Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Writers Wanted!!!

Options
  • 30-09-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

I am starting a new publishing company dealing with female fiction writers
    I am looking for manuscripts from writers on all topics of novel length ie typically 20,000 words and upwards.
    If you are interested thats great just send me your manuscript :)
    Please feel free to contact me for any information

Have a good day! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

What's wrong with male writers? Why does your company discriminate against us?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Antilles wrote: »

It's the internet; anyone can be a female writer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Because men tend to not buy as much fiction as women, so really, it is men discriminating against men, the market just goes where the money is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Memnoch wrote: »
    Because men tend to not buy as much fiction as women, so really, it is men discriminating against men, the market just goes where the money is.

Not really, this makes the assumption that women tend to buy novels by female writers.

Not really, this makes the assumption that women tend to buy novels by female writers.

Well, Chick lit and romance are very strong selling genres. So strong in fact that female erotic literature is probably the ONLY kind that has become a viable and thriving online venture where readers actually pay to read digital fiction and authors can survive and indeed prosper purely on the money they make from online sales.

Women may buy novels from all writers, but far more of them seem to be keen on chick lit and the like. It's not a surprise really. Why are romantic comedy audiences female dominated? Same reason.

There is, of course, an implication in this that men cannot write women's fiction. While I'm sure there are some who can, I suspect most would struggle to do so authentically.

Edit: P.S. I'm of course ignoring the japanese mobile market as it isn't really relevant to what any of us are writing for the forseeable future. And that's not to say that there aren't writers in other genres who aren't making a living of digital stories, but the sheer number and success of female driven erotic fiction online is not to be laughed at.

• Advertisement

So male writers are barred from your publishing house because there's a stereotype that men can't write chick lit?

So male writers are barred from your publishing house because there's a stereotype that men can't write chick lit?

Not my publishing house though the question was probably not directed at me.

And yeah I do think that most male writers would struggle to write good chick lit that would truly connect with a female readership, I know I would.

As would I, but discriminating against a gender based on preconceived ideas about what they can or cannot write is shortsighted and sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i find it very offensive. How ever due to my lazyiness i won't be bringing the matter to the equality office. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I suppose 200k words would be too much then!

• Advertisement
Advertisement