last few nights after clubs shut have been particularly rowdy and no student understands that every sound made at the gates of gleann na ri carry quite far by echo

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

bat boy wrote: »
    When did these patrols start? Myself and the girlfriend live in Gleann na ri. It was really noisy for the first two weeks but its totally calmed down now. We were expecting noise when we moved into a student area. Felt like throttleing the lot of them the first two weeks, but I'd say it was just the first time at college buzz, or maybe these patrols have actually been about and made a difference. I have't spotted them though. It wasn't you featheredcat who removed the gates there a few days ago, was it. :p

They don't go to Gleann na Ri or Glasan, it's mostly Gleann Rua/Lurgan Park and apparently Tir na gCapaill.

And also, the names of people on the patrol are being kept private (I only know about 4 and there's about 15, mostly 2nd years+/postgrads). They're also not allowed approach people/enter houses.

Advertisement