Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to sit exams without attending or being a student?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

If you are a repeat student you are allowed to just sit exams without paying your registration fee or attending any classes. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this for a year you are not repeating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

SugarHigh wrote: »
    If you are a repeat student you are allowed to just sit exams without paying your registration fee or attending any classes. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this for a year you are not repeating?

No, sorry.

Edit: Huh, maybe I stand corrected. Seems rather off though, I mean if someone failed the first time round it means they NEED to go to lectures etc............unless someone thinks they can get away with just reading the coursework - might work, depends on the individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I did it years ago. The only thing i had to pay were the repeat exam fees which wasn't much at all. Ask the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Yeah you can do exams again without attending classes or the like. I did it a few years ago with the leaving cert repeated a few subjects i wanted. Still had to pay for the registration tough per exam. It wasn't that expensive really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to do this for a year you are not repeating?

Is it that you want to do a course/academic year without attending or paying fees, basically teaching youself, then do exams and get accreditation?
    TBH I don't know for sure, some courses have a required attendance. I did a course (fetac) that had 80% compulsory attendance - not sure if they'd actually enforce it though.
    I'd say contact your college and ask them, you never know what loopholes exist that aren't common knowledge. However, I'd say it's unlikely unless they offer some kind of correspondence course but you'd be looking at fees then too.

With the repeating a year thing - repeating externally. You are exempt tuition fees but might still have to pay registration?? I did it a good few years ago but afaik the college I was in doesn't allow it anymore.

Nothing concrete for you, sorry.

Advertisement