Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powered Trikes - Ultralight

Options
  • 30-09-2010 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Firstly This belongs Here, Yes It an aircraft, Yes it does FLY \_/

Firstly have a look
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_trike

I would love to try it, it is the least costly way to own your own aircraft.

Finally, it is my understanding that no licence is required, because its under a certian CC> I could be wrong, but in EU its not mandatory.

Regards

Laz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

Lazairus, what you're looking at is a flexwing microlight and I can assure you, you DO need a licence to fly one of these.

You're correct however on the point that it's one of the cheapest ways to operate your own aircraft, and it's the most fun flying you can do!

There's been a thread here recently from someone askong about training; you should check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

nosedive wrote: »
    Lazairus, what you're looking at is a flexwing microlight and I can assure you, you DO need a licence to fly one of these.

You're correct however on the point that it's one of the cheapest ways to operate your own aircraft, and it's the most fun flying you can do!

There's been a thread here recently from someone askong about training; you should check that out.

Yep, you need a licence for a flexwing, no question. However, you don't need a PPL for this:

IMG_0660.jpg

This is a powered paraglider trike and falls outside the definition of an 'aircraft'. Thing is, they're not that cheap (6-10k including training) and you DO need good instruction. Make no mistake, these things will kill you if you get it wrong, just like any other aircraft. I've flown paragliders and believe me, I'd be happier in a flexwing then a powered paraglider trike.
    To fly Paramotor in Ireland, pilots must apply for an exemption from the Irish Aviation Authority, or fly under the control of an IAA approved instructor. To apply for an exemption, pilots must produce evidence of an appropriate approved qualification, (BMMA & IHPA courses currently, and IPPHA syllabus) and provide a valid JAR- FCL Class2 medical Certificate.

Copies of the full Statutory Instruments may be obtained from the IAA website: www.iaa.ie

The main rules governing Paramotoring in Ireland are summarised here:

1. Pilots must hold a valid Class 2 medical at the time of any flight.

2. All Flights must be conducted in daylight Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) and in Class “G” airspace below 5,000ft above Mean Sea Level (AMSL).

3. No flight may be made at any height over:
    a. Any town, City or built-up area.
    b. Any area of commercial, residential or recreational use.
    c. Any open air assembly of persons, whether gathered in connection with an event of public entertainment or otherwise.

4. No passenger may be carried on any flight. ( unless instructor)

5. No flight shall be made for hire or reward or for any valuable consideration.

6. The pilot shall maintain a record of all flights made under this exemption in a suitable log book.

7. The pilots log book and Exemption shall be made available within a reasonable period to:
    a. An authorised Officer of the Authority.
    b. A member of the Garda Siochana.
    c. An officer of the Customs and Excise.

8. Any accident involving substantial injury or death of any person or substantial damage to the equipment being used for flying shall be reported in writing to the Authority, irrespective of any liability to report the same information to the Air Accident Unit of the Department of Transport.

9. Any flight made under the exemption shall be in compliance with the requirements of the airworthiness Standards Department of the Authority.

10. The exemption shall only be valid while the insurance cover is active.

11. The current exemptions are valid for one year only.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

sound

that clears that up, thanks for the info.

CH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Lazairus wrote: »
    sound

that clears that up, thanks for the info.

CH

I'm interested in getting into paramotoring myself, and the trike seems a better (less dangerous) way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Awesome stuff. I'm going to do some of my ultralight licence this year hopefully. You can do it on a car medical down here instead of a Class two which I fail on eyesight :)

I want a Czech Sports Crusier :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement