Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search forum function for Gentlemen's club?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

When I log into boards I usually search my posts to see if anyone's replied to any of them.

I post on a few different forums so sometimes forget about posting in a thread which is why the 'find posts by' is so handy.

One of the forums I like is the Gentleman's club. However, like personal issues my posts there do not show up in the search function.

For the likes of PI/RI/LGBT I can understand why searching is disabled. TGC however is a different animal. It's like a male ladie's lounge (I know that's a pet hate of the mods but it is undeniable at this stage)

Anyway it isn't used for personal issues mostly, it is usually general discussion, and if you would like to discuss personal issues it is possible to post annonymously.

Therefore I do not see any reason for the search function not to include The Gentleman's Club, and I can see practical reasons for it using the search function.

Can this be changed?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

When I log into boards I usually search my posts to see if anyone's replied to any of them.

I post on a few different forums so sometimes forget about posting in a thread which is why the 'find posts by' is so handy.

One of the forums I like is the Gentleman's club. However, like personal issues my posts there do not show up in the search function.

For the likes of PI/RI/LGBT I can understand why searching is disabled. TGC however is a different animal. It's like a male ladie's lounge (I know that's a pet hate of the mods but it is undeniable at this stage)

Anyway it isn't used for personal issues mostly, it is usually general discussion, and if you would like to discuss personal issues it is possible to post annonymously.

Therefore I do not see any reason for the search function not to include The Gentleman's Club, and I can see practical reasons for it using the search function.

Can this be changed?

tGC *was* under sci and was called mens health, so the decision to remove it from search was probably taken then. I think we've had this discussion before, and I'm not sure what I said at that time, but for this thread, I have no objections to it being included in search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Aye it made more sense when the forum was just men's health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Wasn't there a thread and a poll on whether this should be changed and the result was no?

link it if you know where. interested to know why

The general argument given is that people don't want threads of a sensitive nature exposed to a wider, google sized audience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

link it if you know where. interested to know why

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055829838

It was close - 21 in favour of a search function, 23 against and 15 don't cares.

Ok, personally I think most sensitve threads seem to be annonymous or second account nowadays.

How about a new poll to see if feelings have changed in the past 8 months?

Ok, personally I think most sensitve threads seem to be annonymous or second account nowadays.

How about a new poll to see if feelings have changed in the past 8 months?

I agree with what you say and I also think that tGC has moved from mostly sci- to mostly soc- threads, but I'm also reluctant to have a poll every few months to change things, because where does it stop - in 8 months if people decided they don't want search..etc

I think this is going to have to be something that we leave to the mods to decide, to be honest. Laying my cards on the table, I support the search function being there, but leave it with me for a bit, I'll talk to the mods and we'll see.

If anyone has any arguments to make pro- or con, make them here and we'll take them into consideration.

any update on this?

no :o I was waiting to see if anyone would make a case one way or the other, and then forgot - thread started now.

edit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68692406#post68692406 thread for mods.

• Advertisement

apologies for the delay in this OP. No dissent from posters or mods, enabling search for tGC requested.

cheers!

This still doesn't work

Sorry - appropriate prodding done.

ok - should be done now - sorry for the delay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Delay was entirely my fault, sorry all. I flicked the wrong switch on the forum :o

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Subscribe to the thread and you will be told by e-mail and / or on the UserCP if someone has replied.

Advertisement