Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed...

Options
  • 30-09-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Need a bit of advice about my two wonderful colliexspaniel pups.
    One of them was the runt of the litter, and as a result his development is a little bit stunted.
    He's not as quick to pick things up as his brother, and we're linking this to him not having the best start in life.

We treat both of them equally, if anything the little one probably gets more attention from visitors because he is so cute looking.

Anyway, last night we gave two of them these meaty bones to chew on. They both took them out into the garden. A few minutes later I went to make sure they were ok and the bigger one had left his bone and was eating the little ones bone. I picked up the other bone and gave it to the little one who started eating it straight away. But everytime my back was turned the big one would leave the bone he was eating and go over and take the little one's bone.

A while later the big guy brought his bone inside and the little one followed, leaving his bone outside. When the little one went over to the blanket the big one started growling at him - it came as a bit of a shock to us because we'd never heard him do this before.
    I went straight over to the big one and touched the bone, because i don't want him to become possessive about his food and he had no problem with me touching it, but growled at the little guy.

So, after all that, my question is - how can I train the little guy to man up? I don't want them to be vicious or anything like that, but I want the little guy to be able to stand up for himself.
    It's strange coz when they're playing, it's always the little one jumping on top of the big one and pulling at his ears.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

When I had two dogs, the same thing would happen, in reverse. The jack russle would steal the collies food, bed, anything he felt like really.

If there was treats going it had to be divided equally. I'm pretty sure they could count, if one got a piece the other knew he had to be next. For treats like a bone, I guess give the big dog his outside, and the little guy his inside. Maybe over time, having gotten used to stuff being "just his" he'll be like fock this and stick up for himself a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I think the fact that we were in the room must have had something to do with their growling.
    I had a late start this morning, so I gave them bones again. I left them shut out in the garden because I was trying to work. When I looked out the two of them were eating the bone.
    It was so cute - one at either end!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

My dogs do something similar. One of my dogs will take all the goodies for herself and her litter mate lets her. Even if I hand the quieter one a bone she wont eat it until the bossier dog has mouthed it a bit. I either put them in very separate areas or leave them to sort it out themselves (once there is no aggression).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's littermate syndome, as time goes on the more dominant pup will get very agressive to the submissive one and both will most likely have developmental and behaviour issues. It's never a good idea to have two pups at the same time. Loads of info on it in this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056034580

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

It's littermate syndome, as time goes on the more dominant pup will get very agressive to the submissive one and both will most likely have developmental and behaviour issues. It's never a good idea to have two pups at the same time. Loads of info on it in this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056034580

While I agree that it two pups from the same litter isnt ideal it doesnt have to be a disaster. My two are the easiest going dogs and in 9 and half years that I can count the number of they have snapped at each other. OP my two are spaniel collie x's too so just keep an eye on them and they will be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice.
    I've just skimmed through that other thread, I'm going to read it properly now.
    Was interesting reading about sibling rivalry. I'll keep a close eye on them and take on board some of the advice in that article.

Thanks again -A-

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I have two littermates, male and female, as well as the mother, and I've never had any trouble. But I was lucky in that I was able to be at home with them when they were pups so any issues that arose with their developing personalities were quickly addressed. Since they turned two, there have been some slight problems with one trying to dominate the other but nothing serious as again, we stepped in quickly to reassert our authority.

I will say though that the one time I bought a particular type of meaty bone treat, there were problems with one trying to take from the other which led to some loud noises and shenanigans. So I think the type of treat can trigger the Want Want Want! impulse.

Good for you for taking the runt of the litter. Many's a person wouldn't and while I will ooh and ahh over a cute looking dog myself, it's my opinion that it's the "lesser looking" dogs that can have real personality and be a joy to have.

Advertisement