Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

get what you payed for?

• 30-09-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

A question for any computer buffs who hopefully might be able to answer this for me.

I bought a custom built pc some time back and when I bought it I requested and upgrade from an i7 920 to an i7 950 processor, for about an extra 200.00 euro.

My operating system reads the hardware as being the i7 950 which is fine but someone told me that they could have installed an i7 920 and just inputted it as an i7 950 in the BIOS when building the pc. Is this possible or is it the motherboard that picks up the identity itself from the processor?

There's a heatsink cooler installed on top of the processor and I don't want to go pulling it off to go checking physically.

Could any computer buff advise me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Very doubtful. Do you have any other reason to think this other than your paranoid friend?
    Does it perform at 920 levels instead of 950 in benchmarks for example?

Install CPU-Z.

It'll tell you exactly what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nadaly

Thanks, I'll install CPU-Z and check it out. I'd have never doubted except for the paranoid friend and the fact the pc builders told me I'd be waiting maybe a few weeks and yet it shipped straight away.

Advertisement