Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shih tzu in heat

Options
  • 30-09-2010 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My little girl is 8 months and just went in to heat 2 days ago. How long will this last? Thanks in advance.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The spotting can last 1-2 weeks but she can be in heat up to a month so keep her separate from intact males for at least a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thanks Tillygirl. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If like me you live in a built up area with lots of dogs around, I would recommend washing her rear end every few days and wash her well before you do bring her out when she finishes her heat. The smell can linger and attract dogs otherwise. It can be scary for a little dog to have every dog suddenly showing an intrest in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

mymo wrote: »
    If like me you live in a built up area with lots of dogs around, I would recommend washing her rear end every few days and wash her well before you do bring her out when she finishes her heat. The smell can linger and attract dogs otherwise. It can be scary for a little dog to have every dog suddenly showing an intrest in her.

+1 on washing her regularly. She will lick at her vulva herself but often it can get quite mucky and you don't want her leaving trails of stale blood round.

Most heats last around 10 - 14 days, but it can take a while for her to finish totally so there may be dogs interested in her for a while afterwards (and the same applies with her going into heat). Keep the boys away from her for at least a month and she should be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Technique

My dog has just gone into heat for the first time and i am thinking of getting her neutered . When would be the best time to do it ? Will she need to be locked in all day during heat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

i've brought her out in heat the past couple of days on a lead. No problems at all. She's just barking at other dogs. No need to keep them under lock and key. Once she's on a lead everything should be fine.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My pup was spayed about 3 weeks after her first heat(the best time is before first heat, but she came into heat early at 5 months). The vet told me once everything settles down anytime after that is fine.
    Regards bringing her out, I took my girl out a few times when in heat, but twice we were followed by dogs and she got upset as they were growling at each other. Best time I found was 7am or 11pm, no dogs out roaming at that time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Technique wrote: »
    My dog has just gone into heat for the first time and i am thinking of getting her neutered . When would be the best time to do it ? Will she need to be locked in all day during heat?

The best time to get her neutered is half way between heats - so about 2.5 to 3 months after her first day of heat. This way, her hormones are settled and it goes as smoothly as possible for everyone involved.

You don't have to keep her locked up, just be sure to keep males away from her. Walking her during "off peak" times (ie. very early in the morning, mid day during the week when everyone is at work and late at night) will help prevent unwanted males following you around while you have her out. Make sure your garden is very secure, males will find their way in otherwise. Your best bet is to keep her indoors except for walking (or vet visits, and if you do need to go to a vet make sure to book the appointment either first thing or at the end of the day) and she should be fine. Just be very aware of where she is at all times and she'll be grand.

Advertisement